DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA Registration. Selling my already registered drone!

vinhidalgo

Reactions
Hello guys!!

I'm selling my MPP wich is already registered with the FAA. Do I have to register the drone under the new pilot's name or it's a one time registration only? No need to register under a new use name?

Thanks

If i remember from a thread on the dji forums you must notify dji for the change, although the device will still be under your email address a moderator said

not to sure, as far as the faa goes I dont think they have a transfer of ownership, I would definitely inform them, and if the new pilot registers the craft the registration should overlap?

have the new owner register the craft if possible and maybe a signed & dated bill of sale, make copy for the new owner, to confirm if that pilot crashes and the drone is recovered to your email address

If you registered with the FAA under the "hobby/recreation" registration, then you registered YOURSELF and not the specific drone. Thus if you sell your drone, the only thing you need to do is remove the registration number label from the drone.

The new owner will need to register themselves with the FAA.

If you registered the drone itself with the FAA under Part 107, then you should go to your account and remove the drone.

There's nothing you need to do with DJI.

When I sold my Spark, I notified the new owner I was immediately going to cancel my FAA registration, and that it was his responsibility to get a new FAA registration for the bird. As soon as I got home, that's what I did. I've no idea if he registered it or not.

When I sold my Spark, I notified the new owner I was immediately going to cancel my FAA registration, and that it was his responsibility to get a new FAA registration for the bird. As soon as I got home, that's what I did. I've no idea if he registered it or not.
Was it registered under Part 107?

They register you not the drone

My 2018 FAA registration card includes my name, the drone make and model, plus the serial number. I did register as hobby/recreation, although it doesn't designate that anywhere on the card. The title on the card is Small UAS Certificate of Registration. That implies that the drone is registered.

As of 2018, you do have to register and pay the $5 fee once again, at least until the current court challenge is settled.

My 2018 FAA registration card includes my name, the drone make and model, plus the serial number. I did register as hobby/recreation, although it doesn't designate that anywhere on the card. The title on the card is Small UAS Certificate of Registration. That implies that the drone is registered.

As of 2018, you do have to register and pay the $5 fee once again, at least until the current court challenge is settled.

All of these statements are incorrect. If you registeded at the FAA site you were not asked any information about a drone. The FAA does not give out this information either (with the information you need to have with you). You also don't need to register and drones with the FAA. lastly, the FAA registration has bee in re-effect for many months now.

Edit: I reread your last statement and had read it incorrectly the first time. You are correct.

FAA does not ask for any drone info at all. If you were prompted for make model and serial, you registered on a non FAA site. Most of which are charging $25 or more for the $5 registration.

Reactions: k9x9

Weird as they register you not the drone

All of these statements are incorrect. If you registeded at the FAA site you were not asked any information about a drone. The FAA does not give out this information either (with the information you need to have with you). You also don't need to register and drones with the FAA. lastly, the FAA registration has bee in re-effect for many months now.

Edit: I reread your last statement and had read it incorrectly the first time. You are correct.

I followed instructions on a web site or YouTube video that said the $5 registration fee was back in effect as of 2018. The instructions said I would be charged $5 and would be issued a card that I had to keep with me when flying my drone.

I was in the FAA site and set up an account. It did ask for personal information. At that point I never received any proof of registration, nor was I charged the $5 fee.

FAADroneZone

Looking at the FAA site again, it looks like I registered under Part 107, because the description says, "I need to register my small unmanned aircraft for recreational, commercial, government, or other purposes under Part 107. Each drone must be registered at a cost of $5 and registration is valid for a period of 3 years."

The other option is Section 336 where the description states "I need to register my small unmanned aircraft to fly with an aero-modeling club and following all requirements of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft." This still implies that you are registering the drone.

The Section 336 option clearly did not apply be cause I was not joining a club, so I chose Part 107. Did I register incorrectly? Are you saying I did not have to go beyond setting up the account?

Last edited:
Did I register incorrectly? Are you saying I did not have to go beyond setting up the account?

You did choose the incorrect registration type. Hobbyists register under section 336, part 107 is for commercial pilots.

Awkward wording on the FAA's part, but if you read the information from the related links, it's pretty clear.

The other option is Section 336 where the description states "I need to register my small unmanned aircraft to fly with an aero-modeling club and following all requirements of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft." This still implies that you are registering the drone.

The Section 336 option clearly did not apply be cause I was not joining a club, so I chose Part 107. Did I register incorrectly? Are you saying I did not have to go beyond setting up the account?
You didn't need to be "joining a club" to register under Part 336 (which is what you should have selected). When it comes time to renew, you can choose to just register yourself under Part 336.

Reactions: Cybernaut
Thanks for the info. My mistake was in taking the wording literally. Another lesson learned when it comes to dealing with government bureaucrats. I wonder how many people make the same choice that I did due to the wonky wording. It sounds like the OP registered his drone, as well.

I am thinking about taking the test for the Part 107 commercial license, which I assume means I would need to register the drone as I have.

Last edited:
You would think the FAA would word the registration section so that there was no ambiguity, such as:

Part 107: If you have a Commercial Drone Pilot's Certificate . . .

and

Section 336: If you are a hobbyist who earns no income using a drone . . .

You would think the FAA would word the registration section so that there was no ambiguity
Yes, that would make sense. The FAA gains a lot by keeps things vague though. It allows them to easily turn the tables in their favor at anytime.

Reactions: microlinux
I know that. I told him it was his responsibility to do the right thing, and anytime you sell or lose a drone permanently, you should cancel the registration.
If you registered under Part 336, then you should NOT cancel your registration as the drone itself was not "registered". You can just continue to use that same registration number on any future drones you purchase.

If you registered under Part 107, then you can just remove that drone from your account.

I found more registration confusion on the FAA site.

Fly under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft

Fly under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft

To fly under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft you must:
  • Fly for hobby or recreation ONLY
  • Register your model aircraft
  • Fly within visual line-of-sight
  • Follow community-based safety guidelines and fly within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization
  • Fly a drone under 55 lbs. unless certified by a community-based organization
  • Never fly near other aircraft
  • Notify the airport and air traffic control tower prior to flying within 5 miles of an airport*
  • Never fly near emergency response efforts
It doesn't say "Register as a drone user." It says "Register your model aircraft." However, there does not appear to be a method for registering a drone under Section 336.

Is this possibly and old rule?

Is this possibly and old rule?
No, the rule hasn't changed. The registration is for your aircraft either way you go. The difference is that one of the registrations can be used on your entire fleet of SUAVs.

If you want to take a deeper dive, then read FAA-2015-7396. Those are the original rules that were reinstated in December 2017.

Reactions: Cybernaut
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000