DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA FINES PHILADELPHIA DRONE PILOT

Status
Not open for further replies.
One hopes that the FAA is still regulated by a human being, and there is still some modicum of compassion if the accused pleads guilty. It seems the hobby is growing faster than the rate of education and compliance to the applicable laws. Combined with the recent case of the drone hitting the Police helicopter, it would seem the in the US, enforcement is getting tighter and tighter.

I suppose a lot depends on his reply to the FAA, and if he pleads guilty, is it still depending on the grace of the FAA to consider a reduced fine? Its a question - Can the FAA reduce the fine, or is it a fixed amount required by law?

At the same time, should he end up not being able to pay, would it end up bankrupting him only, or will this lead to further criminal proceeding?

If one doesn't know they need to fly below 400ft AGL, they shouldn't have a 107. Granted that would only be one question, but it should be worth 30 points. Even flying recreationally one should know this, especially if they registered.

One hopes that the FAA is still regulated by a human being, and there is still some modicum of compassion if the accused pleads guilty. It seems the hobby is growing faster than the rate of education and compliance to the applicable laws. Combined with the recent case of the drone hitting the Police helicopter, it would seem the in the US, enforcement is getting tighter and tighter.

I suppose a lot depends on his reply to the FAA, and if he pleads guilty, is it still depending on the grace of the FAA to consider a reduced fine? Its a question - Can the FAA reduce the fine, or is it a fixed amount required by law?

At the same time, should he end up not being able to pay, would it end up bankrupting him only, or will this lead to further criminal proceeding?
Dont worry , here in the U.S we can negotiate just about everything from Taxes to the FAA.
If they can get him to stop breaking the rules , they will reduce the amount and allow a payment plan .

My bet is he might pay $5000 on up to maybe $10,000 but i would be surprised if its more than that so he will be ok.
He also has gotten money from many of us to help him out.

As far as the FAA enforcement getting tighter, these incidents are just blips on the Radar, and the very fact that we can still fly in the city and soar above buildings lest you know are drone freedoms are still in tact , it just takes some approvals and common sense . So the FAA is just doing there job to protect the city and its people.

I can tell you that the incident did scare some people , but nobody is taking down there long distance flights as the FAA really kind of stands in the shadows until they have no other choice to have to step out.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and Land on Water

This sounds quite unlikely.
They aren't doing anything to advance this supposed agenda.
I would think having a 107 could get you in more legal trouble. The only thing a 107 seems to be for , is to create a serious amount of red tape. Anything you film or do commercially with a drone becomes a seriously difficult endeavor and liability for the pilot,. Especially, if the pilot accidentally violates any of the FAA's statutes.

I would think having a 107 could get you in more legal trouble. The only thing a 107 seems to be for , is to create a serious amount of red tape. Anything you film or do commercially with a drone becomes a seriously difficult endeavor and liability for the pilot,. Especially, if the pilot accidentally violates any of the FAA's statutes.
I couldn't disagree more. Flying "recreationally" doesn't absolve you of violations. I actually believe licensed pilots are, or should be, better versed in the regulations.

A license for UAS gives me the ability to fly for my business, legally. I took the time to study, and pass the FCC exam. I can still fly for recreation, and do.

In the end, Mikey's attitude, continued flying and videos may not help his cause.

Reactions: CactusJackSlade
I couldn't disagree more. Flying "recreationally" doesn't absolve you of violations. I actually believe licensed pilots are, or should be, better versed in the regulations.

A license for UAS gives me the ability to fly for my business, legally. I took the time to study, and pass the FCC exam. I can still fly for recreation, and do.

In the end, Mikey's attitude, continued flying and videos may not help his cause.
Yes, I too fly both "107 cert and recreational". Just having to go through the learning hoops of a 107 will keep most people out of trouble. That being said there are certain things a Rec flyer can do that a 107 pilot must get a waiver for - like flying at night for instance. I feel the FAA guidelines are not equal and cause problems. If I am a Rec flyer, I can fly at night if I obey the rules. If I fly a "job" at night I need a waiver.... not equal, in the wrong direction. Shouldn't the "less informed" be required to get authorization to fly at night? Just my opinion.

Reactions: NG Wildman
Yes, I too fly both "107 cert and recreational". Just having to go through the learning hoops of a 107 will keep most people out of trouble. That being said there are certain things a Rec flyer can do that a 107 pilot must get a waiver for - like flying at night for instance. I feel the FAA guidelines are not equal and cause problems. If I am a Rec flyer, I can fly at night if I obey the rules. If I fly a "job" at night I need a waiver.... not equal, in the wrong direction. Shouldn't the "less informed" be required to get authorization to fly at night? Just my opinion.

Yeah I recently got my 107 and I was surprised to find that out. It makes no sense to me. The licensed ones should have more leeway.

Reactions: CactusJackSlade
I've watched his videos for over 2 years and those flights partly got me into drones. I want to make clear that I'm not a "hater' or a "troll" as he and his supporters call it.

So based on watching all of his videos for years, based on flying drones(camera and FPV), and based on general experience with the hobby, I'd like to share my thoughts.

I believe it's obvious to any reasonable person that's flying in the manner he was, that they are breaking flight laws. I especially think it's obvious to anyone using those DJI drones, flying where he's flying, accepting the responsibility notices he accepts, and from his commentary and explicit actions to try to remain legal or at least seem as though he is trying and remaining legal.

Based on his commentary about drone laws, about personal flight actions(I am not above moving cars and people and within line of sight), and about equipment he is using, such as "firehouse lights" as well as his "side kick Stu," whom is a 107 license, it's clear he knows that he is breaking some laws. No jury or reasonable judge or adjudicator would see that otherwise. Period.

If that wasn't clear enough, the numerous letters he received from the FAA as well as explicitly accepting various responsibilities within the DJI Go app, as well as getting LAANC approval(he's mentioned he's gotten numerous approvals) further his "I didn't know the rules" excuse. Not that it is a worthy excuse at all.

Personally speaking, I've commented on his videos. I've asked him various questions such as "how can you fly that close to a skyscraper?" and "how can you fly that far beyond VLOS?" He never responded, but I know he saw the messages.

Fast forward and I notice I've been banned by him(or whomever can ban for him) just for simply asking about the validity and safety of his flights. My comments and chats no longer show up on his channel.

Again, to any reasonable person that's ( Mod Removed Language) in jevidence that he knows he is breaking the law and continuing to do so.

------------------------------------------

As for the fine amounts, whether they're fair or not, I don't know. I don't know how those figures came to be, I don't know how they compare to other fines regarding model aircraft and even aviation fines.

I don't think the fines in and of themselves are excessive. However when you add them all up, it is a lot. Keep in mind that they only looked at flights from 2019 (October, I believe) going forward. I can 100% say he's had the same time of flying before them, at least a year if not years before then. All at regular intervals... hundreds of flights that broke similar rules.

Considering that, he got away lucky.

As someone who flies a drone, what he did was dangerous. Period. I've seen his videos and the numerous times he's lost control, where his video dropped, where his transmission dropped, where the DJI app simply crashed or glitched out. He's posted videos of close calls, one where he had the RTH height set incorrectly and the drone lost transmission/video. The drone then proceeded to go home, but guess what, it was at the top of a skyscraper. We're talking nearly 1000 ft in the air. The drone then continues to go forward into it, however the forward collision sensors pick it up and continue to keep trying until it clears the skyscraper. Yes, APAS in action, but holy smokes. A drone coming within feet of colliding with a tip of a skyscraper and potentially falling onto people or vehicles.

This wasn't a sub 250 Mini. This was a heavy Mavic 2 level drone.

That is just one close call. He had others posted.

My point of telling this anecdote is that these laws exist so things don't go wrong. They don't exist after things go wrong, as others have said "but he didn't hurt anyone or cause any damage." Once you do that it's too late. Laws help prevent damage and harm.

-------------------------------------------

I'd like to close saying that while I'm not a fan of his commentary and antics, some of the images and videos that he took were breathtaking. Some of the best I've seen done by a drone this side of Hollywood. (Mod Removed Language) even with professional video taken into account.

It only took knowingly breaking tens of laws, $100k+ in fines, and endangering people and property to get them.

Last edited by a moderator:

He could start by taking down videos that encourage bad flying behavior and stop pushing back against the FAA .... AND stop whining to the public about HIS bad behavior that got him in trouble. If her were to do that, suck it up and admit guilt I'm sure the FAA would relax a whole bunch on the fine.

I don’t think anyone is saying that the FAA is perfect or even fair. However, we are saying that he clearly and knowingly broke the laws. FAA’s standing has no bearing on his culpability.

I don’t think he should take the videos down. It’s abundantly clear that one is breaking the law when they’re using one of these drones. Watching his videos isn’t going to convince someone to fly as recklessly as he does. That’s along the line of violent movies and video games lead to violence argument...

