Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA Part 107 sUAS Recurrent Test ~

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reactions
This thread is just for those who have already passed their Part 107 RPIC test and are coming up on their 24 month time period to become current again.

Here's a great video by one of our sponsors Gold Seal giving some pertinent information about the P107 Recurrent Test.

If you are a Part 61 operator AND you are CURRENT then you only need to take the ONLINE test and PASS it! Print it off and add it to you "On Person" documents in case you get a Ramp Check.

Reactions: svickstc and Wilbur
Just finished my recurrent test, couple of notes. Like it says I did not see any weather questions. Lots of airspace questions. Know your sectional charts. (Victory/federal airways) The 3DR online test prep is a good resource, go through all the questions. You might recognize a question, but pay attention to what is being asked. They change up the longitude/latitude for different answers.
It is my understanding that you must keep all the certified paperwork because FAA doesn't issue any recert documents. Somehow it is on file if your cert is checked, but I don't know where. IACRA doesn't show it.
Fly safe.

Reactions: BigAl07
Just finished my recurrent test, couple of notes. Like it says I did not see any weather questions. Lots of airspace questions. Know your sectional charts. (Victory/federal airways)

Just to avoid confusion, they are victor airways.

Great point. Imagine my surprise when I saw Federal Airways on the test. The question referenced a sectional chart, and the route was very clear.
M

As we talk about testing, be aware that several changes in testing, especially for those desiring to fly at night and over people, are in the works to correlate with possible changes in the FAA 107 regulations which are being discussed now. If you want to look at the new proposed rules and see how to comment, go to Regulations.gov

As we talk about testing, be aware that several changes in testing, especially for those desiring to fly at night and over people, are in the works to correlate with possible changes in the FAA 107 regulations which are being discussed now. If you want to look at the new proposed rules and see how to comment, go to Regulations.gov

That was an interesting read. Thanks for the link!

This thread is just for those who have already passed their Part 107 RPIC test and are coming up on their 24 month time period to become current again.

Here's a great video by one of our sponsors Gold Seal giving some pertinent information about the P107 Recurrent Test.

If you are a Part 61 operator AND you are CURRENT then you only need to take the ONLINE test and PASS it! Print it off and add it to you "On Person" documents in case you get a Ramp Check.
Big Al, do you think the new rules will change the content of the recurrent test?

Big Al, do you think the new rules will change the content of the recurrent test?

Honestly I don't think so as they aren't related at all that I can tell. Now when new "allowances/rules" for Part 107 come about that will affect the re-current test for sure but for now this is Section 349 changes and not Part 107.

Honestly I don't think so as they aren't related at all that I can tell. Now when new "allowances/rules" for Part 107 come about that will affect the re-current test for sure but for now this is Section 349 changes and not Part 107.
Thanks. I have a year and a half to go, so hopefully I can take advantage of some good feedback from people take any sort of revised test.

Reactions: BigAl07
It is my understanding that you must keep all the certified paperwork because FAA doesn't issue any recert documents. Somehow it is on file if your cert is checked, but I don't know where. IACRA doesn't show it.

I took my recurrent in March. I tried to put it in the IACRA, but it never came up. So I called my proctor, and she told me we just have to keep the paper she printed with the pressed out seal. I have a waterproof hard case for my Mavic, so I put the paper in there, and I take it with me wherever I go to fly. It's my understanding the plastic license is a one time thing, and the recurrent is merely a piece of paper we need to keep with us. Perhaps that's one reason why commercial airline pilots always carry a nice briefcase.

I took my recurrent in March. I tried to put it in the IACRA, but it never came up. So I called my proctor, and she told me we just have to keep the paper she printed with the pressed out seal. I have a waterproof hard case for my Mavic, so I put the paper in there, and I take it with me wherever I go to fly. It's my understanding the plastic license is a one time thing, and the recurrent is merely a piece of paper we need to keep with us. Perhaps that's one reason why commercial airline pilots always carry a nice briefcase.

That's correct. You just carry your "proof of currency" with you. Our Pilots License was paper for many years.... that was a challenge LOL

I recently passed my recurrent test - however, I missed one question two many the first time I took it! This is just a heads-up. I bought the lifetime course from FAA Part 107 Test, FAA Part 107 Study Guide, Part 107 Practice Test which guarantees if you fail that they reimburse the cost of the test, so you can take it again without having to pay again. I have been trying to get my $150 back for a month and 1/2! I have loved this course and these guys have alway been up front with everything, but I cannot get them to even reply to my request for reimbursement. I have "chatted" online and been told to provide my info which I have done about 3 times now - but.........crickets!

If any of you have a contact there, or have any information - please let me know. I don't want to bad-mount nor hurt these guys, I just want what I paid for. - Thanks.

Shep:
Are you saying you failed the test? It sounds like it. I personally wouldn't give the Feds any more money for anything if I don't have to. I just took my initial 107 test and paid $150! The people running the testing facility told me that very little of that goes to them with the vast majority of the fee going to the FAA and CTS (I think that is the scheduling contractor for the tests). The written exams used to be free for all pilot's licenses as I recall. What a racket the FAA is and the whole drone industry cottage businesses that provide testing training, etc. I did use the free FAA course for practice as well as another 'free' Youtube course which took 1hr 43 mins and it was very good! Well worth the time. BTW, the testing authority (FAA) providing guaranteed to pass insurance sounds like a conflict of interest if you ask me.

Shep:
Are you saying you failed the test? It sounds like it. I personally wouldn't give the Feds any more money for anything if I don't have to. I just took my initial 107 test and paid $150! The people running the testing facility told me that very little of that goes to them with the vast majority of the fee going to the FAA and CTS (I think that is the scheduling contractor for the tests). The written exams used to be free for all pilot's licenses as I recall. What a racket the FAA is and the whole drone industry cottage businesses that provide testing training, etc. I did use the free FAA course for practice as well as another 'free' Youtube course which took 1hr 43 mins and it was very good! Well worth the time. BTW, the testing authority (FAA) providing guaranteed to pass insurance sounds like a conflict of interest if you ask me.

The FAA had/has nothing to do with the school I payed for. I have since passed the test. And also since my post, the company is sending my reimbursement check.

Reactions: Rangerider
The FAA had/has nothing to do with the school I payed for. I have since passed the test. And also since my post, the company is sending my reimbursement check.
Sorry I misunderstood your post. I hope you get your money back.

I e-mailed the FAA and asked if a digital copy, such as a scan or photo would be sufficient as proof that you passed your recurrent test, and they said it was as long as the digital copy can be displayed on a device that you have with you.

I just took the 107 recurrency test...mine was very heavy on sectional charts and airspace.

The 40 questions took me 26 minutes, no problems noted EXCEPT:

In the illustration book you have to use with the test (which has charts/graphs and excerpts from the AFD, METARs, etc. for every pilot rating) a regular aviation plotter is useless.

The sectional chart excerpts are reduced scale, so use a piece of paper and make your own statue mile/nautical mile rulers with it....easier to locate things on their sectionals. The scales are on the bottom of the chart.

Luckily I caught that...and was able to change one of my answers before completing the test.

BTW, I used the Flight Ready Remote Pilot test prep app (installed on my iPhone and iPad). I used it for my initial 107 test 2 years ago and they also have a separate section for recurrency testing now.

100%...the test proctor gave me a funny look and said “Wow - haven’t seen a 100 on that test.”

I replied “Well sir, I guess you can’t say that anymore...”

Excellent app!

One more comment...as pointed out above just make a copy of your test results and carry with you in the drone case...put the original in your safe.

This is nothing new...Part 61 (Private) pilots have to have their logbooks with them which show completion/signoff of a BFR (Biennial Flight Review) every two years.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato