DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Experienced M2P owner. Almost pulled the trigger.

To mini or not to mini?

• Play the long game, save for the Sony A7R.

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • The medium game, smart controller for M2P.

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Instant gratification, click buy on the Mini.

Votes: 14 48.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hegemone

Reactions
I am right on the edge of buying a mm. I love the idea of a less risky way to fly into some places that would make my palms sweat with the M2P. Its really between this, or saving a bit more for a smart controller/crystal sky for the better screen, HDMI out for watchers etc. I had started ebaying old stuff just for giggles to buy a Sony a7r camera but the cash is just burning a whole in my pocket and the mini keeps calling my name. Especially with it basically being spring in Virginia.

Be the voice of reason, or not. Do I click buy or practice restraint?

why not, if its something you can have fun with but just remember when you fly it , it's not a M2P

if the wife spots it just tell it landed in hot water and when you recovered it ,it had shrunk

I am right on the edge of buying a mm. I love the idea of a less risky way to fly into some places that would make my palms sweat with the M2P. Its really between this, or saving a bit more for a smart controller/crystal sky for the better screen, HDMI out for watchers etc. I had started ebaying old stuff just for giggles to buy a Sony a7r camera but the cash is just burning a whole in my pocket and the mini keeps calling my name. Especially with it basically being spring in Virginia.

Suck it up and save for the M2P/SC. Thar's drugs for them sweaty palms!!

The wife won't have an issue. I made the cash selling old regrettable purchases on ebay. Like gaming keypads, an N64 console, and the like. I pretty much suck as a gamer so a razer orbweaver wasn't going to fix those issues. She doubted I could even get reasonable cash for junk like that. :)

Reactions: Gindra and E90RAW
My two cents,

If you are having issues with your current remote and or screen and feel hindered, then by all means you should get the smart remote.

If you aren’t having any issues and you enjoy flying drones the MM might be a cost effective way to fly without putting the wear and tear on your M2P. The batteries and propellers are cheaper and the flying experience is fun in my opinion. Of course its no M2P but it is a fun little drone that is easy to travel with and takes decent photos and video.

Get the Smart Controller for your M2P. You'll like the SC so much that you won't buy the Mini unil they come out with a version that will run on the SC!
I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for DJI to make a $300 drone that will run on a $700 SC. I fail to understand why ppl like the SC. I don’t trust it. I grounded my M2P until I was able to purchase a regular controller. My main complaints are

1. It cannot provide Internet capability via cellular service. Use a mobile as a hotspot? You may as well use a mobile with the regular controller.
2. The SC uses an ancient version of Android, and 3rd party support is spotty, at best. My unit greets me with “Google Play has stopped”, despite a complete factory reset, and DJI’s updates. It is impossible for me to change any app on the unit unless I use Android developers tools, and “side load “. Not for the faint hearted.
3. The darn thing should come with a neck strap for the price one pays.
4. Bizarre alerts pop up in Chinese, giving the only option “OK”

I was an early adopter, and bought the M2P/SC package right as released. Perhaps I have a lemon, but I believe the SC is a prima facie example of DJI being a good hardware maker, but miserable software developer.

At least until the MM was rushed out.

Of course use an existing cell phone as a hotspot - why not? Would you want to swap your cell phone sim card back and forth? Or would you want to pay a monthly fee for a sim card for your Smart Controller. The SC stands on it's own merits, excellent screen, convenient, no horsing around with connectors and cables, fast from open the case to in the air.

As to the other problems you experienced, the only one I've experienced is the need for a neckstrap - - one came in my fly-more kit.

Reactions: iFly4U and Gindra
I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for DJI to make a $300 drone that will run on a $700 SC. I fail to understand why ppl like the SC. I don’t trust it. I grounded my M2P until I was able to purchase a regular controller. My main complaints are

1. It cannot provide Internet capability via cellular service. Use a mobile as a hotspot? You may as well use a mobile with the regular controller.
2. The SC uses an ancient version of Android, and 3rd party support is spotty, at best. My unit greets me with “Google Play has stopped”, despite a complete factory reset, and DJI’s updates. It is impossible for me to change any app on the unit unless I use Android developers tools, and “side load “. Not for the faint hearted.
3. The darn thing should come with a neck strap for the price one pays.
4. Bizarre alerts pop up in Chinese, giving the only option “OK”

I was an early adopter, and bought the M2P/SC package right as released. Perhaps I have a lemon, but I believe the SC is a prima facie example of DJI being a good hardware maker, but miserable software developer.

At least until the MM was rushed out.

You’re absolutely right smart controller will never work with the Mavic Mini by design.

1. So what??? Sorry you can’t figure out how to use a hotspot that works better than a dongle. Every dongle I tried Did not work as good as my phone as a hotspot. Did you really want to pay for another Sim card?

2. The version of android used is irrelevant why do you even care - it works perfectly. That’s pretty much a meaning less complain just for the sake of complaining. There’s actually a good reason for sticking with seven but I won’t bore you with the details

3. You can buy a perfect neck strap for it it works better than any neck strap I’ve ever used.

4. I’ve never seen any Chinese pop up I don’t know what you did to yours but again not even true. Try setting your language correctly.

This is the best one it works perfectly

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: gppms and Gindra
I have a MP2 and an SC and the convenience of setup and fly Is sooo much better. No USB cords, no iPad, tablet, or phone and no need for a sunshade, or standing in my shadow, I do use my hotspot on my phone to load maps but not very often.

The android os on the SC totally sucks but I don't use it for a computer just a controller. I cant imagine why DJI didn't stick with iOS and add android as a downgrade ?. IF I need a bigger screen the iPad mini and original controller is in the bag.

The Mini, I was tempted to grab one for tight spaces and indoor shots but after seeing all the issues, frustrations and flyaways ill give it a while to see how they shake out.

If you want fun get an FPV quadcopter set up with goggles and a decent controller lots of fast action and skill required to fly but a lot of fun.

Oh what the heck, get the mini, and the SC and a quad set up and put the wife on eBay.?

Fair 'nuff. Specific reason or just not interested in general.
I almost bought one thank goodness I came here and find out all the issues.
After the Tello worked so well I’m surprised the mini had so many problems.

Reactions: scoble08

Yes- ditto- Have a M2P and happy with it. No plans to buy mini. For the few times I have to fly, why not fly the best.

I almost bought one thank goodness I came here and find out all the issues.
After the Tello worked so well I’m surprised the mini had so many problems.

No kidding! Amen to the Tello! I’ve had so much fun with it.

thanks folks. the mini comes this afternoon. I am sure you will see me poking around the mini forum once it arrives. I will just have to work an extra summer camp for the A7R or smart controller. THanks for sharing experiences they did help.

Reactions: Bobvt

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman