DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA Part 107 Registration - UPDATE!!

You got me excited for a second! That sounded like a really good reasonable approach but then I remembered that the FAA addressed this in the final rule and unfortunately threw this out.

The final rule says:

“A significant number of commenters, representing manned and unmanned aviation, manufacturers, users of unmanned aircraft, some State and local law enforcement agencies, and numerous individuals opposed the proposed requirement to provide the location of the control station to the public and cited a number of reasons including ensuring the safety of the person manipulating the flight controls of the UAS. Commenters expressed concerns about the privacy of their operations and that this information could increase the dangers for UAS operators and their property potentially resulting in assault, home invasion, and theft of their UAS and other equipment.”

[... edited for length...goes on for three pages listing various groups and organizations that oppose allowing the public to receive the pilot’s location...]

...”By including this message element, the remote identification message allows the FAA, law enforcement, and the public to have awareness of unmanned aircraft operations and correlate the location of unmanned aircraft with the location of their respective operators. The availability of this information will promote accountability and trust in the unmanned aircraft community overall.”

[...edited for length... FAA says they acknowledges the safety concerns and risk involved with the public having operator location but FAA says they don’t care (in more politically correct terms.) FAA says existing laws about assault and theft ensure safety so this isn’t a problem, nothing to see here. Oh brother!?]

...“Many commenters suggested the FAA modify the proposed regulation to allow for the control station location [remote controller, effectively pilot location] to only be available to specific entities such as the FAA and law enforcement. Though some commenters suggested using encryption techniques to accomplish this, the FAA finds that implementation of such a nuanced requirement would be highly complex, costly, and impractical. The FAA does not intend to limit who can receive the broadcast messages, and allowing encryption of certain message elements would limit who can receive the broadcast messages only to those with the capability to decrypt the messages. Allowing encryption is inconsistent with the FAA’s policy that the remote identification message elements should be publicly available information.

[...edited for length... The FAA says furthermore that allowing some message elements to be available to LE but not the public is too complicated and expensive to implement.]

...“Therefore, the FAA adopts the control station location requirement as proposed.”
FAA Remote ID Final Rule pages 110-120

So unless I’ve misunderstood this it is actually their policy that all message elements “should be” available to the public. They seem to make clear this is an intentional designed feature of remote ID. They acknowledge and then dismiss any concerns about pilot safely resulting from the public having this information
Control freaks...they're everywhere!

I've known my Congressman for 20 years, from the days when he was in the State Assembly, and I was CIO and Director of IT for the state. I haven't spoken to him in years, and perhaps it's time to re-connect.

It's looking pretty clear that the only way to divert the FAA from this Evil course, will be through a political process of some kind. Perhaps, that might be more effective after the elections next year...

It won't make any practical difference to my drone flying. I have very few neighbors, and I'm happy to have them know who/where I am. One of my neighbors rescued my little S5C trainer, and was amused by it. Somone else is interested in a demo.

But this entire control-freak approach is just completley wrong-headed, and shouldn't be allowed to go unchallenged.

(sigh)

TCS

Reactions: JDerrick
Control freaks...they're everywhere!

I've known my Congressman for 20 years, from the days when he was in the State Assembly, and I was CIO and Director of IT for the state. I haven't spoken to him in years, and perhaps it's time to re-connect.

It's looking pretty clear that the only way to divert the FAA from this Evil course, will be through a political process of some kind. Perhaps, that might be more effective after the elections next year...

It won't make any practical difference to my drone flying. I have very few neighbors, and I'm happy to have them know who/where I am. One of my neighbors rescued my little S5C trainer, and was amused by it. Somone else is interested in a demo.

But this entire control-freak approach is just completley wrong-headed, and shouldn't be allowed to go unchallenged.

(sigh)

TCS
Yea man they are gonna have to change it. The more people I explain this to even people that don’t fly a drone think it’s crazy. People just won’t comply with the rule.

Reactions: JDerrick
Proactive...FAA...Proactive...FAA...hmm I can't seem to make that make sense. Just kidding. Cynical based on 37 years of FAA knowledge. Proactive is a welcome change and I look forward to their new approach.
So in September they will announce the rules be rolled back and that hanging boxes and batteries and antenna and wires off the sides of UAVs makes them "LESS" Safe ( a lot LESS Safe) and Amazon just needs to know where we all are and will start charging $5 per flight or the $20 a day unlimited plan.
What will the FAA do when this happens? Will they just disolve themselves and hide? Will the PAID politicians hide or will we see all that money going around in circles? I think those that werent paid should be fired immediately for looking the other way and not representing any state, not even their own **** wallets.

How did you think this was gonna end? What could possibly go right?
Did ya think that people were gonna pay $100 to have a cup of coffee delivered
to them from a mile away in a drone with 27 inch propellers?
What could possibly go right?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato