DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA Drone ID Proposal:

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have a mavic air that I bought this year and it probably would not have the ID tech in it. If they are saying that I would be restricted to AMA fields can they shut my bird down let's say if I wanted to go up by my house? Or do you think they know that if you have a older drone you are gonna fly illegally? Another question can you do any mods on the air like you can on the mavic pro's etc. Like taking out the NFZ. Bottom line can they keep you from taking off if you are not at a AMA FIELD thanx.

That's rather ironic, given the level of misinformation that you have spread on this thread. Full marks for perseverance though.
His statements are reasonable and seem well thought out. You and the couple of other regulars on this forum have torn into him like you do every other poster that doesn't bow and scrap before the FAA's ideas. Your attitude stinks and you're rude to boot.

Reactions: badaxed
His statements are reasonable and seem well thought out. You and the couple of other regulars on this forum have torn into him like you do every other poster that doesn't bow and scrap before the FAA's ideas. Your attitude stinks and you're rude to boot.

We'll have to disagree on that. I've spent considerable time on this thread combating incorrect assertions with detailed explanations and references. That poster responded by simply repeating his assertions. They were neither well thought out nor supported. Most of them were obviously incorrect. I don't expect anyone to agree blindly with anything, and I have my own reservations about a couple of parts of the proposal, but I really dislike willful misrepresentation as a method of argument.

I might be wrong, but I believe my Mavic Air, with up-to-date firmware, is already capable of this. If I go into MC Settings. the very first item says "Remote Identification". I tapped on that and enabled the stuff months ago. I enabled UUID and Identification & Flight Information. I entered my FAA number under Identification, and set Flight Information to "Hobby flying, will not exceed 400AGL", and then there's an "Apply" button below that.

I did this stuff months ago, and as such, I have not really cared about the notice that came out the other day.

Is this notice referring to something different?
I have a air also where is the MC you are talking about I would like to check that out I bought mine this year wanted to see if it has the ID stuff in it already

My "Lincoln" analogy of this new "id" rule is this.
We "drone pilots" have been riding a horse bareback for quite a while now and the government decides for safety reasons we can no longer do this. In fact riding on the back of a horse is dangerous so a new rule is proposed: we all must ride in a buggy. Further the buggy must meet the govt standards and have a serial # that everyone can look up and find out who is driving that buggy. If you cannot afford a buggy you may ride the horse as long as it has a saddle. However you will be limited in how far you can ride this horse ( a few blocks). If you do not have a buggy or a saddle you can ride your horse bareback but only in a circle at a govt approved horse track. Or you can give up riding horses and go back to walking.

Last edited:
Long-time reader and first-time poster here.

I'm surprised no one seems to be mentioning the national security ramifications and threats posed by the FAA's proposed regs on drones. As a poster on DJI's official facebook page writes, 'Chinese made drones collecting, storing and transmitting all, what could possibly go wrong? This is a dream come true for Communist China, and Chinese law requires all people cooperate fully with Chinese intelligence gathering agencies.'

Interesting thing is, China by law forbids all mapping and surveying activities over its own territory. "Private surveying and mapping activities are illegal in mainland China. "Since at least 2007, it has been effectively illegal for foreigners to operate a GPS device in China."

Tariffs by Trump against China? Not with this proposal allowing Chinese companies free, one-sided access to American skies and geographic mapping.

Who by the way will own all this data? As a working professional photographer, I should hold the copyright on all data produced by my quad.

WikiProject China - OpenStreetMap Wiki

GOOGLE

My "Lincoln" analogy of this new "id" rule is this.
We "drone pilots" have been riding a horse bareback for quite a while now and the government decides for safety reasons we can no longer do this. In fact, riding on the back of a horse is dangerous so a new rule is proposed: we all must ride in a buggy. Further, the buggy must meet the govt standards and have a serial # that everyone can look up and find out who is driving that buggy. If you cannot afford a buggy you may ride the horse as long as it has a saddle. However, you will be limited in how far you can ride this horse ( a few blocks). If you do not have a buggy or a saddle you can ride your horse bareback but only in a circle at a govt approved horse track. Or you can give up riding horses and go back to walking.
I forgot to mention there are no government sanctioned wheels for the buggy yet, but the government will be contracting for these to become available in the near future and you will be able purchase these govt sanctioned wheels along with an annual fee.

Last edited:
My take is this: flying a Mavic or a Phantom, or any GPS-enabled, stablized drone with collision sensors is not exactly exactly exciting flying. Those drones, IMHO, are about photography.

Today, for less that $1000, I can buy or build an FPV CineWhoop, for example, weighing less than 250 grams, and have beautiful and exciting 4K video without even having to FAA -register, let alone be tracked. Cinematic mini and micro-drones are going to be hitting their 4K stride soon. I predict a shift away from our current behemoth Mavic and Phantom 747 and news-helicopter killers. And DJI, with its new FPV system, looks like it's kind of moving in that direction too.

I'm not particularly worried about remote ID, or registration affecting my flying (other than my disgust with governmental intrusion). If and when it happens,
I'll just change what I fly.

I think the under 250g exception is not going last. Those drones are just as capable of flying into controlled airspace and disrupting air traffic as their bigger brothers. The would still be seen as an unidentified object in flight over a group of people at a sporting event. They may not cause as much damage should their be a collision but they would cause some damage. And based on what I've their are those in the FAA that are not in agreement with this exception.

Reactions: BigAl07
And to the privacy issues.
A temporary, private key with no public ID info can be issued for each flight.

Basically, this rule is a step forward for everyone.
The increasing air traffic must be monitored to insure safety and feasibility.

The bonus should be eventual BVLOS for Standard Remote identification.
And then traffic lanes established for flying cars!

And to the privacy issues.
A temporary, private key with no public ID info can be issued for each flight.

Basically, this rule is a step forward for everyone.
The increasing air traffic must be monitored to insure safety and feasibility.

The bonus should be eventual BVLOS for Standard Remote identification.
And then traffic lanes established for flying cars!

How many accidents, injuries and deaths have been caused by drones colliding with aircraft in the last 20 years? Multiply that number by 10 and that is the safety issue we are going to spend $500 million plus to implement.

This is about dollars and control. The hundreds of millions of dollars spend are some how, some way going to be lining some politician's and corporate executive's pockets. This legislation is about paving the way for corporate interest and They don't give a hoot about the hobbiest or small guy commercial drone user who thought he was covered by getting his 107.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: BigAl07 and AMann
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member