DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA

You're fine as-is.
So I finally got a reply from the FAA and this person is saying they I must get pilot certificate if I stay under 107 even if flying for recreation only. Here's what it said on the email I got

At this point I'm done with this. I'm staying under 107

"Part 107: This option is for drone users who Fly for recreation OR commercial use. This option allows owners to use their drone for commercial/profit, but then also use it to fly for fun. Requirements in the right column must be adhered to if registering under Part 107. One of the requirements is to obtain a Remote Pilot Certificate from the FAA prior to operation."

You only need that (107) if you fly for profit. And even then, I have not seen any FAA police driving around checking drone pilots. (Not recommending to skip it if you fly commercially of course). Also, you don't need to plaster the FAA number on the outside like a newb (like I did!), it can be under the battery.

Reactions: MavicNoob79
You only need that (107) if you fly for profit. And even then, I have not seen any FAA police driving around checking drone pilots. (Not recommending to skip it if you fly commercially of course). Also, you don't need to plaster the FAA number on the outside like a newb (like I did!), it can be under the battery.
Yeah I'm only recreational. But I did 107. I hear I'm fine as long as I don't do commercial. And now my FAA email is saying the opposite. So I'm just staying at 107 and flying recreational. And not taking the test

I understand there is an actual test to take for 107 certificate. But you can also register under 107 without actually taking the cert. Which is what I did by mistake.
I then heard about 336. So thought I was in the wrong. I was then told and also heard from another forum member that the FAA told them it's ok to be registered under 107 but not take the test. Just follow the rules.
Then I finally got a reply from the FAA but this guy said if I'm registered under part 107 I MUST go and take the test. He also then told me how to cancel my part 107 and said I can then register under 336. But, I won't get my money back and will need to pay again for 336 and there's no way to transfer the number I have now under part 107 to part 336.

So I decided , screw it. I'll stay part 107 and follow all rules.

I appreciate all the time and help from you guys. It's very apparent even the FAA people don't know all the answers. And like what's already been said, I'm sure I'll be fine because there's no FAA police running all over and checking. And most cops have already been proven to not know all about this stuff either. I'll fly safe like I usually do and follow rules

So are you taking the actual test and getting certified?

Also, what are you planning on doing? Just flying for fun, or using it in your business?

If you're a big youtube star and make lots of money, then the FAA may issue you a warning or something. But... it sounds like you may become the most knowledgeable on this whole FAA thing. So please post up your experience, especially as you take the test and all. Interested in how complicated it is, how expensive it is, all that. Is it common sense safety things, or do you really need to take a course to learn things?

Cool. Yeah, I looked at drone gigs, and I make far more in my day job. Better to just fly for fun!

Any cool places you've flown so far?
The weather has been kind of crap here lately. Also work 50 hours a week and am single father. So I've not gotten the time to go anyplace cool. I'm still practicing to get better with filming. I hope to get out when it's nice on the weekend finally to some nice places. Don't worry I'll definitely share the videos here

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danski_inthe_Sky