DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Extreme vs Extreme PRO SD Card

mavictom

Reactions
Just got the Mavic Air as my first drone and looking into which SD card to buy. I understand DJI recommends the Extreme and Extreme PRO. I see alot of MA owners recommending the PRO, but it seems the only difference is the faster read speed. Are there any other advantages that make it worth the purchase?

Just got the Mavic Air as my first drone and looking into which SD card to buy. I understand DJI recommends the Extreme and Extreme PRO. I see alot of MA owners recommending the PRO, but it seems the only difference is the faster read speed. Are there any other advantages that make it worth the purchase?

I use the straight Extreme in both the MA and M2P and they work great. Never seen the need to go to the Pro.

Reactions: nilomiclat
The write speed is what's important. According to Sandisk, the Extreme Pro writes at 90 MB/s and the Extreme at 40 MB/s.

I have standardized on the Sandisk Extreme Pro, they haven't let me down yet. For the low price they are now HERE ON AMAZON, you can't beat it, sure they are a couple dollars more but well worth it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tiago_Wolf
they are basically the same card. they are both v30 rated cards, so that means they both have a absolute minimum write speed of 30MB/sec, which is all you care about. the whole "max write speed" of 40 on the extreme vs 90 on the pro is irrelevant, burst speeds are worthless on video recording.

Look for the 'U3' logo on the card as that identifies the card as being able to sustain the WRITE speeds needed for HD video.

ScanDisk-Extreme-Pro-microSD-press.jpg

they are basically the same card. they are both v30 rated cards, so that means they both have a absolute minimum write speed of 30MB/sec, which is all you care about. the whole "max write speed" of 40 on the extreme vs 90 on the pro is irrelevant, burst speeds are worthless on video recording.
The reason I use the Extreme Pros is for the burst speed AKA Max Write Speed. I shoot a lot of DNG's, as we all know these files can be quite large and when you are shooting a hyperlapse (which I do a lot) the burst speed is very important.

The reason I use the Extreme Pros is for the burst speed AKA Max Write Speed. I shoot a lot of DNG's, as we all know these files can be quite large and when you are shooting a hyperlapse (which I do a lot) the burst speed is very important.
Except that your super-fast card is going to be waiting for the slow camera to write the files.
It's the camera write speed that stet the pace and paying for a supposedly faster card won't make the files write any faster.

Last edited:
I can understand the extreme pro and speed is essential, has there been problems with 64 gig, I use 32gig remove to computer and format after every time I go out.

I can understand the extreme pro and speed is essential, has there been problems with 64 gig, I use 32gig remove to computer and format after every time I go out.
None whatsoever. I use both 32GB and 64GB Extreme Pros without any issues. I've been using just those for over a year now. I made the switch when I was getting dropped frames using the Extreme and Ultra cards while doing hyperlapses and panoramas, that hasn't happened since. Whether it's the faster burst speed or not it's worth the extra couple bucks knowing the camera buffer won't be full just at the wrong time.

I am starting to sound like a broken record around here haha - there must be 2 dozen other identical posts like the one I'm about to make:

I really think it's important to get in the habit of not looking at the fancy names on memory cards. Not only do they mean absolutely nothing, but manufacturers mix and match names so you might buy one "extreme" card that works, and another "extreme" card that does not meet spec.

The *only* thing that matters for video is minimum sustained write speed. This is *not* determined by any particular type of card brand or model, but the symbols that are on every card.

The Mavic Writes at 100Mbps which is 12.5MB/s. You need a card with a minimum sustained write speed over 12.5MB/s, with some headroom. This is accomplished by buying a card with a "U3" and/or "V30" label on it, telling you that the minimum sustained write speed is at least 30MB/s. There are no U2/V20 cards otherwise those would probably be fine too.

U1 / Class 10 cards are all too slow and you will drop frames - these are the cards often on sale for ridiculous prices which can be tempting, but do not give in.

So when someone tells you they use a "Samsung Evo" or a "Sandisk Extreme" and it works, that doesn't actually help you at all.

Every 15 minutes of shooting or roughly every battery is ~11.3 GB, so if you have the Fly More Combo you can run through all 3 batteries on a 64GB card. Personally I wouldn't put any more eggs in the basket than that in case of a failure, but obviously that is entirely up to you.

More detailed memory card info in my post here:

Tips for New Flyers

sandisk-ultra-plus-16gb-microsdhc-class-10-uhs-1-memory-card-grayred.jpgslowcard .... :eek:

ScanDisk-Extreme-Pro-microSD-press.jpg fastcard .... Thumbswayup

1544563040716.pngdon'tbuy .... :eek:

1544563143715.png dobuy ... Thumbswayup

Attachments

• ScanDisk-Extreme-Pro-microSD-press.jpg
    ScanDisk-Extreme-Pro-microSD-press.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 47

Not really too relevant either. The Mavic 2 Pro's camera is 5472×3648 which equates to a 20MP camera size. so at 1 shot a second, your still only writing 20MB/sec, a hyper lapse, I doubt your taking more than 1 shot every few seconds, so "pro" card still doesn't make a difference. As long as its V30/U3 rated, is all that matters.

Not really too relevant either. The Mavic 2 Pro's camera is 5472×3648 which equates to a 20MP camera size. so at 1 shot a second, your still only writing 20MB/sec, a hyper lapse, I doubt your taking more than 1 shot every few seconds, so "pro" card still doesn't make a difference. As long as its V30/U3 rated, is all that matters.

That's actually not how it works :) Megapixels do not equal file size.

You may be writing 20 megapixels per second at 1 shot per second but that has little to do with the resulting file size. A Mavic 2 Pro DNG is approximately 40MB, and that will fluctuate depending on what is in the scene (more information = bigger file).

What matters just as much is how fast the memory controller is in the Mavic Air itself - if the speed at which the Mavic Air can write to a card is not as fast as the card, any headroom you think you may have by using a faster card is technically a waste. The entire imaging chain from capture to card operates only as fast as the weakest link.

For video, you are correct that U3/V30 is all that matters because there is no way to get the M2P to write faster than 100Mbps (12.5MB/s).

My DNG's on average are about 40 to 42mb each, and the buffer was filling using the Extreme and Ultra cards. Just giving my personal experience with the other cards and why I use the Pro's. Stick a slower card in and start shooting DNG's and watch how slow the write progress ring around the shutter button goes, then throw a Pro card in and try. With the slower cards you'll find yourself mashing the shutter button in frustration wondering why the shutter won't fire.

Speed the u3 got me thinking I have a cheap vivatar 360 takes terrible video ,wonder if that might improve clarity

Speed the u3 got me thinking I have a cheap vivatar 360 takes terrible video ,wonder if that might improve clarity

The memory card is going to do nothing for the actual clarity of the footage.

If the bitrate of that camera is higher than the card you're using though, a faster card will prevent it from dropping frames. I only did a quick google search but I would be shocked if that camera needed more than a 10 MB/s (80Mbps) write speed.

Reactions: MadMaqx
My DNG's on average are about 40 to 42mb each, and the buffer was filling using the Extreme and Ultra cards. Just giving my personal experience with the other cards and why I use the Pro's. Stick a slower card in and start shooting DNG's and watch how slow the write progress ring around the shutter button goes, then throw a Pro card in and try. With the slower cards you'll find yourself mashing the shutter button in frustration wondering why the shutter won't fire.
Exactly!

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 32
Anyone notice the Extreme PRO 32gb and 64gb are only sold on Amazon and eBay now? My local DJI store in Costa Mesa, CA carries them. I asked Sandisk about this and they replied - "The current availability of the Extreme Pro cards are impacted as decided by the marketing/sales department."

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78