DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA 107 exam

midwestsherpa

Reactions
Hi pilots - going to pursue taking the exam; I see prep courses offered frequently for $150-200; curious if you all have an opinion on the topic - i.e.; are they worth it? Cheaper alternatives? What experience is out there to glean from? My sincere thanks!

Hi pilots - going to pursue taking the exam; I see prep courses offered frequently for $150-200; curious if you all have an opinion on the topic - i.e.; are they worth it? Cheaper alternatives? What experience is out there to glean from? My sincere thanks!
My 2 cents is that if you want to learn it as quickly and efficiently as possible with the most up to date information, then the paid courses are a good deal. Most if not all the paid courses have perpetual licenses so you can refer back to them for you recurrent exams. Therefore you are not just paying for test prep for one exam but for exam prep for every two years with updating material. While I knew quite a bit already from having been a recreational pilot, I studied for maybe 8 solid hours and passed my first time using a paid course.

Having said all that, you can learn all you need to know from free sources and many people do. For me I just have ADD too severely to watch a 2 hour YouTube video where joe somebody is trying to explain airspace saying um every three words, going off on some unrelated aside that doesn’t have to do with anything I need to know, and who, for all I know is explaining it incorrectly.

A3A28AC4-91C3-44E6-9144-1A7A82E367BE.gif

Im sure there are good free ones out there but I found the paid program I used to be extremely concise offering all programming into both video format and written format.

I too have finally come to grips with having to get fully certified if I am going to continue flying for my production company. I too thought I could just use free materials at hand but attempting that, I found it a bit confusing about just what I needed to learn. To that end I signed up with Gold Seal for no other reason other than several of my contemporaries used them with great success. I think there may actually be a sale going on at this very moment. What I like about them is the course is broken down into modules that contain 8-10 lessons ranging from 5-30 minutes apiece. The real take away for me is at the end of each module, you have the option to take a quiz based on what you just learned. If you fail or want a higher score, you either retake the test or review the module. You are almost forced to do the review, which in my case is a good thing, particularly in the Sectional Charts portion. Also there are no less than a million acronyms, many of which you need to know. Then once you have completed the modules, you can take an overall test, which apparently parallels the actually FAA Exam. IMO, it's totally worth the money. The course does NOT have a time frame and from what I can tell, is yours to keep. I am sure there are other paid courses that mirror Gold Seal so Googling Drone Certification Courses should give you several to choose from. Do the research, check reviews and even make inquiries via this forum to see who used what to get their Part 107 Certificate.
That's my 3¢ worth.

To add my 2 cents - I also used GoldSeal. Completed the course, followed their recommendation on how to prepare for the test and passed on my first attempt. Very satisfied with the course, the quick response to any questions I had and they are also an approved vendor on this site, which helps keep it free for those that do not wish to get the premium membership

Reactions: midwestsherpa
@brett8883 and @allenface thanks for the guidance; sounds like it's worth the spend as I'm looking to simplify this process within reason...
One last piece of advice is that the test is probably 70% on reading sectional charts. What nobody told me is that the sectional chart questions are based off of an exam booklet that is used for all FAA exams and in the front of the book is the sectional chart key. So if you forget what a symbol means while you are taking the test you can refer to the chart key in the font of the booklet to look up what the symbol means.

I used gold seal as well - pretty painless with them.
Plus you can call in anytime with a question and a flight instructor will help you.

I too have finally come to grips with having to get fully certified if I am going to continue flying for my production company. I too thought I could just use free materials at hand but attempting that, I found it a bit confusing about just what I needed to learn. To that end I signed up with Gold Seal for no other reason other than several of my contemporaries used them with great success. I think there may actually be a sale going on at this very moment. What I like about them is the course is broken down into modules that contain 8-10 lessons ranging from 5-30 minutes apiece. The real take away for me is at the end of each module, you have the option to take a quiz based on what you just learned. If you fail or want a higher score, you either retake the test or review the module. You are almost forced to do the review, which in my case is a good thing, particularly in the Sectional Charts portion. Also there are no less than a million acronyms, many of which you need to know. Then once you have completed the modules, you can take an overall test, which apparently parallels the actually FAA Exam. IMO, it's totally worth the money. The course does NOT have a time frame and from what I can tell, is yours to keep. I am sure there are other paid courses that mirror Gold Seal so Googling Drone Certification Courses should give you several to choose from. Do the research, check reviews and even make inquiries via this forum to see who used what to get their Part 107 Certificate.
That's my 3¢ worth.

from my experience, the key to passing the test is a solid understanding of airspace and charts. many of the questions involve both; they point you to an area on a sectional chart and ask 'can you fly here?'. the answer lies in 'what airspace are you in?'. airspace is most certainly confusing. chart reading is more straightforward but the charts are really crammed with little details and lots of information; colors, dashed vs solid lines and little symbols are very important. this isn't something you'll master after a couple of sessions. it requires a good amount of study and periodic review to stay on top of it.

a good pictorial of airspace, IMHO, can be found at The Mystery of US sUAS Airspace. i also recommend getting a real sectional chart. doesn't have to be the latest one but it should be close. spend some time studying ALL of the sections of the chart; there's a wealth of information on them. they can be confusing at first and clarity comes with time. if you're close to a regional or county airport you can possibly get one there.

my approach was to review the airspace and sectional definitions and then take as many practice exams as i could find, figure out why i missed the ones i did, review, take another practice exam... lather, rinse, repeat. like everything else available on the internet, some are better than others. one of the better ones, IMHO, can be found at Section 107.73 Initial & Recurrent Knowledge Test (with practice questions!)

i also found that the FAA exams are like other exams in that the questions include a lot of information that just isn't important. i learned to read the last sentence first since this tells you what you need to answer. then go back and read the entire question and you can easily filter out the 'noise'. it works for me.

like anything else patience and attention to detail are important. good luck with the test; i'm sure you'll do fine.

You mentioned a sectional chart, are you taking about Remote Pilot sUAS Study Guide: FAA-HG8082-22,
Part 107 Drone Certification Study Guide? Is that the booklet, paper back.?

Free Tony Northrup video is great to get your started:
This is the Testing Supplement you are given for the test. https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/supplements/media/sport_rec_private_akts.pdf
Study it and know it well so when you take the test you will be familiar where things are and what is on it.
Lastly a paid course that is awesome is RemotePilot101.com
I took the test a couple of weeks ago and aced it with lots of study time.
Most if not all test centers are shut down now due to the COVID-19

I ordered "FAA 107 License Study Guide" by Damon Darnall (the Drone Boss) and read through it. They even give you a link to an online test to take. I have not been able to take the test due to the covid 19 stuff going on, but I don't think I would have any problem passing the test. I actually called to setup the test the same day the lock down started. So, I am definitely waiting for the time I can take the test. But I found the book very helpful. There are some very good YouTube videos to watch as well.

Free Tony Northrup video is great to get your started:
This is the Testing Supplement you are given for the test. https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/supplements/media/sport_rec_private_akts.pdf
Study it and know it well so when you take the test you will be familiar where things are and what is on it.
Lastly a paid course that is awesome is RemotePilot101.com
I took the test a couple of weeks ago and aced it with lots of study time.
Most if not all test centers are shut down now due to the COVID-19
Yea that’s the one nice find! ?

There’s no doubt you have to study and learn this material to pass the test but there are lots of answers to many of the questions spelled out in the appendix of this booklet which you can refer to during the test if you know it’s there.
E76B42C0-9768-452A-A50B-A75C2D7AC5A8.png

I have my Part 107 license but will need to renew it soon. I originally paid for an online subscription and passed my exam but the course was fairly difficult (and I don’t remember much of it, honestly). I realized I subscribed to a Youtube channel awhile back... Pilot Training Systems. They just posted a video announcing a free drone training course. It may be something to look into! I am thinking about checking it out myself during all this downtime.

I took the 107 course by Pilot Institute and am glad I did. Sure, I could have found the material myself, studied it, and taken the available practice exams. But with a structured course, I knew I’d get detailed and complete instruction, and could take the exam with confidence. If you want to really learn the required material and not just pass the exam, I’d definitely recommend Pilot Institute.

You mentioned a sectional chart, are you taking about Remote Pilot sUAS Study Guide: FAA-HG8082-22,
Part 107 Drone Certification Study Guide? Is that the booklet, paper back.?

I was referring to sectional charts in general. You can get them from the FAA via VFR Raster Charts. just find the chart name that is close to the area you're interested in.

from my experience, the key to passing the test is a solid understanding of airspace and charts. many of the questions involve both; they point you to an area on a sectional chart and ask 'can you fly here?'. the answer lies in 'what airspace are you in?'. airspace is most certainly confusing. chart reading is more straightforward but the charts are really crammed with little details and lots of information; colors, dashed vs solid lines and little symbols are very important. this isn't something you'll master after a couple of sessions. it requires a good amount of study and periodic review to stay on top of it.

a good pictorial of airspace, IMHO, can be found at The Mystery of US sUAS Airspace. i also recommend getting a real sectional chart. doesn't have to be the latest one but it should be close. spend some time studying ALL of the sections of the chart; there's a wealth of information on them. they can be confusing at first and clarity comes with time. if you're close to a regional or county airport you can possibly get one there.

my approach was to review the airspace and sectional definitions and then take as many practice exams as i could find, figure out why i missed the ones i did, review, take another practice exam... lather, rinse, repeat. like everything else available on the internet, some are better than others. one of the better ones, IMHO, can be found at Section 107.73 Initial & Recurrent Knowledge Test (with practice questions!)

i also found that the FAA exams are like other exams in that the questions include a lot of information that just isn't important. i learned to read the last sentence first since this tells you what you need to answer. then go back and read the entire question and you can easily filter out the 'noise'. it works for me.

like anything else patience and attention to detail are important. good luck with the test; i'm sure you'll do fine.
I work in IT, and I wish customers would state the problem in a quick sentence or two, then give the details so that I can filter out the noise. Otherwise if you spend 10 minutes explaining the environment before stating the problem, I might overlook necessary details as I wait for the problem.

Guilty of overstating. However as a journalist, I'm anxious to add context and always take the approach that each comment should stand on it's own legs to prevent having to go back through past comments to find the original intent. That said...judicious editing is a must!

Online sectional charts of the whole US are available and wonderful to use:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS