DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 Extraordinary Colorado 14er hike on Huron Peak!

Karlewski

Reactions
This was a very friendly mountain climb on a beautifully improved trail up Huron Peak. I was pleasantly surprised just how entertaining it was with many fellow climbers and extraordinary vistas throughout. . . I picked it as a first climb after my biceps surgery although, as usual, I did end up getting carried away on that trip and also trail blazing a technical route on an incredibly intimidating tower strewn ridge, I just could not resist and that pioneering route also worked out AWESOME, coming soon!

Awesome views - thanks for taking us along!

Very nice. I can’t remember the last time I watched more than about 90 seconds of a video. I’ve watched nearly all of this one.

Excellent video. Good composition and colors. Nice use of different elements - Google Earth (I'm assuming), handheld video (again I assume with a gimbal), and your drone shots all well executed. Living in New Mexico and having kids and grandkids in Fort Collins, we've been through that area - not climbing the mountain, just driving. Well done.

I really enjoyed your video. I did skip through some of it, but watched most of it til the end. There were some parts I didn't feel like I was watching it through the eyes of a drone ... even though I was - I thought that was pretty cool - nice work. I liked the dolly zoom effects too. I gave you a like on YouTube. :)

Great work vid Karl!

I heard a rumour that you crashed your Mavic Mini filming those mountain bikers coming down the mountain towards the end of the video. How did you manage that? You looking like you were filming from a decent height and I couldn’t see any trees near the bikes.

Always a pleasure to bring my buddies along! I was surprisingly satisfied with this basic hike, the views and the company were great! The trail was also very well improved and, the day before I had a very intimidating trail blazing climb up a spike laden ridge that satisfied my adventurous side thoroughly. . . I do not use a gimbal, my secret, if I know camera shaking is going to be an issue I shoot in 30 FPS and play/edit in 24 FPS at 80% speed for a smoothing slo mo effect while also being very careful with my movement, The I phone and go pro stabilization is amazing help too. . . Lots of practice, planning and focus. . . never hurts. . .
Ya Terry, I did crash the Mini 2 filming this adventure and again on the very next trip as well. BOTH times I definitely suffered from "invulnerability" as defined in the part 107 training. I think this is the biggest threat to experienced pilots with good track records. "Never will happen to me. . . " Both times I was searching for the best angle/subject after I flew by it and foolishly decided I could simply fly backwards relatively near terrain and "it would be OK." I was positive both times the drone was no where near anyone as I was no where near any trafficked area and had an observer, just cliffs and trees. . . Astonishingly, both times it turned out, not disastrous. . . The first time, the mini actually bounced up off rocks and leveled out, I punched full throttle straight up immediately and it flew away, incredible dumb luck and I only dislodged an internal leg mount screw and got a tiny crack in the body, yes, Dumb luck! The second time, I was backing down a heavily forested valley over a stream and the stream had a dog leg, protruding treed ridge, hello pine tree. Tumbles through branches and after 30 minutes of exhausting dashing through the stream and over a bunch of unforgiving terrain while intermittently regaining signal to guide me using find my drone and a compass I found it intact after almost stepping on it. . . OMG What an idiot. . . The SD card had some of the best footage I've ever shot as well, almost lost, you'll see soon. . Two huge lessons I learned, the FAA covered those topics for a reason and I need to heed their advice much better. . . and second.
Both times I KNEW BEFORE the crashes I was making a mistake and even said so to the friend observing for me and warning me. Definitely invulnerability. . . Both times I would have simply turned the drone around to get a closer look through the camera at my clearance BUT, I have my Yaw turned WAY DOWN to shoot smooth footage and that does work well. The solution I have implemented since. . . On sport setting, a setting I rarely fly or film in to save battery, I have turned the yaw up lots so I can easily go to that setting and yaw/look around without taking forever to survey my immediate surroundings. Then switch back to my shooting modes, normal/cine after I know my exact ground clearance in my desired direction of travel. Simply hitting the 90 degree gimbal tilt function button could be helpful too. It is almost impossible to judge depth well when looking at the drone LOS while it is below the horizon. . . despite being able to see it. . . Seeing the drone does not insure you're clear unless your LOS is above the horizon or the drone is very close. . . In that regard, LOS can give you a false sense of security. Clear Air between the drone and the terrain is the only sure way to be sure using LOS alone. Live and learn, I was relatively lucky and I know it. . .

Last edited:
Great stuff, have you managed to get any good footage on the Sharp End, sadly it's hard to get footage myself out here in the east, I mostly climb at the Gunks and no drones allowed.

This was a very friendly mountain climb on a beautifully improved trail up Huron Peak. I was pleasantly surprised just how entertaining it was with many fellow climbers and extraordinary vistas throughout. . . I picked it as a first climb after my biceps surgery although, as usual, I did end up getting carried away on that trip and also trail blazing a technical route on an incredibly intimidating tower strewn ridge, I just could not resist and that pioneering route also worked out AWESOME, coming soon!
Cool video!

Nicely done. That wasn't Twin Lakes, they are in the opposite direction and you can't see them from Huron. What you saw was Taylor Reservoir. Ice and the Apostles have claimed a few over confident hikers over the years. You took some great video of a meadow I owned below the peak. Bought my Air to film that property, but was stymied by the 400 foot limit. Ahem. Wink wink.

Epic!

Always a pleasure to bring my buddies along! I was surprisingly satisfied with this basic hike, the views and the company were great! The trail was also very well improved and, the day before I had a very intimidating trail blazing climb up a spike laden ridge that satisfied my adventurous side thoroughly. . . I do not use a gimbal, my secret, if I know camera shaking is going to be an issue I shoot in 30 FPS and play/edit in 24 FPS at 80% speed for a smoothing slo mo effect while also being very careful with my movement, The I phone and go pro stabilization is amazing help too. . . Lots of practice, planning and focus. . . never hurts. . .
Ya Terry, I did crash the Mini 2 filming this adventure and again on the very next trip as well. BOTH times I definitely suffered from "invulnerability" as defined in the part 107 training. I think this is the biggest threat to experienced pilots with good track records. "Never will happen to me. . . " Both times I was searching for the best angle/subject after I flew by it and foolishly decided I could simply fly backwards relatively near terrain and "it would be OK." I was positive both times the drone was no where near anyone as I was no where near any trafficked area and had an observer, just cliffs and trees. . . Astonishingly, both times it turned out, not disastrous. . . The first time, the mini actually bounced up off rocks and leveled out, I punched full throttle straight up immediately and it flew away, incredible dumb luck and I only dislodged an internal leg mount screw and got a tiny crack in the body, yes, Dumb luck! The second time, I was backing down a heavily forested valley over a stream and the stream had a dog leg, protruding treed ridge, hello pine tree. Tumbles through branches and after 30 minutes of exhausting dashing through the stream and over a bunch of unforgiving terrain while intermittently regaining signal to guide me using find my drone and a compass I found it intact after almost stepping on it. . . OMG What an idiot. . . The SD card had some of the best footage I've ever shot as well, almost lost, you'll see soon. . Two huge lessons I learned, the FAA covered those topics for a reason and I need to heed their advice much better. . . and second.
Both times I KNEW BEFORE the crashes I was making a mistake and even said so to the friend observing for me and warning me. Definitely invulnerability. . . Both times I would have simply turned the drone around to get a closer look through the camera at my clearance BUT, I have my Yaw turned WAY DOWN to shoot smooth footage and that does work well. The solution I have implemented since. . . On sport setting, a setting I rarely fly or film in to save battery, I have turned the yaw up lots so I can easily go to that setting and yaw/look around without taking forever to survey my immediate surroundings. Then switch back to my shooting modes, normal/cine after I know my exact ground clearance in my desired direction of travel. Simply hitting the 90 degree gimbal tilt function button could be helpful too. It is almost impossible to judge depth well when looking at the drone LOS while it is below the horizon. . . despite being able to see it. . . Seeing the drone does not insure you're clear unless your LOS is above the horizon or the drone is very close. . . In that regard, LOS can give you a false sense of security. Clear Air between the drone and the terrain is the only sure way to be sure using LOS alone. Live and learn, I was relatively lucky and I know it. . .
Two crashes in two trips. You may need to trade up to the MA2S just to get those anti-crash sensors back. :)

Great stuff, have you managed to get any good footage on the Sharp End, sadly it's hard to get footage myself out here in the east, I mostly climb at the Gunks and no drones allowed.
I wish, I'm the only pilot. . . and the crags are so crowded. It is one of the reasons I do more backcountry ascents. . . The key to good footage of a climber is lots of dynamic motion and that can be pretty tough. I do have lots of sick shots while on all kinds of crazy summits though. . . very dynamic as well.

Two crashes in two trips. You may need to trade up to the MA2S just to get those anti-crash sensors back. :)
That way I can crash an even more expensive drone :-( LOL I will, I'm heading for a big Wilderness climb next though, closed to drones but, seriously epic mountain! Capital Peak, notorious. . . but I do all the notorious routes so. . . what the heck!

Beautiful place for a walk. Good video

That way I can crash an even more expensive drone :-( LOL I will, I'm heading for a big Wilderness climb next though, closed to drones but, seriously epic mountain! Capital Peak, notorious. . . but I do all the notorious routes so. . . what the heck!
You didn’t crash your MA2, you just tossed it over a cliff upon launch. ;)

BTW, I think it’s spelt “Capitol Peak”. The spelling is important to get views from YouTube search and Google search.

I wish, I'm the only pilot. . . and the crags are so crowded. It is one of the reasons I do more backcountry ascents. . . The key to good footage of a climber is lots of dynamic motion and that can be pretty tough. I do have lots of sick shots while on all kinds of crazy summits though. . . very dynamic as well.
Ahh of course... Colorado, that makes sense. I was thinking more of the awesome photos you could get of a climber without having to rap in though.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
palaiouras