DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Extending a friendly heads up

DTC709

Reactions
Has anyone here ever reached out and politely lent another flyer some info regarding local rules and regs?

Canada’s drone laws are fairly strict.. like most things, but manageable, I live in a fairly sparsely populated so it’s very easy to manage for me.

But I recently seen a video posted to a local off-road group and I know the area, it falls into a 5.5km radius no fly zone due to a sea plane base.. which has 1 sea plane, so that’s annoying, but the pond is frequented by 1-2 water bombers for training, fires, etc.

So I reached out over Facebook messenger and sent a friendly message, complementing the video, sharing the UAV Forcast app that you can set your own thresholds to compliment local laws. I think it all went fairly well, he said he wasn’t aware and was friendly about it all as well.

Sorry for the winded post, we don’t have to be total sticklers about the rules in place, just respect them and your surroundings and you can always bend them if you do so.

I surely can’t be the only one helping keep this hobby from getting into more trouble!

Reactions: Jordak
Has anyone here ever reached out and politely lent another flyer some info regarding local rules and regs?

Canada’s drone laws are fairly strict.. like most things, but manageable, I live in a fairly sparsely populated so it’s very easy to manage for me.

But I recently seen a video posted to a local off-road group and I know the area, it falls into a 5.5km radius no fly zone due to a sea plane base.. which has 1 sea plane, so that’s annoying, but the pond is frequented by 1-2 water bombers for training, fires, etc.

So I reached out over Facebook messenger and sent a friendly message, complementing the video, sharing the UAV Forcast app that you can set your own thresholds to compliment local laws. I think it all went fairly well, he said he wasn’t aware and was friendly about it all as well.

Sorry for the winded post, we don’t have to be total sticklers about the rules in place, just respect them and your surroundings and you can always bend them if you do so.

I surely can’t be the only one helping keep this hobby from getting into more trouble!
That guy may have seemed nice enough, but he was probably thinking something else. I think many people would have the mind frame of "this guy needs to mind his business." I think it's just more human nature than anything. I personally would listen to you and treat you respectfully myself, as long as I was approached in the same manner. But no matter how friendly the interaction appeared, you approached someone out of the blue and corrected them. Most people simply dont like unsolicited advice. It would almost be like going up to someone in a parking lot and telling them it's the law that they have to use their blinker or come to a complete stop at a stop sign. There is a good chance they really knew and just didn't want to make an issue out of it. They may have just said what they did to make you go away. Just my 2 cents and something to consider. Others may not be so friendly.

That guy may have seemed nice enough, but he was probably thinking something else. I think many people would have the mind frame of "this guy needs to mind his business." I think it's just more human nature than anything. I personally would listen to you and treat you respectfully myself, as long as I was approached in the same manner. But no matter how friendly the interaction appeared, you approached someone out of the blue and corrected them. Most people simply dont like unsolicited advice. It would almost be like going up to someone in a parking lot and telling them it's the law that they have to use their blinker or come to a complete stop at a stop sign. There is a good chance they really knew and just didn't want to make an issue out of it. They may have just said what they did to make you go away. Just my 2 cents and something to consider. Others may not be so friendly.

No doubt, I’d almost think that would be a given. But I wouldn’t compare it to not using a signal light, that would be more along the terms of flying out pass where you can actually see your quad with the naked eye, which we all know isn’t to far lol

I wouldn't mind being politely told about a seaplane base nearby. Odds are most drone owners do not check maps to look for runways out in the sticks. It all depends on the delivery and you handled it well.

Reactions: DTC709
I wouldn't mind being politely told about a seaplane base nearby. Odds are most drone owners do not check maps to look for runways out in the sticks. It all depends on the delivery and you handled it well.

My thoughts as well, I think we’d all be surprised to know how many people out there don’t even know there are rules that apply to flying quads and the like.

I was out in a small coastal town flying a couple weeks ago, I was getting low on battery anyways when a individual came over to talk to me about my Mavic, he had a cheaper basically no name quad and was set that you where aloud to fly up to 1000ft altitude. I told him about all the local rules and he was glad for it. Had a solid chat with him about the Mavic and he went on his way. But shows how people have no idea of a lot of the rules

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS