DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA Release NEW rules for UAS Operations

As far as your M2P being allowed to fly, you can if you retrofit it. The modules to do that will be inexpensive and easy to install.
We wouldn't be required to retrofit the M2P for another couple of years right?

So a lot of M2P owners will have Mavic 3 or whatever, which are likely to have RID?

So a lot of M2P owners will have Mavic 3 or whatever, which are likely to have RID?
It sounds like 30 months from now, the Summer of 2023. Also, don't rule out the Mavics getting a software upgrade that enables RID.

Well, this morning before flight and during the firmware check, I was informed that there was a firmware update for the Intelligent Controller, so I let it proceed. Later in the day, I just happened to be going through the menus in the controller while uploading footage via USB. I just happened to notice a new menu pick under the "MC Settings" menu with a label of "Remote Identification". Now, I can't swear it wasn't there previously, but I sure don't recall it. Did I just miss it? Anyway, within the "Remote Identification" menu there are four items:

* UUID - On or Off (UUID stands for Universally Unique Identifier)
* Identification and Flight Information - On or Off
* Identification - a character field limited to 10 characters - just the right size for your FAA certificate number
* Flight Information - a character field limited to 90 characters - I foresee this field being used by many to deliver a "special message" to those that are listening in!

Last edited:

Basically 32 months from now.

Well, this morning before flight and during the firmware check, I was informed that there was a firmware update for the Intelligent Controller, so I let it proceed. Later in the day, I just happened to be going through the menus in the controller while uploading footage via USB. I just happened to notice a new menu pick under the "MC Settings" menu with a label of "Remote Identification". Now, I can't swear it wasn't there previously, but I sure don't recall it. Did I just miss it? Anyway, within the "Remote Identification" menu there are four items:

* UUID - On or Off (UUID stands for Universally Unique Identifier)
* Identification and Flight Information - On or Off
* Identification - a character field limited to 10 characters - just the right size for your FAA certificate number
* Flight Information - a character field limited to 90 characters - I foresee this field being used by many to deliver a "special message" to those that are listening in!
This is not the same RID as what the FAA will require. That RID is for what DJI AeroScope (and others) can see in their monitoring equipment.
Odds are this is the system that they’ll update to satisfy then RID rules.

Interesting, and thanks for posting that. I went and perused the Aeroscope docs after reading your post and found this:

AEROSCOPETM Mobile detects UAVs flying within a particular surveillance area.* Aeroscope receives UAV broadcast information in various formats, and then sends the data to the DJI CRYSTALSKYTM monitor, displaying the aircraft type, Home Point, current position, flight speed, and flight height.

So, someone with Aeroscope, or a similar system, can already access some of the same info that FAA RID will require. The major difference, and what most seem to object to, is that anyone with a cell phone will be able to access the FAA RID.

It makes perfect sense that DJI would leverage the existing technology to implement FAA RID, which means that many will not need an external RID module since the hardware is already present.

Reactions: Vic Moss
Interesting, and thanks for posting that. I went and perused the Aeroscope docs after reading your post and found this:

AEROSCOPETM Mobile detects UAVs flying within a particular surveillance area.* Aeroscope receives UAV broadcast information in various formats, and then sends the data to the DJI CRYSTALSKYTM monitor, displaying the aircraft type, Home Point, current position, flight speed, and flight height.

So, someone with Aeroscope, or a similar system, can already access some of the same info that FAA RID will require. The major difference, and what most seem to object to, is that anyone with a cell phone will be able to access the FAA RID.

It makes perfect sense that DJI would leverage the existing technology to implement FAA RID, which means that many will not need an external RID module since the hardware is already present.
Yep.

And AeroScope can display more than that. We were playing with one a couple of years ago that was prototype. We had it on the top of a hotel in Denver. We had an alarm go off and it picked up a drone across town. It showed the above, plus email address.

The guy running it said I couldn’t take a photo of the screen because the email address wasn’t permitted.

Production units have some stuff tuned off. It can all be turned back on.

Reactions: ColoradoDB
As @DanMan32 mentioned, two different things.

As far as your M2P being allowed to fly, you can if you retrofit it. The modules to do that will be inexpensive and easy to install.

And you can continue to fly in Class B, as long as it's during the day. 44809 Recreational Flyers don't have an avenue to get permission to fly at night in controlled airspace. And we can fly 400' above a structure.

Nowadays, 107 pilots have more flexibility than 44809 flyers.

So if you want to fly at night in controlled airspace, and utilize the 400' "bubble", you'll need to get your 107 to fly legally.
Nop no night flights in controlled airspace for me. Just up until sunset is good for me. I also dont need to fly over 400agl because i can't and thanks to some youtubers it looks too ridiculous anyway. Like a snapshot of google maps. So if this retrofit let me enjoy my drone the way i do now, i see no problem..

This is JUST NOW released so details to follow ASAP!

Remote Identification. A good start from DSPA​

New Rules for Ops Over People (& RID) from DSPA​

New Rules for Ops Over People (& RID) – Drone Service Providers Alliance

Nights Ops and Recurrent Training from DSPA​

*Fixed error in duplicate links... sorry*
This amount to a seizure of my property without compensation.

Reactions: Thomas B
Hey everyone,

Reading this with great interest. I spent hours reading the FAA doc, specifically looking for how this will work in remote areas with zero cellular and zero WiFi. For example, if I am off the coast of California shooting migrating whales with my drone, I usually have no connection in any way. Same with shooting in remote, mountainous areas and deep desert locations. So assuming by the time all of this comes to fruition and I, we, everyone has RID compliant drones, I could not find any language that talks about this scenario and how it would work. They mention that it was a big topic of frustration with many during the public response periods, but I just don't see how the drone would be able to fly in this common circumstance and be compliant. In laymen terms, can anyone explain how this scenario is supposed to work? I'm in a remote location. I have zero WiFi. I have zero cellular connectivity. Is the circumstance that I cannot fly?

Joe

Reactions: dmac1 and Matthew R
My review if anyone is interested:

Hey everyone,

Reading this with great interest. I spent hours reading the FAA doc, specifically looking for how this will work in remote areas with zero cellular and zero WiFi. For example, if I am off the coast of California shooting migrating whales with my drone, I usually have no connection in any way. Same with shooting in remote, mountainous areas and deep desert locations. So assuming by the time all of this comes to fruition and I, we, everyone has RID compliant drones, I could not find any language that talks about this scenario and how it would work. They mention that it was a big topic of frustration with many during the public response periods, but I just don't see how the drone would be able to fly in this common circumstance and be compliant. In laymen terms, can anyone explain how this scenario is supposed to work? I'm in a remote location. I have zero WiFi. I have zero cellular connectivity. Is the circumstance that I cannot fly?

Joe
Hi Joe!

With the removal of the internet based RID requirement, there is no reason why you would have that issue at all. RID will not keep you from taking off due to no wifi connection.

Hey everyone,

Joe
When broadcasting the RID, it would act much like an access point, but only to broadcast, not to invite a bidirectional connection. Many IoT devices, such as smart lamps get set up by them acting like an AP that you can see in your list of WiFi around you. It will likely be like that, but not to connect.

It probably will be stretching the WiFi beacon, as it wasn't designed to send data like that, but then lots of protocols get stretched beyond their designed purpose.

Reactions: Kelpfish
Please forgive me for my ignorance, but I don't begin to understand all of these new rules/laws that will go into effect this year about the drones, I have a Mavic 2 pro, what will I need to do to continue to operate or fly my drone? I'm reading that my current model cannot be updated to meet the new RID laws? please explain in Layman's terms, Thank you.
Confused ?

We'll have to wait and see if DJI can and will provide a firmware update for the M2 to provide compliant RID for type 1 (built-in). There's a good chance DJI can and will do it.
If not, then you'll be able to get and attach a module to broadcast RID, much like many have attached strobes. This would put you into type 2 category where you have to fly VLOS since the module can't get your RC position, nor prohibit takeoff for not having RID.

Lastly there's type 3 where the AC itself is not able to be RID compliant and you don't want to get and attach a RID module. You'll only be allowed to fly in designed locations, much like fixed wing RC usually do now. Hopefully community parks will be allowed to be designated.

Reactions: ColoradoDB
Thank you! that really helps me with this new law, I was just looking at some more info about this and I see that the general public will also be able to see the location of the pilot, and that is NOT GOOD! because of those who really hate drones, I remember a time when I first got my drone and I was out flying over the water here in Oakland Ca, and a guy confronted me about how I was invading his privacy when he was out in the park, it really scared me because of how he approached me, so that is a concern that I have, I understand about law enforcement and emergency personnel having access that's ok, but not everyone should be able to know my exact location, the other thing is how much will the module cost?

This amount to a seizure of my property without compensation.
Could you elaborate? There is nothing in the FAA announcement that comes close to mentioning that.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661