DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA FINES PHILADELPHIA DRONE PILOT

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, so, my OPINION is: I can barely watch 10 minutes of this guy.
I think he is a poppas, arrogant, lame, not smart at all, liar, who contradicts himself in the same sentence on a regular basis. Let's take the first minute or so. "I'm just a hobbyist" (repeated over and over) "I never wanted to be a 107".....then he says "I never even knew what that was" until yesterday....yet he has been getting letters all along about his infractions...AND how could he never want to be...yet not know what 107 was???? He is full of ( Mod Removed Language) !! I think the fines are excessive, however, I don't like AHs bringing bad press to an often mis-understood hobby...much the way I don't like little pukes flying around on krotch-rockets giving motorcycles a bad name or criminals giving law-abiding pro-2A citizens a bad name. I support the rules and laws (for the most part). It is people like this that cause all of the over-bearing laws and restrictions that we must all adhere to. How about being responsible and paying for your mistakes???? That's something he should have learned as a (recovering???) addict.

Last edited by a moderator:
If nothing else maybe it will serve as a warning to others who broadcast 'unwise' flights and maybe those who do not broadcast such flights.
I can but wonder if that is a fair proportion of the intended message that the FAA is sending.

I have seen one video by another youtuber (can't remember who) who got a letter from the FAA, from memory that youtuber responded and all was sorted though that youtuber's flight/s where kosher.

One question, if he makes/made money from these videos, irrespective of the amount, does youtube?

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
Oh wow, a lot of Black and White opinions here, but it's not that black and white to me. Maybe I need to have a little more human compassion burned out of me before my opinions are fit for the mainstream.
First of all, I commend you for looking at both sides and being as objective as possible about someone you know fairly well. You laid out valid points without making it all about emotion or sympathy for someone you know.

Life is not always black and white, and certainly this case is not either. However, this is about as close to one side (guilty as charged) as one could probably ever ask for. If this were a legal criminal case, the prosecuting attorney would be in heaven with all of the self-incriminating evidence that is out there on public display. There are videos with telemetry, him narrating, and views of him on the control sticks. It is the proverbial slam-dunk.

His attitude and contempt towards the FAA certainly does not help either. Yes contempt, as I saw in one interview with three other YouTube drone flyers. The number of times he told the FAA to go blank themselves was appalling. Admittedly I have not watched much of his videos because I am not a fan of the non-funny curse-laden commentary, and contradictory statements regarding all of this. However I have seen enough to note that he has indeed broken almost every possible FAA regulation imaginable, disregarded repeated warnings from the FAA, disregarded valid advice from others who know him, and still claims he did no wrong or that he didn't know.

Full disclosure, I know Mikey fairly well. He's a loveable idiot to many and an annoyance to others. I'm in the former category. I wouldn't call him unintelligent by any means.
Fair enough. I don't know the man so I can not comment on his level of intelligence. In one of his videos he claims that he personally feels he is not dumb and that he considers himself rather intelligent. He also talks about the hundreds (maybe thousands?) of hours he spent tearing apart his MM and getting to know everything about it. If that is all true then how can he come out and say that the FAA regulations are too complex, and that they change too often to keep up? Neither of those two statements are true in my opinion. Sure the actual laws were written by attorneys and bureaucrats which makes for very tough reading; however the regulations are very well summarized on the FAA site and constantly covered in forums like these. If he is so intelligent then there is no reasons to claim ignorance of the regulations. In fact in some videos he intentionally switches characters over to his "imaginary Part 107 pilot friend" when in a situation that would require such certification (like flying over buildings at altitude over 400 feet). If he had no knowledge of such regulations, then how does that commentary arise?

I'm pretty certain that he is totally clean and has been for many years but his life experiences have obviously left him with some emotional scars that I am sure have some bearing on how this has all played out.
I totally agree with you. Don't question his sobriety and other aspects of his life unless you have direct knowledge. I give him great credit for losing the weight and kicking the drug habit, as those are both incredibly difficult things to do. However those things lend nothing to this situation in either direction. The public should not doubt his sobriety because it has nothing to do with this. Likewise he should personally stop comingling the two as if getting past those hurdles gives him a free pass to do whatever he likes with a drone...yes he constantly mentions his past in connection with this situation. They are totally separate things...keep them separate.

We all like to point out and down cry others who don't abide by the restrictions that we abide by willingly and cheer from the side lines when they inevitably fall but is this penalty in this equitable? I'd argue not.
Of course the penalty here is very very very harsh. You must remember a few things though. He disregarded repeated warnings over the course of an entire year from the FAA. Had he looked into this after the very first letter, he wouldn't be where he is today. What "intelligent person" disregards over 100 letters/warnings from the FAA over the course of a year?
Also these are the proposed fines, and await his response as well as negotiation. In most cases the FAA will negotiate a more equitable settlement amount and educate the RPIC as to proper operation of a UAS. However he needs to own up to the fact that he was WRONG and stop putting the blame on others.
If he starts to take it seriously and shows that he is willing to learn and change, the FAA will most likely work out a reduced fine that will still hurt but be more in line with what he can actually manage to pay off over time.

We only know what we have been told, Mike says and probably quite rightly that as this is still active he is limited to what he can say wisely. As far as anyone knows at this point he was not breached for flying over population, airspace violations etc. The only confirmed breaches we know about are "flying in the rain", "flying in fog" and the like and everything else he has done the FAA seems have covered with the blanket charge of "Reckless flying". More charges may, probably will, come out in time but that's what we know now.
Sorry but this is ridiculous. He has been spouting off about this situation and the fined amount all over the place. Yet he has yet to say anything about what the actual content of the letters. Even in an ongoing legal case, the actual content of the letters would not hurt neither party, nor prevent the case from being settled equitably. It is his commentary and attitude that hurt his case, and yet that continues. Any competent attorney would just tell him to shut up!
Flying in the rain is not against regulations, as long as it does not impeded VLOS. I think there needs to be other content in those letters that we just don't know about.
Reckless flying may indeed be a blanket charge, but in these flights it fits very well. As stated previously, I know this area very well and fly here all the time. His flights were definitely reckless. It is abundantly clear that he flies BVLOS, he flies over people, he flies over moving vehicles, he flies well over 400 feet, and he has zero regard for flying in controlled airspace.
Many RPIC constantly complain about the DJI warnings and Geo Zone restrictions, including dozens on this very forum. Yet Mikey repeatedly gets those warnings and simply skips over them. This is problematic in a few ways. First, would not an "intelligent man" wonder about why those warnings are coming up and actually research what they refer to? Second it points out why the warnings are necessary for DJI. Sure they say it is to promote safe flying, but it's more of a legal issue so that a wayward RPIC does not attempt to sue the deep pockets of DJI. Third, it shows those that complain, why the warnings and restrictions will only get worse, not better. It is people like Mikey that make things worse for those of us who try our best to follow the regulations while flying legally and safely.

If this was an issue of public safety how does the FAA justify allowing it to knowingly continue daily for over a year while taking no affirmative action to stop it? Here in Australia my door would have been kicked in about the time I ignored the first letter, in fact there would have been no letter in a case of genuine safety concerns. I would have been collared personally. Rightly so.
The authorities in the USA and in Australia obviously work very differently. The FAA is actually short staffed and underfunded. Enforcement actions do take time and they really do try to work out an equitable solution before using a heavy handed approach. Mikey kept ignoring the warnings and this is why it has come to this.
As to the FAA FSDO here in Philadelphia, I will say that they have not been at all friendly or particularly knowledgeable when I have reached out to them. That is indeed a problem, since they have neither the man-power nor the will to actually talk to and help pilots seeking guidance or assistance. You still CAN NOT ignore them though!

Remember, no one was actually harmed, frightened or offended during the course of his infractions.
This is conjecture about no one being frightened or offended. Either way, frightening or offending someone is not against the FAA regulations, unless you are actually flying in a manner that breaks personal privacy laws.
No one being harmed is rather besides the point. Do we need to wait until someone is harmed in order to take action? Isn't the point of these regulations to prevent people from being harmed? In fact the mission of the FAA is to promote safety in all aspects of aviation. Just because no one was hurt, does not make Mikey's actions any less serious.

Let's put aside the "lynch mob mentality" for a minute. I don't expect my regulatory bodies to sit by for a year and allow something to go on and then when it has reached some arbitrary point to all of a sudden jump in and punish an individual by literally destroying his life
No lynch mob here. Just the culmination of repeated offenses by a person who ignored all rules and regulations and now the chickens have come home to roost. The regulatory body did NOT sit idly by for a year. They sent over ONE HUNDRED letters and warnings. The only one who sat idly by was Mikey. He needed to address the issue after the very first letter from the FAA.

What should of happened is that as soon as it became apparent what Mike was doing he should have been pinged then and there, breached for his actions and faced a just $4 - $5k fine which I am pretty sure would have been quite a speed bump in his life while still allowing him a life to go on with.
If he had addressed the issue immediately after the first letter, the fine was likely only $1,500 and may have even been reduced or waived altogether if he agreed to educate himself on the regulations and flown in accordance with them from then on. He chose not to do so.
So at this point the FAA will most likely still negotiate the total fine and it may become much more "reasonable". Not sure if it will get down to $5K but I would certainly hope that it can be negotiated to well under $20K.

Also, fair go chaps. You might not agree with me and that's fine but let's play the ball and not the man. I'm not calling anyone out here personally because I have a different opinion. I'd appreciate the same.
Very fair and even handed posting by you sir. I don't agree with everything you said, but I don't disagree with all of it either. The point is that we can have a fair, open, and honest discussion without personal attacks.

Looks like a lot of operators saw this reaction to not only infractions,but the posting of such.At test case...perhaps. A warning...for sure. Wonder how many more posts on social media we will see showing disregard for laws/rules placed upon our hobby...and the reaction from the public on their perceptions of us as responsible drone /RPAS pilots.We may be doomed.
I am not so sure about that. Governments and their associates need money, and regulating/taxing Drone production and licensing/penalising their flyers produce a lot of money which ultimately offsets the cost of aforesaid associates. (A bit like the police/wardens having to issue tickets to produce enough revenue to fulfil undisclosed targets from their superiors or lose their jobs)
It would be the easiest thing in the world for the FAA/CAA to ban the use of recreational drones but it is an invaluable source of income. They would much rather think of new regulations to squeeze as much out of you as they can.
I wouldn't worry, I think your hobby will be here for a long long time to come. Just make sure you keep a regular income... or alternatively move to the Sahara. You can get some wonderful shots especially at sunset, and it is unlikely you will get a uniformed something or other ride up on a camel and nick you. (But don't quote me on that, and keep a sturdy eye open for blokes riding Dronedaries)

Phew and i thought i was wrong.

If someone violates the traffic rules on the days of quarantine i will betray him to the authorities. Rules are rules for everything.

What he did was deliberately stupid, potentially dangerous, and reckless to be sure. Should he have known the rules? Yes. Is his screen persona grating? Yes. Should he get away with this? No.

Here’s the core of the issue. Mercy and justice are often thought to be opposite, but for the most part they’re complementary. Should he be punished? Yes. So what is the fitting punishment? Taking his drones, $5K, $10K or some other figure? Or financially crushing him all together. I have a little more latitude for someone like this,( Political comment removed)

Oh wow, a lot of Black and White opinions here, but it's not that black and white to me. Maybe I need to have a little more human compassion burned out of me before my opinions are fit for the mainstream.

Full disclosure, I know Mikey fairly well. He's a loveable idiot to many and an annoyance to others. I'm in the former category. I wouldn't call him unintelligent by any means. Uneducated, probably. He certainly graduated from the school of hard knocks. To answer one rather unkind question here, I'm pretty certain that he is totally clean and has been for many years but his life experiences have obviously left him with some emotional scars that I am sure have some bearing on how this has all played out.

I can't watch his videos personally, too much yelling and screaming and theatre for me. I still have a touch of PTSD and it sets me off so I don't watch.

I told him along time ago it wasn't going to end well in my eyes, I wasn't the only one by any means but he thought differently and now we're here.

I would never EVER do what he did. I'm a commercial operator, I have thousands invested in training, equipment and business related expenses and that sort of "act now care later" attitude is not in my make up. I don't defend him in any way and we all know and agree that he certainly had something coming.

So, let's look at the other side of this. We all as individuals have an obligation to conduct ourselves in an equitable manner that does not affect the life style and safety of others. That's why we have regulatory bodies, to ensure this. Those regulatory bodies in turn have an obligation to deal with the public in an equitable manner. We all like to point out and down cry others who don't abide by the restrictions that we abide by willingly and cheer from the side lines when they inevitably fall but is this penalty in this equitable? I'd argue not.

We only know what we have been told, Mike says and probably quite rightly that as this is still active he is limited to what he can say wisely. As far as anyone knows at this point he was not breached for flying over population, airspace violations etc. The only confirmed breaches we know about are "flying in the rain", "flying in fog" and the like and everything else he has done the FAA seems have covered with the blanket charge of "Reckless flying". More charges may, probably will, come out in time but that's what we know now.

What we do know for sure is that FAA knew about this for over a year, indeed they sent him correspondence every month (not for every flight as someone else claimed) listing their concerns which, being an idiot (loveable or not) he ignored. Well I'm sorry, FAA can't have it both ways.

If this was an issue of public safety how does the FAA justify allowing it to knowingly continue daily for over a year while taking no affirmative action to stop it? Here in Australia my door would have been kicked in about the time I ignored the first letter, in fact there would have been no letter in a case of genuine safety concerns. I would have been collared personally. Rightly so.

If on the other hand as suggested by the lack of affirmative action there was no clear and immediate danger to the public then how is this level of penalty justifiable? Remember, we all agree he had something coming but it is a basic underpinning of western democracy and our justice systems that "The punishment should reflect the gravity of the crime". No more and no less. Remember, no one was actually harmed, frightened or offended during the course of his infractions.

Let's put aside the "lynch mob mentality" for a minute. I don't expect my regulatory bodies to sit by for a year and allow something to go on and then when it has reached some arbitrary point to all of a sudden jump in and punish an individual by literally destroying his life. I have serious concerns for Mike's personal safety. Are we all going to feel righteously vindicated and that justice is done when Mike offs himself and his family suffers, let's not forget them, who have done nothing but how are they going to be affected by a $184004 fine? On the streets much? Don't tell me "he should have thought of that before hand" because we've all done stuff we should have thought of before hand. "When you are up to your neck in alligators it's hard to remember that the original intention was to drain the swamp". We're past that point now.

What should of happened is that as soon as it became apparent what Mike was doing he should have been pinged then and there, breached for his actions and faced a just $4 - $5k fine which I am pretty sure would have been quite a speed bump in his life while still allowing him a life to go on with.

In my mind such heavy handed actions by regulatory bodies become an obvious exercise in compliance not in safety and as such they reduce the repute and the respect given to the authority taking these actions. When you don't respect the regulatory body the incentive to take them seriously is greatly lessened.

Also, fair go chaps. You might not agree with me and that's fine but let's play the ball and not the man. I'm not calling anyone out here personally because I have a different opinion. I'd appreciate the same.

Regards
Ari
I'm sorry, but I'm in the camp of "string him up", metaphorically.

He had every chance to do things right. He is a shining example of "ignorance is no excuse". Especially since he can't claim ignorance.

This industry needs a public hanging to use as leverage against those who say the FAA doesn't care. I vote for him and the LAPD moron.

Full disclosure, I know Mikey fairly well. He's a loveable idiot to many and an annoyance to others. I'm in the former category. I wouldn't call him unintelligent by any means. Uneducated, probably. He certainly graduated from the school of hard knocks. To answer one rather unkind question here, I'm pretty certain that he is totally clean and has been for many years but his life experiences have obviously left him with some emotional scars that I am sure have some bearing on how this has all played out.

I can't watch his videos personally, too much yelling and screaming and theatre for me. I still have a touch of PTSD and it sets me off so I don't watch.

I told him along time ago it wasn't going to end well in my eyes, I wasn't the only one by any means but he thought differently and now we're here.

I would never EVER do what he did. I'm a commercial operator, I have thousands invested in training, equipment and business related expenses and that sort of "act now care later" attitude is not in my make up. I don't defend him in any way and we all know and agree that he certainly had something coming.

So, let's look at the other side of this. We all as individuals have an obligation to conduct ourselves in an equitable manner that does not affect the life style and safety of others. That's why we have regulatory bodies, to ensure this. Those regulatory bodies in turn have an obligation to deal with the public in an equitable manner. We all like to point out and down cry others who don't abide by the restrictions that we abide by willingly and cheer from the side lines when they inevitably fall but is this penalty in this equitable? I'd argue not.

What we do know for sure is that FAA knew about this for over a year, indeed they sent him correspondence every month (not for every flight as someone else claimed) listing their concerns which, being an idiot (loveable or not) he ignored. Well I'm sorry, FAA can't have it both ways.

