DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Experienced M2P owner. Almost pulled the trigger.

To mini or not to mini?

• Play the long game, save for the Sony A7R.

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • The medium game, smart controller for M2P.

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Instant gratification, click buy on the Mini.

Votes: 14 48.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You’re absolutely right smart controller will never work with the Mavic Mini by design.

1. So what??? Sorry you can’t figure out how to use a hotspot that works better than a dongle. Every dongle I tried Did not work as good as my phone as a hotspot. Did you really want to pay for another Sim card?

2. The version of android used is irrelevant why do you even care - it works perfectly. That’s pretty much a meaning less complain just for the sake of complaining. There’s actually a good reason for sticking with seven but I won’t bore you with the details

3. You can buy a perfect neck strap for it it works better than any neck strap I’ve ever used.

4. I’ve never seen any Chinese pop up I don’t know what you did to yours but again not even true. Try setting your language correctly.

This is the best one it works perfectly
Couldn't agree more on all counts! I have the same neck strap setup which is even more important since I also have the FreeWorld 7" monitor attached to my SC which makes the balance provided by this lanyard setup even more appreciated.

I really just wanted a fun drone that didn't require as much preplanning. Something I could toss in the car and pull off the side of a country road and shoot a decent picture or clip even if I wasn't planning on shooting. That and I have very little impulse control. :) The M2Pro will still be the go-to for the big stuff, like some OBX ocean shots later this month. :)

Reactions: jmrmavic2
You’re absolutely right smart controller will never work with the Mavic Mini by design.

1. So what??? Sorry you can’t figure out how to use a hotspot that works better than a dongle. Every dongle I tried Did not work as good as my phone as a hotspot. Did you really want to pay for another Sim card?

2. The version of android used is irrelevant why do you even care - it works perfectly. That’s pretty much a meaning less complain just for the sake of complaining. There’s actually a good reason for sticking with seven but I won’t bore you with the details

3. You can buy a perfect neck strap for it it works better than any neck strap I’ve ever used.

4. I’ve never seen any Chinese pop up I don’t know what you did to yours but again not even true. Try setting your language correctly.

This is the best one it works perfectly

1. I can setup a hotspot in 10 seconds. Once again, connecting to a hotspot defeats the concept of “fly and go”. Why DJI neglected to let is anyone’s guess.

2. DJI’s implementation of Android does not work perfectly. As I said, the 1st thing I receive on the display is that Google Play has stopped. I cannot add any apps, unless I use Amazon’s App Store.

I use Litchi, which took months to install. Why? DJI had not published its SDK, nor API specs. DJI also had not registered its home grown OS variant with Google (at that time) so DJI’s version of Google Play, Google Play Services, and other supporting services were considered rogue.

Despite having Litchi working perfectly on multiple other IOS and Android devices, I was forced to buy one more copy of Litchi...$20-30 USD. Not a huge cost when we’re talking about a $2k drone...but still.

Please bore me with the details about v7. I’m sure I will understand the arcane information regarding Android development.

3. Yes, I have purchased a ‘perfect’ neck strap for my SC as well. I purchased the M2P flymore kit. No neck strap was included. It seems like later pkgs did include a strap. I have also bought a sunshade. I have no gripe about having purchased accessories...but the OP is asking about buying a very expensive add-on. I think it should come with something as rudimentary as a lanyard, don’t you?

4. It is insulting for you to suggest I can’t set something as basic as language options. I haven’t done anything to my SC, other than try to make it work. Doesn’t your S.C. have several Chinese only options at the bottom of “developer tools”?

As usual, DJI support has been worthless regarding the SC.

A simple review of the SC forum will give you a history of the weird variety problems owners experience.

I was an early adopter, and have the expertise to make my way getting the SC to work reasonably. It’s in my junk cabinet. I now have a basic controller, a dedicated Samsung S9 & iPhone 7+ (depending on my mood) with fully functioning Internet, rock solid 3rd party apps, and Go4 working like a champ.

Safe flights!

I am right on the edge of buying a mm. I love the idea of a less risky way to fly into some places that would make my palms sweat with the M2P. Its really between this, or saving a bit more for a smart controller/crystal sky for the better screen, HDMI out for watchers etc. I had started ebaying old stuff just for giggles to buy a Sony a7r camera but the cash is just burning a whole in my pocket and the mini keeps calling my name. Especially with it basically being spring in Virginia.

Be the voice of reason, or not. Do I click buy or practice restraint?
if you think it's sketchy with the Mavic2P it's definitely going to be sketchy with a Mavic Mini buy Yourself a crystal sky why chance throwing $500 away

if you think it's sketchy with the Mavic2P it's definitely going to be sketchy with a Mavic Mini buy Yourself a crystal sky why chance throwing $500 away

I am thinking of more close-quarters flying for vids and pics. Also, a lot of my hesitation comes from the price point on the Mavic 2. The shot I keep seeing in my head is because I like to do some hiking in the Blue Ridge and would like to have some smooth and interesting shots down the trail in front of me.

I see what you're saying though. If I were to fly it like my M2P it would be long gone. lol. I purchased by amazon so I will have no issues with the return if it just isn't what I was hoping for. I appreciate the feedback.

I wish I had your problem of owning a M2P and looking for a better controller but my decision was based on saving for a M2P or settling for a MM.
I decided on the latter and ultimately decided I at least want to have 4K and sent it back and will compromise on a MA for now.
It doesn't have the sensor that the M2P has but my other concern is my flying skills thus far are similar to your gaming skills (regardless of how much I contort my body or stick my tongue out while trying to maneuver the AC ? )

Reactions: Hegemone
I wish I had your problem of owning a M2P and looking for a better controller but my decision was based on saving for a M2P or settling for a MM.
I decided on the latter and ultimately decided I at least want to have 4K and sent it back and will compromise on a MA for now.
It doesn't have the sensor that the M2P has but my other concern is my flying skills thus far are similar to your gaming skills (regardless of how much I contort my body or stick my tongue out while trying to maneuver the AC ? )

I think your rationalization makes a lot of sense, especially with the resale market on these things being what it is. I am always amazed at how much folks can get for nicely maintained equipment on this forum.

The m2p flys so well. I have never felt like it was out of control. For the longest time I couldn't justify it but then I had an extra chunk of side work come in and bit the bullet on that as well. I only do work outside of my regular job for splurge items. Once I get my 107 next Friday I want to do some odd photo video jobs to further my camera addiction. I would love to do some construction progress pics and things like that around town.

I am right on the edge of buying a mm. I love the idea of a less risky way to fly into some places that would make my palms sweat with the M2P. Its really between this, or saving a bit more for a smart controller/crystal sky for the better screen, HDMI out for watchers etc. I had started ebaying old stuff just for giggles to buy a Sony a7r camera but the cash is just burning a whole in my pocket and the mini keeps calling my name. Especially with it basically being spring in Virginia.

I purchased a Mavic mini in January And absolutely love it. Takes great Video and nice stills. Its not 4K but 2.7K is still HD. It is very responsive and the control interface is nice and simple. It doesn’t have all the fancy bells and whistle‘s like the obstacle avoidance etc. but if you are a good pilot and know how to fly that really shouldn’t be much of an issue.

Attachments

• BBB34DD2-3A87-4357-87D9-BDEE0A5BC01F.jpeg
    BBB34DD2-3A87-4357-87D9-BDEE0A5BC01F.jpeg
    230.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 40D808DE-8738-4D22-A86B-AF65D1452827.jpeg
    40D808DE-8738-4D22-A86B-AF65D1452827.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 19
Reactions: Hegemone
I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for DJI to make a $300 drone that will run on a $700 SC. I fail to understand why ppl like the SC. I don’t trust it. I grounded my M2P until I was able to purchase a regular controller. My main complaints are

1. It cannot provide Internet capability via cellular service. Use a mobile as a hotspot? You may as well use a mobile with the regular controller.
2. The SC uses an ancient version of Android, and 3rd party support is spotty, at best. My unit greets me with “Google Play has stopped”, despite a complete factory reset, and DJI’s updates. It is impossible for me to change any app on the unit unless I use Android developers tools, and “side load “. Not for the faint hearted.
3. The darn thing should come with a neck strap for the price one pays.
4. Bizarre alerts pop up in Chinese, giving the only option “OK”

I was an early adopter, and bought the M2P/SC package right as released. Perhaps I have a lemon, but I believe the SC is a prima facie example of DJI being a good hardware maker, but miserable software developer.

At least until the MM was rushed out.
That's the problem with buying new release. You never know. I have had no issues with my two SC's (knock on wood). I never need cellular data when flying, not sure why you would want that? As far as downloading new apps with wifi, I have had no problems. You can download email apps, et cetera.

Doesn’t your S.C. have several Chinese only options at the bottom of “developer tools”?
Are you sure you don't have the SC 2nd firmware update Jan 2020. That was faulty on a number of levels and had Chines language in some menu items. The 3rd update resolved all the previous firmware issues. I haven't got my SC handy to check but I don't recall any Chines language text anywhere after the final update.

I have zero plans on purchasing a MM. Just not really my thing per se. I especially steer clear due to the current issues the MM is reportedly experiencing. As for the Smart controller, I have had one from the day I bought my M2P and I love it! I have flown way up in the mountains of Pennsylvania and have never had any issues with signal. No need to rely on WiFi either, and one can simply preload maps ahead of time if needed. Freeing up your phone when you want to fly is a lovely thing IMO. If you already have a nice tablet, I suppose you can utilize that instead of a phone, but if you havent spent the coin on a tablet yet, I think the SC is the way to go.

The SC is the way to go. It offers 100% ease of flying with 0% assembly and prep. Ignore previous criticisms and up your fun!

Not mini,wasting 400$ is not smart, save for Mavic2pro with sc, I have both Mavic2pro and p4p and just today I was flying both , Inspire2 is my next purchase

What again does the mini have that the spark does not other than three axis

I just flew the mini around my classroom. So much fun. I would have never had the guts to do that with my M2P. So far so good. Now when that smart controller comes in I will be all set. Again my late night shopping addiction got the best of me and I ordered a SC. The mirrorless camera will just have to wait until the M2P can make me a few dollars. I guess I need to call State Farm again and add all this new stuff to the policy.

All these new toys (tools) just in time for all the ornamental trees to be in flower.

Reactions: Gindra
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danski_inthe_Sky