DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Exploring a canyon, got M2P hungup on fishing line, rescued it with my M2Z

Southfork1

Reactions
Got my Mavic 2 Pro stuck up under a tree that had mono fishing line hanging from it. Used my Mavic 2 Zoom with prop guards attached with flyrod tip sections attached extending out forward used to deliver a slipknot loop of para cord. Worked nicely! ...

Tested out fine after getting the mono pulled out of two engines, and replacing a couple props.

IMG_4917.jpgIMG_4925.jpgIMG_4928.jpgIMG_4935.jpgIMG_4936.jpgIMG_4938.jpg

You should start a drone rescue service. :)

I occasionally fly my Spark along the creek and river under the tree canopies and I'm always on the look out for the invisible threads of death hanging from the branches.

Glad you you got it back.

Last edited:
Brilliant recovery! Thanks for having the foresight to make a video of the whole process - I thoroughly enjoyed watching every second - breaking my usual rule that any video over three minutes needs more editing.

Litter composed of monofilament fishline is devastating. My wife and I send a lot of time around bodies of water and have encountered numerous birds tangled up in the stuff - nearly all dead or very close to it. I can understand a fisherperson’s frustration with getting hung up, losing their gear, etc. But cleaning up one’s mess is the cost of a responsible life.

Howard

Brilliant thinking and delighted you got it back.

However as a former teenage/early-20's fisherman I have to say I am appalled by the amount of monfilament I find at some of the local coastal fishing spots where I have been taking photos or flying, I would have expected better from fishermen.

So folks if you see any can I beg that you gather it, put in a bag and burn it. I wont even "bin it" as you never know where bin stuff ends up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Howard70
Really cool !!! Great job !!! I love seeing the second view from start top finish...of all the drones I have; only the Mavics will hover that still. Thanks for sharing.

I have to say I am appalled by the amount of monfilament I find ...
There was no easy way the fisherman could remove that mono line. I couldn’t get down there to collect my drone (with a long extension pole) or that mono after hiking back up with some rope. That said, the mono was likely 40lb. Huge line for catching large salmon and halibut, not the tiny trout in that stream.

That was really cool. Great rescue!

There was no easy way the fisherman could remove that mono line. I couldn’t get down there to collect my drone (with a long extension pole) or that mono after hiking back up with some rope. That said, the mono was likely 40lb. Huge line for catching large salmon and halibut, not the tiny trout in that stream.
Ah sorry, I wasn't asking that of you, I appreciate that it looks like such an attempt would have been dangerous. Rather, I was thinking more of other people who see tangles of fishing line snagged on reachable things, as I have been finding them.

Ah sorry, I wasn't asking that of you, I appreciate that it looks like such an attempt would have been dangerous. Rather, I was thinking more of other people who see tangles of fishing line snagged on reachable things, as I have been finding them.
A friend and I were fishing and saw a bird struggling near shore, we motored over with the boat and saw it was a blue Heron all tangled up in someone's ice fishing rig that had been left in the water. Being the environmentally conscious fellas we are, we decided to help this poor bird. Now we've seen Herons before but from a distance, these things are huge up close. We carefully grab this thing from the water and bring it in the boat and my buddy starts untangling the line from his wings and neck. Just as he's getting it freed, this thing rears back it's head and drove my buddy right in the forehead with it's beak. Knocked his glasses off and drew blood. Ungrateful SOB lol. Buddy said it felt like getting hit with a hammer. Of course I laughed.

Kudos
I've rescued aquatic birds before and for those with dangerous beaks I have always grabbed the beak, gently, and held onto it.
They could damage a human eye very easily.
I can't remember precisely how I held one, a gull, but it involved a finger being inside but across the beak, so I was probably trapping the upper and lower portions of the beak between three fingers. I got scolded for that by a neightbour on the grounds that the gulls around there often scavenged at a nearby rubbish tip and had access/exposure to all sorts of nasty 'bugs'.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that's what the bird was aiming for. Had he not been wearing glasses, losing an eye would have been quite possible. Learning experience for sure.

The video was spectacular great flying down the falls, fishing line is impossible to see. Great rescue. Thanx for sharing !!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+