If on the other hand as suggested by the lack of affirmative action there was no clear and immediate danger to the public then how is this level of penalty justifiable? Remember, we all agree he had something coming but it is a basic underpinning of western democracy and our justice systems that "The punishment should reflect the gravity of the crime". No more and no less. Remember, no one was actually harmed, frightened or offended during the course of his infractions.

Let's put aside the "lynch mob mentality" for a minute. I don't expect my regulatory bodies to sit by for a year and allow something to go on and then when it has reached some arbitrary point to all of a sudden jump in and punish an individual by literally destroying his life. I have serious concerns for Mike's personal safety. Are we all going to feel righteously vindicated and that justice is done when Mike offs himself and his family suffers, let's not forget them, who have done nothing but how are they going to be affected by a $184004 fine? On the streets much? Don't tell me "he should have thought of that before hand" because we've all done stuff we should have thought of before hand. "When you are up to your neck in alligators it's hard to remember that the original intention was to drain the swamp". We're past that point now.

In my mind such heavy handed actions by regulatory bodies become an obvious exercise in compliance not in safety and as such they reduce the repute and the respect given to the authority taking these actions. When you don't respect the regulatory body the incentive to take them seriously is greatly lessened.

Regards
Ari
Thanks for this, your point is well made, fine or no fine, internet toxicity takes more lives than a plastic drone ever will.

Just a shame that you had to make that point.

This is just unreal on both sides!
I'm not sure which is crazier, the fact that he "ignored" that many letters from the FAA, or that the FAA waited as long as they did to go after him.

Regardless, in the end this leaves another mark against all of us who fly a UAV, be it legally and safely or not.
Agreed. And I would guess the FAA at least sent those action pending letters by registered mail or signature required. We don’t know.

But for all those who are gung ho on regulation enforcement, please kindly remember remote ID is on it’s way. And when fully implemented, and someone is made a poster child for exceeding the 400’ AGL threshold, by say oh 10’, we can say “string him up”. That system will be the red light camera in the sky. Welcome to SkyNet.

Lol, I am probably in the minority... I just don't think the government should be applauded for this.. Despite him being dumb as a rock.
I personally do NOT like when the government has to be involved... but guys like this make it a necessary evil. He should definitely be held accountable AND fined. If he had stopped at his first warning letter (and $1,500 fine) I think that is in the realm of acceptability (and with an apology and a "I won't do that again" he would probably have gotten off with no fine). If it was one incident and the fine was $184,000 then that is obviously excessive, but he apparently ignored 122 letters/warnings/fines from the FAA. To me that is completely irresponsible and deserves what he gets.

First of all, I commend you for looking at both sides and being as objective as possible
Thanks for that, it's pretty pointless being anything other than realistic about these things.

Life is not always black and white, and certainly this case is not either. However, this is about as close to one side (guilty as charged) as one could probably ever ask for
Totally black in this case. He's guilty.

His attitude and contempt towards the FAA certainly does not help either. Yes contempt, as I saw in one interview with three other YouTube drone flyers. The number of times he told the FAA to go blank themselves was appalling.
Agreed, it's certainly not how I'd handle it.

He also talks about the hundreds (maybe thousands?) of hours he spent tearing apart his MM and getting to know everything about it. If that is all true then how can he come out and say that the FAA regulations are too complex, and that they change too often to keep up?
You may have misheard that part, he certainly spends more time flying than most but I've never heard him claim to tear the drone down (maybe I missed it). Regulations are complex without doubt, I have to stay on top of the regulations here being an RePL and there's no argument from me that anyone who flies needs to be across the regulations without excuse.

I'm not going to go into what Mike claims for himself, I believe the terms I used are "Not unintelligent" and "Uneducated". There is a fine but distinct difference.

In fact in some videos he intentionally switches characters over to his "imaginary Part 107 pilot friend

That's pure "schtik" done for effect. It's not expected for anyone to take it seriously. I believe he also sets his low battery alarm to 50% and then portrays panic when it sounds .. he feels it's entertaining.

If he had no knowledge of such regulations, then how does that commentary arise?
A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing as he found out apparently.

The public should not doubt his sobriety because it has nothing to do with this. Likewise he should personally stop comingling the two as if getting past those hurdles gives him a free pass
I tend to agree.

You must remember a few things though. He disregarded repeated warnings over the course of an entire year from the FAA. Had he looked into this after the very first letter, he wouldn't be where he is today. What "intelligent person" disregards over 100 letters/warnings from the FAA over the course of a year?
OK, this seems to be a common misconception judging by the comments here. One hundred plus breaches yes, one hundred plus letters no, he live streamed every day. FAA would have needed a secretarial pool dedicated to him alone. He held up the letters during his stream and I believe he did state the exact number which escapes me now but it was in the order of 10 to 12. I'm assuming FAA sent him a "monthly roundup" of breaches. I'm not sure that ignoring 10 is any better than ignoring 100 but claims that he was getting daily breach notifications arriving in his mail which he then ignored is not accurate I believe.

Also these are the proposed fines, and await his response as well as negotiation. In most cases the FAA will negotiate a more equitable settlement amount
Part of the reason I am opening myself to public ridicule. I'm hoping that if enough profile is created within the drone community and the FAA become aware that the message is being heard AND that he can convince the FAA that *he* has heard and will change (ball's in your court Mike) that a more equitable penalty may be imposed.

I think there needs to be other content in those letters that we just don't know about.
I'm sure you're right.

Flying in the rain is not against regulations,
I wouldn't have thought so either and yet it is (allegedly) specifically mentioned in the FAA correspondence.

Sorry but this is ridiculous. He has been spouting off about this situation and the fined amount all over the place. Yet he has yet to say anything about what the actual content of the letters.
Not so ridiculous really, he has been open about the amount but has consistently cagy about showing the documents or specifying the contents. If you see the video posted above of Ken OriginalDobo's stream you will see that MIke has received some legal advice from people with a lot of experience defending in this area. I can only assume he is deferring to their advice.

Reckless flying may indeed be a blanket charge, but in these flights it fits very well
You'll get no argument from me.

he flies well over 400 feet
Admittedly, I have not (could not) watch all of his content but 412ft above take off point is the greatest I have seen and that was due to distraction rather than recalcitrance. I may of course have missed the big ticket occasions.

The authorities in the USA and in Australia obviously work very differently.
Less so than you would think. By virtue of being certified, having my own drone business (and plain bad luck?) I'm one of the operators who is called into CASA from time to time for consultation and I'd have to say that it is no coincidence that the meat of the regulations in Australia, U.S., Canada and the U.K. are so similar. There is a lot of collaboration going on.

The FAA is actually short staffed and underfunded.
No different here, but when someone starts actually posing a real and present danger it is prioritised and deal with in a timely fashion. I'd be surprised were the FAA different.

No one being harmed is rather besides the point
I have to disagree. This goes back to the underpinning of the western justice system were the penalty must match the crime for law to equal justice.

Just because no one was hurt, does not make Mikey's actions any less serious.
I'm sorry, but I believe it does. Is there not a difference between a charge of "Dangerous Driving" and "Dangerous Driving causing death"? He should thanks G-d that no one *was* hurt.

No lynch mob here
Just a turn of phrase of course but I do feel that some people are screaming "hang him" (metaphorically speaking) with little actual reflection. I think a more measured approach to things is what's needed to actually accomplish worthwhile change.

The regulatory body did NOT sit idly by for a year. They sent over ONE HUNDRED letters
In effect, if this was indeed the safety issue that is being claimed they did so little that they may as well have sat idly bye. Overworked or not they really want us to believe an agent of the FAA couldn't spend 2 hours to drive there and put and end to it? As I pointed out before, they sent more than 10 letters .. well, I'm glad the problems with 737 Max generated more than letters. Yes, of course I'm being facetious but either it's about safety or it's about compliance. FAA need to be sure what this is really about in their enforcement and we need to be sure before formulating a position.

If he had addressed the issue immediately after the first letter,
On this front we are in total agreement

Very fair and even handed posting by you sir. I don't agree with everything you said, but I don't disagree with all of it either. The point is that we can have a fair, open, and honest discussion without personal attacks.
Likewise from you Sir. I was more pleased than I can say to have a reasoned response. Yes, we don't agree on all points but that doesn't mean we haven't been able to discuss our views in the kind of constructive manner that hobbyists, professionals and regulatory bodies need to be able to if we want to gain anything. Kudos!

I didn't intend to make such a detailed reply to your reply but as others are raising some of these points since our posts, there it is.

I've had my 15 minutes in the spot light and have made my points to the best of my ability so I'll leave it to the other members from here.

Regards
Ari

Cost wise I do feel like it's over the top as far as putting a price on an infraction. I imagine they did so for two reasons (and this is purely speculative).

1) They're more likely to go after corporations or larger companies for infractions, and smaller fines won't really be a deterrent, that is if there was any real likelihood of those fines ever actually being paid.

2) Larger numbers create a media spectacle, which is a sort of round-about free publicity PSA of saying "We're not f'ing around"... despite not doing anything quite so drastic until after a year, waiting for a live-feed that could be seen as a taunt of sort. The probably would have kept sending notices for a while, eventually having a court summon, but then probably saw the live streaming as intentionally challenging their authority.
They're more likely to target the little guy harder than the big guy.

The big guy has money, but the little guy is easier to harass.

Did all the infractions come in all on the same day or did they come weeks at a time?

Did all the infractions come in all on the same day or did they come weeks at a time?
True. The little guy is in no position to repond meaningfully. The ultra elite will always buy influence and get preferential treatment. It‘s all about money.

Notwithstanding that Mikey's YouTube post commentaries are humorous or annoying (depending on your point of view), and his flying totally irresponsible, I think to myself how soon is it going to be that some buffoon sees his stuff and says "If "Phillydronelife" can get away with it, then maybe I can, and get a reputation with a big following on YouTube & maybe make some cash as a nice little "earner" for myself!" It's well known that sailing channels on YouTube sometimes deliberately show young, attractive, bikini-clad girls as "click-bait" to attract views but if some dimwit were to do the drone equivalent with the click-bait title "Screw the FAA, I'm Gonna Break All the Rules, Catch Me If You Can!" where might we end up?
In nearly 50 years of pursuing my main hobby of scuba diving I've visited several continents, seas and oceans but only within the last four years have I found in the DJI Mavic range a drone small, compact & light weight enough to carry on board international flights so I can shoot aerial video to complement the underwater video I take on these trips. At several locations out in the back of beyond however, I've needed to take light aircraft or sea-plane flights to reach said destinations. On international flights with commensurate, large jet aircraft, the risk of being "taken down" by an irresponsible drone flyer (or birds a la "Miracle on the Hudson") may be negligible but with light aircraft and sea planes that might be a different kettle of fish and one only has to check out posts on YouTube to see the growing quantity of aerial videos that are being shot to appreciate the potential problems if drone regulations are flouted. In 1972 I recall flying from Nassau, Bahamas with two nurses, a doctor and the pilot to drop the medical staff off for their monthly "surgeries" to treat patients on Acklins Island, a round trip of some 560 miles. Flying down at 5,000 feet but returning at 500 feet to marvel at the views of the Exuma Cays, do you think if I undertook that flight nowadays I'd be justified in being somewhat nervous and my life at risk if I thought members of the barmy, "drone-anarchists brigade" might be somewhere on the loose on the flight-path, prepared to fly a UAV well over the 400 foot limit because "Rules are meant for others but not for me"?
No Mikey, I hope the FAA reduces your fine to a more reasonable level but irresponsible actions which might encourage others to follow suit will not find me donating to any "Go Fund Me" appeal any time soon.

Last edited:

Look at his YouTube channel "PhillydroneLife" and you'll see the answer!

Notwithstanding that Mikey's YouTube post commentaries are humorous or annoying (depending on your point of view), and his flying totally irresponsible, I think to myself how soon is it going to be that some buffoon sees his stuff and says "If "Phillydronelife" can get away with it, then maybe I can, and get a reputation with a big following on YouTube & maybe make some cash as a nice little "earner" for myself!" It's well known that sailing channels on YouTube sometimes deliberately show young, attractive, bikini-clad girls as "click-bait" to attract views but if some dimwit were to do the drone equivalent with the click-bait title "Screw the FAA, I'm Gonna Break All the Rules, Catch Me If You Can!" where might we end up?
In nearly 50 years of pursuing my main hobby of scuba diving I've visited several continents, seas and oceans but only within the last four years have I found in the DJI Mavic range a drone small, compact & light weight enough to carry on board international flights so I can shoot aerial video to complement the underwater video I take on these trips. At several locations out in the back of beyond however, I've needed to take light aircraft or sea-plane flights to reach said destinations. On international flights with commensurate, large jet aircraft, the risk of being "taken down" by an irresponsible drone flyer (or birds a la "Miracle on the Hudson") may be negligible but with light aircraft and sea planes that might be a different kettle of fish and one only has to check out posts on YouTube to see the growing quantity of aerial videos that are being shot to appreciate the potential problems if drone regulations are flouted. In 1972 I recall flying from Nassau, Bahamas with two nurses, a doctor and the pilot to drop the medical staff off for their monthly "surgeries" to treat patients on Acklins Island, a round trip of some 560 miles. Flying down at 5,000 feet but returning at 500 feet to marvel at the views of the Exuma Cays, do you think if I undertook that flight nowadays I'd be justified in being somewhat nervous and my life at risk if I thought members of the barmy, "drone-anarchists brigade" might be somewhere on the loose on the flight-path, prepared to fly a UAV well over the 400 foot limit because "Rules are meant for others but not for me"?
No Mikey, I hope the FAA reduces your fine to a more reasonable level but irresponsible actions which might encourage others to follow suit will not find me donating to any "Go Fund Me" appeal any time soon.
That's what Mikey (and many others) do not understand (or care to acknowledge) about breaking the regulations. They are putting other INNOCENT CIVILIANS at risk. Be it an airliner with hundreds of people or a small GA craft with just a pilot aboard. Others compare it to speeding on the highway and the comparison is deeply flawed in two ways. First, you will not take out a vehicle with potentially hundreds of people aboard by speeding in your car. Second when you are the driver of a car you will show some restraint due to trying to preserve your own safety and life. When a remote pilot flies a UAV recklessly, they are removed from any personal danger to themselves and thus feel no danger or risk.

I also shall not be contributing to his GoFundMe page!

Just as a matter of interest does anyone know
a) if each letter contained a fine or
b) was the fine levied/propossed en masse?

I have no intention of watch his tube but has he flown since me got the shock and if so has he modified his flying?

You may have misheard that part, he certainly spends more time flying than most but I've never heard him claim to tear the drone down (maybe I missed it). Regulations are complex without doubt, I have to stay on top of the regulations here being an RePL and there's no argument from me that anyone who flies needs to be across the regulations without excuse.

I'm not going to go into what Mike claims for himself, I believe the terms I used are "Not unintelligent" and "Uneducated". There is a fine but distinct difference.
Yes he does mention that in one video interview I saw, If he put one hundredth of that effort into learning the regulations then he would not be in this situation.

Yes I see your distinction. I think Mikey knows how to play the game and play people to his advantage.

That's pure "schtik" done for effect. It's not expected for anyone to take it seriously. I believe he also sets his low battery alarm to 50% and then portrays panic when it sounds .. he feels it's entertaining.
Yes understood that it is part of his "comedy" routine. However my point is that he pleads ignorance of the regulations but then his dialogue contradicts that.

OK, this seems to be a common misconception judging by the comments here. One hundred plus breaches yes, one hundred plus letters no, he live streamed every day.
Thank you for the correction. Being that he keeps the details secret, I have no frame of reference for what is the actual count. Either way, he ignored a lot of warnings!

I wouldn't have thought so either and yet it is (allegedly) specifically mentioned in the FAA correspondence.
The operative word there is "allegedly". Until we know exactly what the FAA letters say, it is a bit of a guessing game.

Not so ridiculous really, he has been open about the amount but has consistently cagy about showing the documents or specifying the contents. If you see the video posted above of Ken OriginalDobo's stream you will see that MIke has received some legal advice from people with a lot of experience defending in this area. I can only assume he is deferring to their advice.
Well then he is not taking legal advice very well. He keeps spouting off information about his flights and his "innocence" or "ignorance" and also self incriminating information all the time. None of that helps him. Yet the official FAA documents will not change the facts of the case either way. They simply are what they are. Actually I am now wondering if they are available under FoIA. These should in fact be public documents.

Admittedly, I have not (could not) watch all of his content but 412ft above take off point is the greatest I have seen and that was due to distraction rather than recalcitrance. I may of course have missed the big ticket occasions.
Yes you have missed it then. He flew right in Center City (as it is known here; the heart of metropolitan Philadelphia) at around 1100 feet AGL.

In this video

(Mod Video removed for Langage )

He is discussing his FAA fines.

He can't even hang on to his phone.

For flying something that is less than half a pound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J