DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

experience crossing microwave PTP beams?

seventies

Reactions
hi, I mostly use the drone (Air 2S now) to take pictures and videos of PTP (Point To Point) radio towers; the frequency these towers use are mostly in the 7 and 11 GHz bands, quite far from the WiFi frequencies used by our drones; anyway the ERP (Effective Radiated Power) on those frequencies is in the 1-10+ kW range;
a pro receiver couldn't care less, but the DJI receivers and electronics are another stuff; simple and direct question: does anybody have a direct experience of crossing the narrow beam of hi-power PTP connections over 6.5 GHz at a short distance?
thank you in advance,
Andrew

Reactions: MS Coast
In the past when flying my Spark in an open field, there was a particular spot that affected the transmission of the Spark and would trigger a return to home.

I could fly below or above this band of whatever, but not through it.

There were a couple of water towers I would orbit that also effected the Spark once I got in front of the Yagi type of an antenna.

The Spark doesn't have Ocusync and I'm not sure if the Ocusync system would be affected the same.

this is very interesting, a Yagi is usually used below 1.2 GHz; I believe there are two possible problems: receiver overload (the signal pass thru all the filter stages/conversions), and it seems to be your spot problem, and EM interference with the electronics; in the first case, the drone should actually RTH, but what does it happen if the interference affects all other modules? in other words, how good are no-RF circuits shielded?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kokmer