DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA should provide labels for drones

Actually there are many towns (at least 3 in my state) who have implemented local ordinances dovetailing FAR 48 requirements. Local LE have approached people flying their drones asking to see exterior registration numbers. Last year I was approached by LE during a commercial real estate shoot. Although the cop was more interested in my drone (he owned a Phantom 3) he did comment that he was glad to see my drone properly identified. Englewood, Colorado.
Interesting as the exterior requirement became effective 3/25/19. That's a lot of activity in a week.

Interesting as the exterior requirement became effective 3/25/19. That's a lot of activity in a week.
The exterior requirement became effective 2/25. These towns adopted the pre 2/25/19 requirement (FAR 48.205(c) )

Here's an idea.

If the FAA is interested in having registered drones display labels on the drone's exterior, the FAA should provide the labels.
They have the data base of registration to facilitate the program. The FAA mails the labels out with instructions as to exactly where they are to be placed. This would eliminate pilots 'accidentally' misrepresenting the registration number, and the uniformity of label appearance and location would help emergency personnel quickly identify the registrant.
To encourage adoption, the label could have a locator chip for pilots to recover lost drones; possibly through the to be revised B4Ufly app. The FAA and others knowing where are drones are in the air is inevitable, anyway, so...
The program would be funded by emergency agency budgets, and the FAA. Being that this is tax payer money, our annoyed neighbors would be paying for the program; unbeknownst to them.

It's a win, win.
You bet they can -- and you can bet that the registration fee will go up to $30.00 or more!

Just go here and pay your $6.99m + S/H and be happy :)

Reactions: BigAl07
Here's an idea.

If the FAA is interested in having registered drones display labels on the drone's exterior, the FAA should provide the labels.
They have the data base of registration to facilitate the program. The FAA mails the labels out with instructions as to exactly where they are to be placed. This would eliminate pilots 'accidentally' misrepresenting the registration number, and the uniformity of label appearance and location would help emergency personnel quickly identify the registrant.
To encourage adoption, the label could have a locator chip for pilots to recover lost drones; possibly through the to be revised B4Ufly app. The FAA and others knowing where are drones are in the air is inevitable, anyway, so...
The program would be funded by emergency agency budgets, and the FAA. Being that this is tax payer money, our annoyed neighbors would be paying for the program; unbeknownst to them.

It's a win, win.
Technically, it is not free. In PA, a car registration is $37 and includes the cost of a standard plate, $11. Specialty plates are more. A title transfer is cheaper if you are supplying a plate from a previous registration.

This is crazy. Those of you who want/think the govt should do everything for you (including something as simple as your hobby) here’s an idea. Why not think for yourself, help yourself, make it cool, make it the way you like it, be creative w/fonts, colors, whatever. Think for yourself and make it yours. Own it, you’ll feel much better about even having to do it when your finished. And it will look so awesome!

Here's an idea.

It's a win, win.
Honestly, I already feel quite filed, resumed, controlled, followed on the internet, on the street, in my tastes, purchases, homes, objects, cars, telephone, in my ideas, opinions, on what I write, on what I think, what I eat, my health card cookies .. etc. etc.

and then to why? each Mavic already has its own identifier and each flight leaves an indelible mark.

we do not make a hobby a torture.

do not take away more space ..

At bottom..

I like flying.

and when I do, I like to think of using intelligence in doing it, without needing someone to give me boundaries.

it is I who decide to fly where there are no problems, I am reasonable because I think, I was born Free.

Italy is a mental state ;-)

The reason they want drones marked on the exterior now is not really for the same reason you have license plates on your car. It's really a matter of not wanting to have to remove anything including a battery should it be utilized as an flying explosive device. In these days, it's not bad thinking on there part if they have a way to contact or trace the owner without treating it as an explosive device. Processing labels and making them would be more costly through the Government and as previously stated by others, it's not wear I want my money going.

Are ya kidding me? Buy a vowel and get a clue. The FAA is not a Kinkos and providing labels doesn’t make the friendly skies any safer.

They changed the number scheme. I contacted the FAA back in Dec 2018 and the reply said -

"On Thu, Dec 13, 2018, 1:02 PM <[email protected] wrote:
Good day,

You may label your drone however you see fit. The FAA requires your label to be visible in the event you misplace your drone.

Thank you for contacting the FAA's Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Support Center.

JSW

Please follow up with any further inquiries at [email protected]. Additional information is also available at Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS)/.
"
I labeled mine "FA-###-###-# . I used a Sharpie.

Joe

Attachments

• UAS_how_to_label_Infographic .pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
It's a win, win.[/QUOTE]
Here's an idea.

It's a win, win.
I just spoke with my FSDO about when they were going to give me my airplane back as they seem to be taking so long what with painting if for me and putting my tail number on. They said it would be ready next Tuesday at 4:00.

Here's an idea.

It's a win, win.

It is an idea! But, makes me kind of smile. Been in the Aviation field for a long over 30 years. Never heard of the FAA paying for the "N" number on the side of any aircraft from the smallest Cessna to the biggest airliner. Wonder what it costs for Cessna, Piper, Beech-craft, or Airlines to have their required "N" on the side of their aircraft.)) Now we flying drones are required to display a registration number in-sight on the side of our aircraft, which can be easily made with a label maker, cost a little time to make the label at a cost of $1. The wanting the FAA to pay for it. Sorry not insulting anyone. The question simply gave me little chuckle.

Three pages...not bad for a subject already discussed to D####.
I think I'll revisit Gatwick, next.

Go to your local office supply store such as Office Depot and purchase a label maker for under $20. You can then place your reg number to comply and also your Co name and your cell number in case your drone is lost & found.P-Touch.jpgPhantom-reg.jpg

This is crazy. Those of you who want/think the govt should do everything for you (including something as simple as your hobby) here’s an idea. Why not think for yourself, help yourself, make it cool, make it the way you like it, be creative w/fonts, colors, whatever. Think for yourself and make it yours. Own it, you’ll feel much better about even having to do it when your finished. And it will look so awesome!
I think you are missing the point.
I do not think they should do everything for me.
I think they should leave this alone.
Identification of the drone on the interior and/or exterior is fallible for multiple reasons, and reeks false sense of security.
Commercially produced drones already have a myriad of identifiers built in through the software and the hardware, so a label is at best redundant, and serves only to keep local officials from bothering the FAA (and/or soliciting help from a foreign state sponsored company - DJI) with mundane routines.
Therefore, if the government is going to make this ridiculous mandate, then they should support it.
That's my point.
It's not about cost. i'm using a piece of electrical tape and a marker...$0.05 all in

I also think that if this is a compliance issue, then the idea of turning it to a boutique of self expression is the wrong approach, and has non compliance written all over it, but you do whatever expresses freedom for you. After all, you are a pilot of the skies, freebird.

thanks for your input

Forgive the repeat of an earlier comment but you can buy or find a friend who has a Brother Label Maker. Was my first order of business after getting my FAA registration.

Reactions: tleedom and BigAl07
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78