DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Experience with the Ali Express and Sunnylife Cases?

js47

Reactions
Site
www.jakestarrphotography.com
I am looking for a case for transporting my OG Mavic 3 in a backpack (just the drone not the controller). I am currently using the bag from my Petzl ice climbing crampons with some bubblewrap — works well but a little annoying so time for an upgrade.

I see there are two versions available. One specifically says "Mavic 3" on the outside. The other looks largely similar but has some felt padding which looks like it might be more "comfortable" for the drone. It also has more precise looking cutouts. This one is branded "Sunnylife".

Does anyone have feedback on which of these suits the Mavic 3 better?

"Mavic 3" Embossed:
s-l1600-2.jpgs-l1600.jpg

Sunnylife:
s-l1600-3.jpgs-l1600-4.jpg

Sunnylife would be the one i would get
Those are what they call “semi” hard cases. They’re rigid but you can’t stand on them, not that you would but, they would collapse. They good to just toss them in the back of a car but maybe that’s about it. I have Nanuk cases for my MA2 and DJI FPV that are like, bullet proof. They’ve got a lot of different size cases and specific to DJI drones. Check ‘em out.
Good luck.

Reactions: Oman
I have the Sunnylife one for both my Mavic 3 and a separate one for my RC Pro. Works great. I put them in whatever backpack I am using along with my DSLR.

Chris

Reactions: js47
Those are what they call “semi” hard cases. They’re rigid but you can’t stand on them, not that you would but, they would collapse. They good to just toss them in the back of a car but maybe that’s about it. I have Nanuk cases for my MA2 and DJI FPV that are like, bullet proof. They’ve got a lot of different size cases and specific to DJI drones. Check ‘em out.
Good luck.

Thanks. I am not looking for something fully rigid as my backpack protects its contents enough already (I will not even be putting the RC into anything). Right now I use a crampon bag which is very soft so I think even these will offer much more protection!

I have the Sunnylife one for both my Mavic 3 and a separate one for my RC Pro. Works great. I put them in whatever backpack I am using along with my DSLR.

Chris

That's exactly my use case as well. When I'm traveling light I can fit the drone inside with my camera gear but if taking a long lens there is no space. Don't want the drone just floating around in the backpack with no protection (though I suppose it might be almost fine if I take the props off).

IMG_5730-2.jpg

I am looking for a case for transporting my OG Mavic 3 in a backpack (just the drone not the controller). I am currently using the bag from my Petzl ice climbing crampons with some bubblewrap — works well but a little annoying so time for an upgrade.

I see there are two versions available. One specifically says "Mavic 3" on the outside. The other looks largely similar but has some felt padding which looks like it might be more "comfortable" for the drone. It also has more precise looking cutouts. This one is branded "Sunnylife".

Does anyone have feedback on which of these suits the Mavic 3 better?

"Mavic 3" Embossed:
View attachment 165522View attachment 165523

Sunnylife:
View attachment 165524View attachment 165525
If ordering Sunnylife... expect long ship times.
I am still waiting on a gimbal cover that was ordered end of April.

I am selling the same exact one on ebay on the first post. Take a look & maybe save some money.

Just got my Sunnylife case this afternoon. First impression: mild disappointment.

Firstly, for something that is clearly tailor made for the Mavic 3, there is a frustrating amount of space on one side of the drone. Not the end of the world but a little questionable. Almost enough space for the DJI ND filters, but not quite.

Secondly, there is a lot less protection than the pictures would make you believe. The molded “cushions” are just filled with air and compress very easily. There is no protection at all on the bottom for the rear props — the drone sits on the floor of the case without even an air filled cushion below it. Similar situation for the top of the drone — there is a cushion up there but it is so thin you can easily compress the top of the case into the drone body.

Thirdly, for something that only has air for cushioning it is surprisingly heavy. It also has that classic “Chinese factory” smell to it which I hope will wear off quickly.

I will say that the soft-touch faux suede lining is quite nice feeling, and I think there is adequate protection for side impacts. It is just top and bottom impacts I’d want to be a little careful about.

Will post photos and weight tomorrow.

It appears that there are at least two versions of the Sunnylife case: the version I pictured in the first post, and the version I received. Not sure if there are actual tangible differences but it is definitely worth pointing out.

What I thought I was ordering:
s-l1600-4.jpg
What I actually ordered:
s-l1600.jpg

Here are some weights and photos. The DJI and Sunnylife bags are empty in the overview photo (Petzl bag is loaded with the drone).

IMG_8065.jpg

DJI Bag (from fly more kit):
  • 35cm x 27cm x 18cm
  • 1780g empty (!!!)
  • 2779g with drone (1 battery)
  • 2900g with drone (1 battery) and filters
  • 4550g with 4 total batteries + drone + RC-N1 + battery hub + wall charger + car charger + 4 spare props

Sunnylife Bag:
  • 27cm x 15cm x 11cm
  • 372g empty
  • 1371g with drone (1 battery)
  • Filters do not fit

Petzl Fakir Crampon Bag (all weights including bubble wrap):
  • 28cm x 13cm x 11cm
  • 151g empty
  • 1150g with drone only (1 battery)
  • 1271g with drone (1 battery) and filters

IMG_8066.jpgIMG_8075.jpgIMG_8074.jpg
IMG_8072.jpgIMG_8076.jpg