Join Us Now

FAA Drone Changes

iowahill

Reactions
Just received:

faa-logo-612x250-blue-bg-ca01_crop.png
2019-avs-207-drone-external-marking-govdel_crop.jpg

FAA Makes Major Drone ID Marking Change
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) posted a rule in the Federal Register requiring small drone owners to display the FAA-issued registration number on an outside surface of the aircraft. Owners and operators may no longer place or write registration numbers in an interior compartment. The rule is effective on February 25. The markings must be in place for any flight after that date.
When the FAA first required registration of small drones in 2015, the agency mandated that the registration marking be readily accessible and maintained in readable condition. The rule granted some flexibility by permitting the marking to be placed in an enclosed compartment, such as a battery case, if it could be accessed without the use of tools.
Subsequently, law enforcement officials and the FAA’s interagency security partners have expressed concerns about the risk a concealed explosive device might pose to first responders upon opening a compartment to find a drone’s registration number. The FAA believes this action will enhance safety and security by allowing a person to view the unique identifier directly without handling the drone.
This interim final rule does not change the original acceptable methods of external marking, nor does it specify a particular external surface on which the registration number must be placed. The requirement is that it can be seen upon visual inspection of the aircraft’s exterior.
The FAA has issued this requirement as an Interim Final Rule—a rule that takes effect while also inviting public comment. The FAA issues interim final rules when delaying implementation of the rule would be impractical, unnecessary, or contrary to the public interest. In this case, the agency has determined the importance of mitigating the risk to first responders outweighs the minimal inconvenience this change may impose on small drone owners, and justifies implementation without a prior public comment period.​

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
Interim Final Rule = oxymoron

Reactions: Devlin
I just received this as well. I never had an FAA number anywhere on my drone.

I registered my Phantoms when the program first launched, taking advantage of the $5 registration fee in the first 30 days to save before the fee went up to $10. And I have always displayed the number on the outside of my birds (and my RC planes now that THEY are included) just to make life easier.

Got the email this afternoon....I have my FAA number inside Mavic battery cage, now have to attach it outside and make the drone look ugly!

Just received:

faa-logo-612x250-blue-bg-ca01_crop.png
2019-avs-207-drone-external-marking-govdel_crop.jpg

FAA Makes Major Drone ID Marking Change
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) posted a rule in the Federal Register requiring small drone owners to display the FAA-issued registration number on an outside surface of the aircraft. Owners and operators may no longer place or write registration numbers in an interior compartment. The rule is effective on February 25. The markings must be in place for any flight after that date.
When the FAA first required registration of small drones in 2015, the agency mandated that the registration marking be readily accessible and maintained in readable condition. The rule granted some flexibility by permitting the marking to be placed in an enclosed compartment, such as a battery case, if it could be accessed without the use of tools.
Subsequently, law enforcement officials and the FAA’s interagency security partners have expressed concerns about the risk a concealed explosive device might pose to first responders upon opening a compartment to find a drone’s registration number. The FAA believes this action will enhance safety and security by allowing a person to view the unique identifier directly without handling the drone.
This interim final rule does not change the original acceptable methods of external marking, nor does it specify a particular external surface on which the registration number must be placed. The requirement is that it can be seen upon visual inspection of the aircraft’s exterior.
The FAA has issued this requirement as an Interim Final Rule—a rule that takes effect while also inviting public comment. The FAA issues interim final rules when delaying implementation of the rule would be impractical, unnecessary, or contrary to the public interest. In this case, the agency has determined the importance of mitigating the risk to first responders outweighs the minimal inconvenience this change may impose on small drone owners, and justifies implementation without a prior public comment period.​

I got this same email.

Got the email this afternoon....I have my FAA number inside Mavic battery cage, now have to attach it outside and make the drone look ugly!

yep. looking for a transfer sticker like the brother p-touch label printer

Did you read at the bottom of the notice they are changing rules about flying at night and over people

Could someone please shed light on what exactly is the current U.S. law in regard to the maximum altitude of 400' for recreational drone operators? The FAA site clearly states this limitation but I have read posts indicating that the FAA does not currently have the right to enforce its current set of recreational drone-related regulations - something to do with the repeal of section 336?

Last edited:
Could someone please shed light on what exactly is the current U.S. law in regard to the maximum altitude of 400' for recreational drone operators? The FAA site clearly states this limitation but I have read posts indicating that the FAA does not currently have the right to enforce its current set of recreational drone-related regulations - something to do with the repeal of section 336?
FFA.gov is the best source for answers to any and all rules & regulations.

Can anyone comment on the repeal of section 336 and its ramifications in regard to the 400' altitude limit for recreational drones?
Comment? You can search the forum as there are many threads on this.

Currently Section 336 applies to hobby flight. That will change soon.

Comment? You can search the forum as there are many threads on this.

Currently Section 336 applies to hobby flight. That will change soon.

OK, I'll rephrase it. Can anyone specifically confirm that the repeal of section 336 means that there is currently no altitude limit for hobby (recreational) drone flight? Some people on this forum have stated that this is indeed the case and I would like to know for sure if they are correct.

Last edited:
OK, I'll rephrase it. Can anyone specifically confirm that the repeal of section 336 means that there is currently no altitude limit for hobby (recreational) drone flight? Some people on this forum have stated that this is indeed the case and I would like to know for sure if they are correct.

No no REPEAL of the rule COULD (almost certainly) mean there will be some kind of altitude limit for recreational flyers WHEN the FAA releases the NEW rules which hasn’t happened yet. Since 2012 the law has been that the FAA doesn’t have jurisdiction over recreational pilots to make rules for them.

That’s why when they were sued for collecting drone registration fees and lost the FAA was found by the courts to be fraudulently extorting drone pilots for money because the courts found that the FAA lacked authority or mandate to regulate recreational pilots. Subsequently there was a time where you DIDNT have to register your drone.

This got governments attention and what do you know new law now says the FAA must come up with a plan on how to regulate both commercial and recreational drones so there isn’t so much **** confusion.

Like I said there is no plan yet and therefore the FAA has said everybody should follow the previous laws until they finalize their plan.

So we are in a legal limbo. Old laws are gone but we are still following them. No new rules yet. Stay tuned.

Bottom line if you are a commercial pilot laws are probably gonna be loosened for you soon. If you are a recreational pilot they are probably gonna get stricter. However from your post it sounds like you were already voluntarily following stricter rules than you had to

Reactions: deleted member 877
lly
This got governments attention and what do you know new law now says the FAA must come up with a plan on how to regulate both commercial and recreational drones so there isn’t so much **** confusion.

Like I said there is no plan yet and therefore the FAA has said everybody should follow the previous laws until they finalize their plan.

So we are in a legal limbo. Old laws are gone but we are still following them. No new rules yet. Stay tuned.

Bottom line if you are a commercial pilot laws are probably gonna be loosened for you soon. If you are a recreational pilot they are probably gonna get stricter. However from your post it sounds like you were already voluntarily following stricter rules than you had to

Many thanks for helping me to understand what is going on with drone regulations in the U.S. I live in Australia where there is no ambiguity whatsoever - the 400' altitude limit is crystal clear.

Reading these forums I am often disappointed when recreational pilots discuss their experiences when flying their drones well above 400' and as far away as 2/3/4 kilometers, well beyond VLOS. Regardless of the precise legalities currently in place or otherwise, I have to say that it's simply not a good look and will most probably have a negative impact on recreational drone flyers when the FAA eventually publishes its new regulations.

The Australian airspace regulator CASA actively looks overseas as part of the process of formulating its own policies and regulations. A quote from the CASA website under the heading "External engagement" follows:-

"Effectively consulting and communicating with the aviation industry and the wider aviation community, in Australia and overseas, is a key element of CASA's core goals and an obligation under the Civil Aviation Act."

lly

Many thanks for helping me to understand what is going on with drone regulations in the U.S. I live in Australia where there is no ambiguity whatsoever - the 400' altitude limit is crystal clear.

Reading these forums I am often disappointed when recreational pilots discuss their experiences when flying their drones well above 400' and as far away as 2/3/4 kilometers, well beyond VLOS. Regardless of the precise legalities currently in place or otherwise, I have to say that it's simply not a good look and will most probably have a negative impact on recreational drone flyers when the FAA eventually publishes its new regulations.

The Australian airspace regulator CASA actively looks overseas as part of the process of formulating its own policies and regulations. A quote from the CASA website under the heading "External engagement" follows:-

"Effectively consulting and communicating with the aviation industry and the wider aviation community, in Australia and overseas, is a key element of CASA's core goals and an obligation under the Civil Aviation Act."

I think that reasonable people can disagree and also can have a different perspectives that the the other might not have considered. I thank you for sharing your view and I do very much see where you are coming from and respect it.

I think this is a wonderful place to discuss our different views and I don’t want you to feel like when I share my view that I am in anyway putting you down because that is not at all my intent. My intent is to spark a larger conversation about the risks and also the benefits.

My feeling is when you look up in the sky 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of it is totally wide open space. Even when there is an aircraft in the sky it’s usually 10s of thousands feet up in the sky way out of range of a drone. If you think about it having a radio controlled boat in the ocean has a much much higher chance of running into another boat than a drone has of hitting a plane. In fact I was talking to someone the other day that said “I bet you couldn’t hit a plane with a drone if you wanted to.” Now I agree that drones need to stay out of airport airspace. I don’t think anyone thinks otherwise.

I do however find the mass hysteria regarding drones to be absolutely perplexing. The benefit drones will eventually bring to everyone and the astronomically low risk to safety, in fact I think they make many professions much safer, is enough to allow us to experiment to develop these things and accept any adherent risk and deal with incidents as they come up.

I don’t know if you follow US news much but there is a feeling in this county that China is on the verge of becoming a new superpower not just military but also economically and people are worried this will be at the expense of some of America’s economic and military power. What I notice with China is they have guidelines for safe drone flight but they aren’t mandatory because they want their young people to learn and be inspired to develop drones because they understand the revolution that is happening and they want China to be become the leader. This is working. DJI was started by a college kid in his dorm room. I feel if we continue to surpress this technology America is going to find itself as in an uncomfortable position when the worlds best and brightest in tech no longer want to come to Silicone Valley but instead want to go to Beijing. I sure wouldn’t start a drone start up here in the US with all these crazy regulations, I’d go to a different county that allowed me some breathing room.

I just think we are shoot ourselves in the foot here

Reactions: deleted member 877
I think that reasonable people can disagree and also can have a different perspectives that the the other might not have considered. I thank you for sharing your view and I do very much see where you are coming from and respect it.

I think this is a wonderful place to discuss our different views and I don’t want you to feel like when I share my view that I am in anyway putting you down because that is not at all my intent. My intent is to spark a larger conversation about the risks and also the benefits.

My feeling is when you look up in the sky 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of it is totally wide open space. Even when there is an aircraft in the sky it’s usually 10s of thousands feet up in the sky way out of range of a drone. If you think about it having a radio controlled boat in the ocean has a much much higher chance of running into another boat than a drone has of hitting a plane. In fact I was talking to someone the other day that said “I bet you couldn’t hit a plane with a drone if you wanted to.” Now I agree that drones need to stay out of airport airspace. I don’t think anyone thinks otherwise.

I do however find the mass hysteria regarding drones to be absolutely perplexing. The benefit drones will eventually bring to everyone and the astronomically low risk to safety, in fact I think they make many professions much safer, is enough to allow us to experiment to develop these things and accept any adherent risk and deal with incidents as they come up.

I don’t know if you follow US news much but there is a feeling in this county that China is on the verge of becoming a new superpower not just military but also economically and people are worried this will be at the expense of some of America’s economic and military power. What I notice with China is they have guidelines for safe drone flight but they aren’t mandatory because they want their young people to learn and be inspired to develop drones because they understand the revolution that is happening and they want China to be become the leader. This is working. DJI was started by a college kid in his dorm room. I feel if we continue to surpress this technology America is going to find itself as in an uncomfortable position when the worlds best and brightest in tech no longer want to come to Silicone Valley but instead want to go to Beijing. I sure wouldn’t start a drone start up here in the US with all these crazy regulations, I’d go to a different county that allowed me some breathing room.

I just think we are shoot ourselves in the foot here

Thanks again for such a polite and respectful reply to my post. Whenever I broach this topic most of the time I get what could best be described as veiled hostility. It's almost like if we all simply bury our heads in the sand the nasty FAA won't notice that we (not me specifically because I live in Australia) are there and will relax restrictions instead of tightening them. I'm calling this now - that ain't gonna happen for the recreational drone flying community in the U.S.A.

You said yourself, "Bottom line if you are a commercial pilot laws are probably gonna be loosened for you soon. If you are a recreational pilot they are probably gonna get stricter.

The reality is that this outcome (for recreational drone pilots) could well be avoided and I have previously suggested on this forum what needs to change in an effort to influence the outcomes we would all like to see. I totally agree that there is plenty of room in the sky for all aircraft, manned and unmanned, commercial and recreational, to happily and safely share.

Unfortunately, the FAA and most other airspace regulators don't really see it that way. To suggest that they are paranoid would be an understatement but in their defense, the buck stops with them so why would they do anything that could even remotely expose them to criticism from the wider community or more importantly, litigation.

These guys really don't care if recreational drone flyers end up being squashed especially given the fact that they are constantly being hounded by the professional aviation lobby groups who are only interested in furthering their own agendas. Compared to that unyielding barrage the recreational drone pilots are invisible.

Reactions: brett8883
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne