DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA DroneZone Airspace Authorization

53-63-6f-74-74

Reactions
We have a job that will require a short, 12-15 minute flight (a Pix4d grid) at 180 ft. AGL and is within Class E Surface of a non-towered town airport. This flight will occur on a weekly basis, one day per week, for a few weeks or more. The administrator of the town airport encompassed by the Class E said that he can give clearance for this as needed (without FAA involvement).

However, upon looking at the DroneZone, it has two choices to start this process, "airspace waiver" and "airspace authorization" (we are not seeking an operational waiver). The DroneZone seems to want to direct us to the LAANC system which is active for the airport we will be near, but the quad for our proposed flight area lists a zero elevation, so I don't think we can do that. Has anyone here gone through this process, and if so, is an "authorization" through the DronzeZone going to be enough for us, or do we need to go through the more lengthy process of obtaining the "waiver"? Do we even need to use the DroneZone application process in this case when we already have airport administration approval? What is the difference in wait time on a waiver vs. an authorization?

Capture.PNG

A airspace waiver means you never have to get permission anywhere. That, I hear, is hard to get. An airspace use authorization is specific in terms of time and location. I have filed a few airspace use authorizations.

I am not sure what happens if your flight violates the parameters for an automated approval in LAANC. I would imagine that it goes to the tower for manual approval.

Whichever approach you take, please let us know what happens!

I think cyeung is correct. You can still use LAANC but it won't be automatic for the 0 grid. I could take some time.

I recently applied for an airspace waver via the portal because laanc isn't available in the airspace I wanted to fly in. The area I want to fly is in a 200' grid but I put in a radius of 1/2 mile which put me into a 0' grid. A rep from the FAA emailed me almost immediately to get clarification. He stated that getting permission for the 0' grid would take some time and might or might not be granted. I replied that I didn't really need to be in that grid (I didn't notice that it was next to the area I want to fly). He came back and said the easiest thing to do is to grant a waiver to the entire airspace, except the 0' grids, and I just have to agree to fly below the grid number. So in less than 24 hours I have a waiver good for 1 year to fly any time I want in this class B airspace as long as I fly below the grid limit. I really thought this would take longer but I think because the airport is supposed to be laanc controlled it was a little easier.

Reactions: lawmann
I filed for flight authorization a few days ago through DroneZone because according to LAANC the airport wasn't on their list. LAANC did show 100' clearance and said Automated authorization coming soon at or below 100 ft. I figured since the airport wasn't on their list they meant coming soon would be when the airport was included in their data base

For that reason I applied for flight authorization to DroneZone and noted that flight would be below 100 ft. Haven't heard any response from DroneZone. I know waivers should be submitted at least 90 days prior to date needed. From reading various posts I thought authorizations would be responded to quicker. Does anyone know the "average" response time from DroneZone for authorization ?

Thanks in advance for replies.

Reactions: TampaTC
When (or if) DroneZone responds do they do it via email or text ?

I filed for flight authorization a few days ago through DroneZone because according to LAANC the airport wasn't on their list. LAANC did show 100' clearance and said Automated authorization coming soon at or below 100 ft. I figured since the airport wasn't on their list they meant coming soon would be when the airport was included in their data base

For that reason I applied for flight authorization to DroneZone and noted that flight would be below 100 ft. Haven't heard any response from DroneZone. I know waivers should be submitted at least 90 days prior to date needed. From reading various posts I thought authorizations would be responded to quicker. Does anyone know the "average" response time from DroneZone for authorization ?

Thanks in advance for replies.
We are now receiving authorizations in 48 hours. However, they can be for one day at a time only. These are for 180' flights in a zero foot LAANC cell.

I applied on 9/2 for authorization in Class D airspace with flights under 100' AGL, with 1/10 mile range and VLOS recreational flights. LAANC showed 100' AGL for the area I requested but the airport is not on their list. The application was for dates of 9/2 - 9/17 with weekly flights. My application status is still in the submitted stage on DoneZone.
Since I am new to this whole procedure would it be best to cancel my original application and submit daily applications for flight authorization ?

As always thanks in advance for any and all assistance

As stated previously I applied for flight authorization via DroneZone on 9/2 and still have not received any type of response from FAA.
On the DroneZone page they have this
How to Apply for an Airspace Authorization

When I click on that link I get this
The page or file you requested cannot be found.
ID: 207152149.

I had filled out the application form and completed all of the required info.

Is there an alternative method of requesting authorization besides DroneZone or LAANC (airport in question is not on LAANC list) ?

Airspace authorizations take up to 90 days. That is something I have to plan for even as a Part 107 operator.

Airspace authorizations take up to 90 days. That is something I have to plan for even as a Part 107 operator.
I know waiver requests are supposed to be requested 90 days prior - I thought authorization were almost immediate

@Mavic Mac: Unfortunately not ... Last year, I got my Part 107 certificate late August and had an event to shoot around Halloween. I got the authorization, but there was some nail biting going on. I know it stinks, but hang in there!

@Mavic Mac: Unfortunately not ... Last year, I got my Part 107 certificate late August and had an event to shoot around Halloween. I got the authorization, but there was some nail biting going on. I know it stinks, but hang in there!
Ok

Use Dronezone, took 20 days from when I ask for Authorization. Approved 10 days before I needed it. This was a zero height zone butting up to an airport. I put my 107 info in and gave the exact GPS points and height requirements for me to fly and fly safe. I did put I was using a VO with a unicorn radio, I used a strobe light for additional visibility. Gave a time frame of the aircraft being up and maximum time to be in the area. I also gave my phone number and of course email. I received an email authorization for my flight on one given day, it stated if I was going to fly the same grid at another time in the future refer to a given authorization number. The day came and I was airborne right on time, I finished my work an half hour before my allotted time and was packing up. I received a call from the control tower saying they had not seen me up for about 10min and wondered if I was done or needed more time. I said I was done and thanked them for reaching out. They thanked me for filing my flight and being responsible.

I know waiver requests are supposed to be requested 90 days prior - I thought authorization were almost immediate

Only LAANC authorizations are almost immediate and that's because they are somewhat automated (I'm way over simplifying the process). Everything else has to go to a human being and get reviewed and passed around to different entities.

Sometimes in under a month and sometime closer to 3 months. It all depends on how "safe" your request is in the eyes of each reviewer.

Keep in mind that a submission is NOT an automatic approval.... it could get denied after 3 months of waiting but hopefully not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mavic Mac
Only LAANC authorizations are almost immediate and that's because they are somewhat automated (I'm over simplifying the process). Everything else has to go to a human being and get reviewed and passed around to different entities.

Sometimes in under a month and sometime closer to 3 months. It all depends on how "safe" your request is in the eyes of each reviewer.

Keep in mind that a submission is NOT an automatic approval.... it could get denied after 3 months of waiting but hopefully not.
Thanks. In another two weeks it won't matter because I won't be near that airport and my requested dates will have passed. But now I know for future requests.

Reactions: BigAl07
I applied on 9/2 for authorization in Class D airspace with flights under 100' AGL, with 1/10 mile range and VLOS recreational flights. LAANC showed 100' AGL for the area I requested but the airport is not on their list. The application was for dates of 9/2 - 9/17 with weekly flights. My application status is still in the submitted stage on DoneZone.
Since I am new to this whole procedure would it be best to cancel my original application and submit daily applications for flight authorization ?

As always thanks in advance for any and all assistance
As of a couple weeks ago, the email I received from the FAA indicated that authorizations for recreational flights at non-LAANC airports can not be done through DroneZone. This is the reply I received:

I emailed UAShelp with this question:

Can you point me to where I, as a recreational pilot, can complete a
manual request for authorization to fly at an airport not served by LAANC?
Thank you

This is the reply I received:

Thank you for contacting the FAA's Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Support Center.

At present, you do not have that option. Manual (non-LAANC) authorization requests through DroneZone should be available for recreational flyers later this year. Please monitor Recreational Flyers & Modeler Community-Based Organizations

As of a couple weeks ago, the email I received from the FAA indicated that authorizations for recreational flights at non-LAANC airports can not be done through DroneZone. This is the reply I received:

I emailed UAShelp with this question:

Can you point me to where I, as a recreational pilot, can complete a
manual request for authorization to fly at an airport not served by LAANC?
Thank you

This is the reply I received:

Thank you for contacting the FAA's Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Support Center.

At present, you do not have that option. Manual (non-LAANC) authorization requests through DroneZone should be available for recreational flyers later this year. Please monitor Recreational Flyers & Modeler Community-Based Organizations
Thank you for providing that info. Guess next option is try and call the control tower and explain the FAA response to them and see if they will give authorization

Thank you for providing that info. Guess next option is try and call the control tower and explain the FAA response to them and see if they will give authorization

We've been explicitly told "Do not call the tower" many times over. If you do call or not that's your option but I wouldn't suggest it.

Last edited:
Reactions: dawgpilot
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidt2