DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjk15202

Reactions
Forgive my ignorance here, But I had no idea there were rules to flying drones. I was going to buy the Mavic mini for my first drone and now I’m on the fence since I just came across some of the FAA rules. I had no idea. Lol. They don’t seem bad from the few the I read. But I feel like I can’t really fly the drone. I wanted to go to state parks here in PA. And the ones that are close by drones are not allowed. The rules don’t seem bad but maybe I’m overthinking it and paranoid if I go to 450ft I’ll be getting a fine. I was looking forward to going to some state parks. I’ll have to come up with other plans.

Yes, as with most things in life, there's rules. If it's not Mother Nature (who has important rules), it's the FAA!

Just remember, the FAA is here to help. Their old motto was, "We're not happy, until you're not happy!". Their new motto is, "We've upped our standards, now up yours!". :)

Forgive my ignorance here, But I had no idea there were rules to flying drones. I was going to buy the Mavic mini for my first drone and now I’m on the fence since I just came across some of the FAA rules. I had no idea. Lol. They don’t seem bad from the few the I read. But I feel like I can’t really fly the drone. I wanted to go to state parks here in PA. And the ones that are close by drones are not allowed. The rules don’t seem bad but maybe I’m overthinking it and paranoid if I go to 450ft I’ll be getting a fine. I was looking forward to going to some state parks. I’ll have to come up with other plans.

The FAA have given drone pilots a set or rules to follow, but State Parks , National Parks have taken liberties to establish there own rules .
You are much more inclined to have Parks enforce there rules than the FAA fining you for breaking there rules such as going to 450 ft.

Here is how I interpret it. Lest say you go to 450 ft and a wing glider lost control and smashed into your Drone causing a horrific accident.
Even though you never saw him , your Guilty. Most likely you will be prosecuted by everyone involved, FAA /State/Civil law suit not to mention the News.

Take that same Scenario and say your flying at 400 ft and the whole incident changes dramatically. In other words the Laws are for our Protection.
The Same goes with having our 107 permit , that also is for our own protection.

When it comes to the Parks , they just went with the Majority and True Nature Lovers defend the Animals anyway they can so , We see the Trees and they see drones terrifying the Deer , the owl, and drones do one thing that not to many people really think about , they cause people to loose there focus.

Climber hear a drone and there all of sudden there watching the drone and not paying attention.
One of the mods brought up a really good point about drones at weddings, they Steal the Attention of the Rock Stars .

As far as Fines go, there are tens of thousands of posts and very few people have gotten a fine , maybe a hand full of Fines.

There is even a question on the 107 test that if you break the rules of the FAA such as going to 450 ft should you call them and let them no, and the answer is NO.
They will contact you if there was a concern , this really for me put that Attitude of the FAA in perspective .

You will find that the Software /No Fly zones/ Restricted height Limits will stop you from making the really dumb mistakes but the rest is up to you to
just use common sense , because there is no one really judging your every call, just you.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and Float on Water.

Last edited:
Just about any question you may have could be answered here. Just use the search button.
Some information on which aircraft to start with is available also.
One more thing, fly above the trees.

Reactions: pelagic_one
Forgive my ignorance here...

I think it’s great that you posted your question. I’d like to think you care enough to understand the rules and abide by them. I know you’re bummed out by discovering the National Park prohibitions, as many of us are, but please know that there are so many great places to fly anyway. Check our Local and Regional section for Pennsylvania, and you’ll learn about flying spots in your area.

On the other hand, I worry about the ones who buy their first Mavic without trying to understand the rules. Heck, they may not even see our forum. So they go out, and fly wherever they want.

So, good on you for asking the question. Should you buy your Mini or any other model, you‘ll probably stick to the hobby longer by following rules. You’ll also learn that picturesque images can be captured at 390 feet, just as you’d get at 450 feet.

Here’s hoping you get your Mini, and will share your experiences with us. Safe shopping to you...and eventually...safe and happy flying, too!

If you buy a DJI drone..it will take care of a lot of the rules for you. The rules on parks..national, state, regional and city are understandable in some cases and not in others but they must be learned and obeyed.
Learn the location of local airports. I live in a city where the average person has no idea there is a Class D airport located withing the city. Don't be that person.
Like Pelagic says..the images you get below 400 ft are images you can get nowhere's else. Certainly not from an airplane...I've been trying that for more years than I care to count.
That Mini won't be your last drone is the only bad new's I can give you about drones.

The rules for drones are practically changing faster than I change my clothes. Keeping up with the rule changes, is a constant study required to keep out of trouble. New rules in the U.S. should be coming in the next month or two, rules that could make existing drones unairworthy, depending on how the new rule is worded.

Bumper said: '"Just remember, the FAA is here to help. Their old motto was, "We're not happy, until you're not happy!". Their new motto is, "We've upped our standards, now up yours!".'" ROFLMAO

FAA released yesterday 12/28/20 the preliminaries on their indecision for Remote ID, flight over the public, and night flights. The latter two seem firmed up already. Oddly, a light weight Mavic Mini, Category 1, with rotating props is allowed to transit overhead pedestrians (point A to point B transitioning only); but a Mavic Air 2 is not allowed to transition flyover. It too has rotating props that could inflict skin cuts but this is spelled out as not allowed in Categories 2 & 3, as it also exceeds 0.549...9# and >/= 10 ft# collision impact wgt.

Any public/business use drones that dont employ throat cutting props?? The way I read it, only <250g drones will be clear to transit overhead pedestrians.

Publishing of final rules may not come about for 18 months, while they firm up Remote ID details/content. All registered drones will be required to broadcast content message 30 months post publishing the final rules. FAA preliminarily speaks of broadcast via WiFi or Bluetooth. Launch location, aircraft ID (S/N or perhaps FAA registration), flight Alt.

The best aspect I concur with is open air broadcast versus internet subscription profiteering. Bluetooth ?

Since the discussion is going toward new rules... and above info on the new FAA rules is not entirely correct.... To keep it all together, and to keep us from having to close threads on a wholesale basis, please continue this discussion here:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98