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
If one doesn't know they need to fly below 400ft AGL, they shouldn't have a 107. Granted that would only be one question, but it should be worth 30 points. Even flying recreationally one should know this, especially if they registered.
I'm wondering if this guy really did pass the 107 test. Maybe he had someone else take it for him

Yes, I too fly both "107 cert and recreational". Just having to go through the learning hoops of a 107 will keep most people out of trouble. That being said there are certain things a Rec flyer can do that a 107 pilot must get a waiver for - like flying at night for instance. I feel the FAA guidelines are not equal and cause problems. If I am a Rec flyer, I can fly at night if I obey the rules. If I fly a "job" at night I need a waiver.... not equal, in the wrong direction. Shouldn't the "less informed" be required to get authorization to fly at night? Just my

I agree. However for example: as a former landscaper and botanist, I need a license (also times and weather conditions)to apply fertilizer to a customer's property. I as a knowledgeable person was restricted far more than a homeowner that could barely read the application instructions (if they even bothered).
With the knowledge comes the responsibility. Even as ridiculous as it sounds.
This guy is a loud, pompass blowhard. He is vulgar and contradicts himself (actually lies outright) several times within 30 seconds. I don't know how anyone can take him seriously nor believe anything he says.
He does need a large fine for his blatant stupidity and mocking the rules while breaking them.
Although I am glad to see support from people for people in the drone hobby, I can't believe how many seem to forgive him and think he shouldn't be punished. Besides being soooooo unsafe, some peoples inly experience with drones and drone pilots are his rants and videos.
THAT'S NOT WHAT THE DRONE HOBBY NEEDS.
He has done a huge dis-service to us all, and for that, I don't care if they make an example of him.

The FAA enforcement process is long and deliberate. All Enforcement actions begin with a letter or letters to the subject person who is involved. The letter requests a response within a noted date / time. The response letter determines where the potential violation goes next. The FAA utilizes a Sanction Table from the Inspectors Handbook to determine a Monetary Fine based on the violation or Violations. That sanctioned amount is ALWAYS reduced, either by Regional FAA, or Washington FAA. I’m sure this case will be mitigated down both in violations and sanctions at the end of all the package reviews. I’m also sure the accused received all the required letters in a timely fashion. I think his biggest mistake so far was not responding to his first FAA letter within the required time.

Blue Skies and Happy Trails.

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
The FAA enforcement process is long and deliberate. All Enforcement actions begin with a letter or letters to the subject person who is involved. The letter requests a response within a noted date / time. The response letter determines where the potential violation goes next. The FAA utilizes a Sanction Table from the Inspectors Handbook to determine a Monetary Fine based on the violation or Violations. That sanctioned amount is ALWAYS reduced, either by Regional FAA, or Washington FAA. I’m sure this case will be mitigated down both in violations and sanctions at the end of all the package reviews. I’m also sure the accused received all the required letters in a timely fashion. I think his biggest mistake so far was not responding to his first FAA letter within the required time.

Blue Skies and Happy Trails.
In my country, expect the worst from authorities. Be grateful that yours just want to enforce the law justly.

In my country, expect the worst from authorities. Be grateful that yours just want to enforce the law justly.
it’s very sad, I was born near Bukkit Baru and I wouldn’t go back.

I agree. However for example: as a former landscaper and botanist, I need a license (also times and weather conditions)to apply fertilizer to a customer's property. I as a knowledgeable person was restricted far more than a homeowner that could barely read the application instructions (if they even bothered).
With the knowledge comes the responsibility. Even as ridiculous as it sounds.
This guy is a loud, pompass blowhard. He is vulgar and contradicts himself (actually lies outright) several times within 30 seconds. I don't know how anyone can take him seriously nor believe anything he says.
He does need a large fine for his blatant stupidity and mocking the rules while breaking them.
Although I am glad to see support from people for people in the drone hobby, I can't believe how many seem to forgive him and think he shouldn't be punished. Besides being soooooo unsafe, some peoples inly experience with drones and drone pilots are his rants and videos.
THAT'S NOT WHAT THE DRONE HOBBY NEEDS.
He has done a huge dis-service to us all, and for that, I don't care if they make an example of him.
My comment was only addressing the 107 vs Rec flyer, yes this guy is a real tool and should be smacked down. See my other previous post (Post #150) :)

Reactions: Gringorio
The guy's a perfect role model for how to not fly responsibly. He gives operators who follow the rules a bad name and taint the perception of the hobby with the general public. I see so many of you on here flaunting breaking the rules and then posting videos about it online or just talking on here about operations you've done which clearly break the rules, but of course, you were just doing it for "testing" purposes or had many "spotters" along the way. Yeah one or two of you may have a spotter or two with you, but we all know the rest of you don't, and your posts are thinly veiled to cover your butt.

I've got no sympathy for this guy. None whatsoever. I've seen a few of his videos and they all sickened me. I lost count how many times he did something illegal and to top it off, his irresponsible "commentary" was just horrifying to listen to considering this person was operating a UAV in a densely populated city. I got recommended his channel by YouTube after searching for Mavic Air 2 and I had to eventually tell YouTube to stop recommending the channel because it disturbed me to watch.

You do the crime, you do the time. He got caught, he should man up and deal with the consequences like an adult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078