DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA should provide labels for drones

Drone on

Reactions
Here's an idea.

If the FAA is interested in having registered drones display labels on the drone's exterior, the FAA should provide the labels.
They have the data base of registration to facilitate the program. The FAA mails the labels out with instructions as to exactly where they are to be placed. This would eliminate pilots 'accidentally' misrepresenting the registration number, and the uniformity of label appearance and location would help emergency personnel quickly identify the registrant.
To encourage adoption, the label could have a locator chip for pilots to recover lost drones; possibly through the to be revised B4Ufly app. The FAA and others knowing where are drones are in the air is inevitable, anyway, so...
The program would be funded by emergency agency budgets, and the FAA. Being that this is tax payer money, our annoyed neighbors would be paying for the program; unbeknownst to them.

It's a win, win.

While I like the ideas you present I’m not certain I want my tax money spent this way.
Though I will also suggest that this would be a solution to the whole drone identification number boondoggle, especially if drone manufacturers wer required to include a chip internally on all drones that let them show up to manned aircraft/air traffic controllers. This latter would shift at least part of the cost to drone purchasers as I feel it should be. I don’t want to spend extra money... just saying.

The FAA has enough to deal with without having to provide labels for sUAV pilots. Just think about how much they have to do with the airline industry for all the different aircraft in the USA !!
Personally I don’t have a problem with paying a few dollars for some labels.
Just my opinion on the subject.

LOL! REALLY? do you think the FAA should pay to put the numbers on all aircraft? like planes and helicopters too? Or just your $1000 toy that you dont want to spring a couple bucks loose to mark it? Dig a sharpie marker out of the drawer and mark it yourself.... :D

Ok heres my opinion.

You get license plates for free here when you register your car. You get a pilots license on paper for free when you pass the test. You get a social security card on paper for free when you get a number.

The government gives out these free, they could give out the registration numbers for free too. The only reason why they probably dont, is because there are so many different drones out there, people will want custom colors, etc.

Reactions: Drgnfli and Smalls
Here's an idea.

If the FAA is interested in having registered drones display labels on the drone's exterior, the FAA should provide the labels.
They have the data base of registration to facilitate the program. The FAA mails the labels out with instructions as to exactly where they are to be placed. This would eliminate pilots 'accidentally' misrepresenting the registration number, and the uniformity of label appearance and location would help emergency personnel quickly identify the registrant.
To encourage adoption, the label could have a locator chip for pilots to recover lost drones; possibly through the to be revised B4Ufly app. The FAA and others knowing where are drones are in the air is inevitable, anyway, so...
The program would be funded by emergency agency budgets, and the FAA. Being that this is tax payer money, our annoyed neighbors would be paying for the program; unbeknownst to them.

It's a win, win.

I’m still a little baffled at how people are seeming to have such problems with the numbering thing. As others have said, people sell them here, or you can use a marker, or do what I did and break out my cheap label maker for the first time in 25 years. That way I could print them any size I wanted and it took 30 seconds (make that 1 minute if you count cutting them to size). One for inside the battery bay and one outside. Along with a “reward if found” notice.

Anyway, given the various registration requirements and the huge number of others (trucking companies, airplane owners, etc.) who could make the same argument, no, I don’t think I want the government to save me $0.02 by making taxpayers pay for a label given the precedent it could set.

Ok heres my opinion.

You get license plates for free here when you register your car. You get a pilots license on paper for free when you pass the test. You get a social security card on paper for free when you get a number.

The government gives out these free, they could give out the registration numbers for free too. The only reason why they probably dont, is because there are so many different drones out there, people will want custom colors, etc.
One difference for the pilot license, car plates, and SSN is that all have already collected money from you before they send a “number”, ....and no one will ever see all the $ they sent to SS (sorry, the latter is one of my pet leaves)

One difference for the pilot license, car plates, and SSN is that all have already collected money from you before they send a “number”, ....and no one will ever see all the $ they sent to SS (sorry, the latter is one of my pet leaves)

Please explain further. Not sure I follow you.

This is perfectly logical, but just seems like having the FAA set up a drone-labeling project sets a dangerous precedent, with minimal benefit to us (and as you say, the current way I can label it as I see fit the way that works best for my aircraft).

Reactions: bentbrent
Please explain further. Not sure I follow you.
Excellent query!
First, I should have said perhaps “drone license”
So consider: you paid SS a percentage of every dollar you ever made and they send you a wallet card on paper, you pay your car registration ($200 - $800/yr in AZ) and they send you a $0.05 sticker for your license plate, and with the pilot license they have already collected large fees for taking the test and then there’s refreshers.... they send an email. I guess my point is that the things listed aren’t really free and some, like SS, are exhobitantly expensive and the user will never reap full benefit of the costs.

Last edited:
Reactions: bentbrent and Elude
Heck NO never ask the government to do something that anyone with common sense can do .
The very thought of asking the government to produce something as simple as a write on label let alone a specific ID type label is beyond comprehension

I have a vinyl cutter a very expensive vinyl cutter so I am covered but if i did not have such a fancy dancy machine i would have wandered down to my local Walmart and bought the simple items below and slapped them on my drone easy peasy. For the simple price of about $3.00 you can make 65 feet of FAA suitable labels and go nuts on every drone you could ever buy.
DON'T LET THE FAA GRAB ANY MORE CONTROL OVER WHAT WE CAN TOTALLY SCREW UP ALL BY OURSELVES
mikemoose55

1551637681297.png1551637709454.png1551637681297.png

Heck NO never ask the government to do something that anyone with common sense can do .
The very thought of asking the government to produce something as simple as a write on label let alone a specific ID type label is beyond comprehension

I have a vinyl cutter a very expensive vinyl cutter so I am covered but if i did not have such a fancy dancy machine i would have wandered down to my local Walmart and bought the simple items below and slapped them on my drone easy peasy. For the simple price of about $3.00 you can make 65 feet of FAA suitable labels and go nuts on every drone you could ever buy.
DON'T LET THE FAA GRAB ANY MORE CONTROL OVER WHAT WE CAN TOTALLY SCREW UP ALL BY OURSELVES
mikemoose55

View attachment 64780View attachment 64781View attachment 64780

Sent you a PM.

Ok heres my opinion.

Not really free. You pay tag fee to renew them and pay property taxes on your vehicle when you register it. So you are paying for the plate, the license, and the registration. You do get your SS card for free, but that's just a piece of paper. But you are paying for FAA registration, so they should be able to send you stickers. I may even support upping the registration costs to $10 just to get free registration stickers in the mail.

Reactions: Thomas B
Reactions: BigAl07
Expecting the FAA to print and send you registration #'s? That's borderline silly.

What if you have multiple aircraft? You want the FAA to hold your hand and send you labels for every aircraft you own/operate?

If the FAA is already bogged down with processing sUAS waivers etc asking them to set up to print and mail registration labels is only going to make it even worse.

Not really free. You pay tag fee to renew them and pay property taxes on your vehicle when you register it. So you are paying for the plate, the license, and the registration. You do get your SS card for free, but that's just a piece of paper. But you are paying for FAA registration, so they should be able to send you stickers. I may even support upping the registration costs to $10 just to get free registration stickers in the mail.

It's all semantics. In this case, free means it's included in the price.

Reg #'s by the FAA would be nice, then you know youre legal.

Did you ever get your racer flying? Where ya been?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31