DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Facebook Posts Kinda Scares Me

minijoe

Reactions
I was pretty happy with my Mini but after looking at FB posts I get kinda scared to fly. It seems like everyone has a problem with theirs. Am I making to much outta what people are posting?

I was pretty happy with my Mini but after looking at FB posts I get kinda scared to fly. It seems like everyone has a problem with theirs. Am I making to much outta what people are posting?

The Mavic Mini is a capable drone in the hands of a well Seasoned Pilot , the problem is that Most Mini Owners are new to the flying the drone and so any Pilot mistakes they make are going to be magnified by a Crash .

For example : 5 mph winds , you think great , you take it to 400 ft , winds are not 5 mph anymore. Trouble in the horizon, drone drifting, panic, buttons pushed nothing working , why is it not coming back .. ooooooooooooooh crash landing it forced landed when the battery got to low from struggling with the wind and the distance.

Story comes back there were only 5 mph winds and so it goes the tale of the no wind today.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini in the Rain

well after over a hundred flights with mine i am very happy with what it can do
the real issue is learning what it cant do ,and by that i mean know its limitations
it doesnt do well in windy conditions,and because of its size it is much harder to see at distance
for me it compliments my MPP when flying in restricted locations ,such as through woodland

The Mavic Mini is a capable drone in the hands of a well Seasoned Pilot , the problem is that Most Mini Owners are new to the flying the drone and so any Pilot mistakes they make are going to be magnified by a Crash .

For example : 5 mph winds , you think great , you take it to 400 ft , winds are not 5 mph anymore. Trouble in the horizon, drone drifting, panic, buttons pushed nothing working , why is it not coming back .. ooooooooooooooh crash landing it forced landed when the battery got to low from struggling with the wind and the distance.

Story comes back there were only 5 mph winds and so it goes the tale of the no wind today.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini in the Rain
exactly

I understand what you all are saying and I agree with all of you. I understand that most of these pilots are new to this hobby. Most of the problems are pretty easy to fix. I read about and saw a You Tube video about the motor over speed a few days ago. I am watching for that to happen to me. I definitely plan to continue flying my mini and get more comfortable with it.
I quit the hobby a couple years ago because the area I live in is pretty restrictive due to the amount of airports in my area (Ft Worth). Now with some better maps such as Airmaps I can now safely plan flights. Before I was pretty much limited to one local park and quickly got burnt out. I have more options now.
In the past I had a Phantom 3, Yuneec Q500 4K, Spark and Mavic Air. I pretty much kick myself every day for selling them. Especially the Spark and Mavic Air.
From now on I will not take the FB posts so seriously and enjoy my Mini.
Thanks again for all the responses and encouragement.

Definitely install the UAV Forecast app and check it before each flight. Particularly check the wind gusting speeds at various altitudes. You can configure the app to highlight (in red) wind gusting over what you believe to be your m/c's limit.

For the MM I've settled on setting the warning limit to a conservative (for me) 18 mph. The major benefits I've seen are as follows.

o If you're planning to fly outbound into the wind and home with the wind you can probably launch if the wind gusts are a couple of mph over your limit, effectively pushing the limits 'a bit', based on your experience and local knowledge
o If you're planning on flying outbound with the wind and returning against it o_O, well, best of luck with pushing those limits, and catch you later you on the crash/flyaway board! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I think its people just not bein experienced flying drones. Like another poster said, they take off in 5mph winds and go up to 300ft, and all of the sudden its gone. Mine works very well, just keep an eye on conditions

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
From now on I will not take the FB posts so seriously and enjoy my Mini.

I think you need to get it into perspective. Look at how many disaster posts there are from different people - 50 (maybe not that many)? That's got to be a tiny fraction of the number of Minis sold. Probably less than 1%. As others have said, the Mini tends to be bought by people who have no previous experience with drones and haven't taken the time to find out how to fly it safely before starting. I think the Mini is an amazing little drone but strong winds are definitely its greatest enemy. Once you realise this, and understand how wind generally increases and veers with height, you've probably removed more than 80% of the potential issues people have with it. Early versions of the firmware and the Fly app did seem to have a few teething problems but these seem to have been largely resolved now.

My feelings about posting drone flights on Facebook is that they provide people some entertainment while they are stuck at home. I have not had any crash videos but I did post one close call. Fly safe and have fun.

In answer to your question… Yes, you’re making too much out of what people say on Facebook. I agree 100% with what Phantomrain said. I have a couple hundred miles on my mini with no problems and I’m a relatively new pilot. Just be cautious and use your common sense.

social media isn’t the best sample to take any conclusion from! All posts are either the best experiences or the worst experiences with virtually nothing in between.

Well for me most problems of fly always cause not taking warnings to heart. Most errors are pilot error. Take it from I no longer q own my Phantom 3 standard I push my luck to far and crashed. I now own 2 mavic minis. This week end I had lost connection. Reason I had a hill in between myself and my mini. It automatically went into a return to home. Connection came back. Flew to me. That’s was a 13,500 ft flight. Landed with 28 % battery. Eind is a factor I don’t fly over 17mph. Watch speed at higher elevations. Take off into the wind. Use tail wind to come home. Set your RTH to your surroundings It’s a good bird I am happy with it

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charliesunique