DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA and [You]tube

Just because someone has an "opinion" that flying out if line of site is harmless, does not make it safe or legal.
FAA is currently evaluating, and has granted some waivers of the VLOS requirement for Part 107 operations. Apparently they agree with my contention above that flying outside VLOS can be safe in some situations.

Amazon, UPS, and many other corporations (and entire industries such as agriculture) are putting significant effort and money into to drone-based commercial applications, most of which involve flying beyond VLOS.

The FAA regulations are for the safety of all; we should not create situations that are negative for the hobby, or the public.
Not all FAA regulations are "for the safety of all," but I absolutely agree that we should not create situations that are negative for the hobby or the public." And we definitely should not publicize such situations in public YouTube videos.

Last edited:
Let me ask the question of why would you not want to get your sUAS license? All political jokes aside, learning about some real life rules and furthering your knowledge on aeronautics will do nothing but help you appreciate more of the world in which you live and the hobby you are enjoying. A lot of the questions are not applicable to us but I found the entire process enlightening, nostalgic and kinda fun to nerd out on. Best part is you don't have to worry about the FAA knocking on your door and you're a better pilot for it. Good luck!

Let me ask the question of why would you not want to get your sUAS license? All political jokes aside, learning about some real life rules and furthering your knowledge on aeronautics will do nothing but help you appreciate more of the world in which you live and the hobby you are enjoying. A lot of the questions are not applicable to us but I found the entire process enlightening, nostalgic and kinda fun to nerd out on.
I did. The 107 test is not about flying a sUAV, it's about operating an aircraft within the National Airspace System, and is very similar to the Private Pilot written test.

The main benefit for me was that I can fly within 5 miles of small airports in Class G airspace without having to notify the airport. There are a lot of those small airports near my home, so the 107 certificate opens up a lot of airspace for me (including my own backyard).

Depending on location and situation, a 107 certificate may be of much less value to other pilots who have no plans to make commercial use of their drone.

To answer your question, though, I imagine the main reasons for not getting a 107 certificate are:
  • Pilot feels it's not worth the $150 price of the test
  • Pilot is not willing to learn the material required to pass the test
  • "Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Best part is you don't have to worry about the FAA knocking on your door and you're a better pilot for it. Good luck!
I'm not sure the FAA is any less likely to knock on your door; they would just be knocking for different reasons. Part 107 operations are actually more restricted than recreational operations in some ways.

You won't be any more skilled a sUAV pilot for getting a 107 certificate, but you will have a much better understanding of the National Airspace System and the requirements for commercial operation of sUASs.

The rules are the rules. Frustrating as they are yes..... but they are the rules..... Flying beyond them and posting them for all to see is more rectless than the actual flying. The reason we have ALL these rules is restlessness like this....... be responsible and legal....... if you want to fly outside those rules apply for a waiver or authorization to do so......

if not you will get caught........ sorry for all the negatives here...... its reality

Not sure I would say "a matter of minutes" and secondly the forensics behind as you put it "online traces" cost $.
No it does not. Ordinarily, It takes a few days and if we want it right away for something serious we can get it in a matter of minutes. Chances are very small that some law enforcement agency wants to expedite processes to find the guy who flew 402 feet AGL or out of line-of-sight. Fly over a stadium during a NFL game,MLB or nasccar event and post it on youtube...the response will be different.

This is an interesting topic. While the FAA may not be pursuing people based on their YouTube videos, the Rangers at some National Parks are. There is more than one video on-line of people explaining how they received fines in the $100-$500 range from the National Park system based on their on-line videos.

Which brings up an interesting point. If the person contacted states while they indeed posted the video, but were not there during the actual filming, how can they be proven to have been the pilot? Can they even even prove it was a drone, and not a full scale heli? Or that they posted it for friend who was the actual pilot.

Doesn't the park service have an obligation of proof, similar to receiving a driving citation?

anymore......the Govt agencies will do what ever they want to do....... the Gov is out of control....... but thats for another time.......

As for the FAA i think they act only when safety is compromised and people just being stupid......

Heres my 14¢ on this. I can write a book, paint a picture and sell it for 3,000,0000, trilloin
Dollars and the FAA cant do a **** thing about it. It's ART. video shoot with a drone is STILL ART.
Then there's freedom of speech. If I choose to go to the effort to fly My drone that I paid for, Not the
FAA, and I so choose to upload the flight video to YouTube, Or anyplace else for the purpose
Of PUBLIC ENJOYMENT that's my right.

Heres my 14¢ on this. I can write a book, paint a picture and sell it for 3,000,0000, trilloin
Dollars and the FAA cant do a **** thing about it. It's ART. video shoot with a drone is STILL ART.
Then there's freedom of speech. If I choose to go to the effort to fly My drone that I paid for, Not the
FAA, and I so choose to upload the flight video to YouTube, Or anyplace else for the purpose
Of PUBLIC ENJOYMENT that's my right.

These are two and completely different things. I can want to paint a picture on the side of your house. By your statement, no one can stop me as its art and is protected under freedom of speech.

The FAA is not denying you freedom of speech at all. They are _only_ governing the airspace, not your right to take a photo from within it. If TSA, the FAA or an airlines refused your right to get on a plane you can't bypass that and claim that you are going to take a photo from the plane so they have to let you on it. Again... those are two different things.

You have _every_ right to upload a video to YouTube or where ever you want. The FAA won't go after you about that. What they _CAN_ go after you for is commercial flight without a waiver or exemption. Not the video itself.

Reactions: RobertD
Wow, I thought this topic died months ago :D

You painting a picture on the side of my house would be totally illegal. Trespassing and vandalism
I'm not physically trespassing on anyone nor am I vandalizing anything.

This is an interesting topic. While the FAA may not be pursuing people based on their YouTube videos, the Rangers at some National Parks are. There is more than one video on-line of people explaining how they received fines in the $100-$500 range from the National Park system based on their on-line videos.

Which brings up an interesting point. If the person contacted states while they indeed posted the video, but were not there during the actual filming, how can they be proven to have been the pilot? Can they even even prove it was a drone, and not a full scale heli? Or that they posted it for friend who was the actual pilot.

Doesn't the park service have an obligation of proof, similar to receiving a driving citation?

I have no idea how you could get a fine because of a YouTube video. You almost have to admit that you uploaded the video and that I t was your flight... first person that gets an attorney on one of these wins. Admit nothing and get an attorney done deal.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters