Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2 Pro Fairchild Tropical Gardens-Revised

Dale D

Reactions
Site
vimeo.com
Dear Forum members:

I am pleased to re-submit this amended version of my most recent video, Fairchild Tropical Gardens. I was greatly dismayed to see that the initial submission, which you have probably seen, had black bars along the bottom and top of each clip. I spent the entire day today trying to query panel members of the forum and Adobe search and You Tube searches to find the answer. Finally, I called a friend who was familiar with Premiere Pro and he diagnosed the problem immediately. I had recently upgraded Premiere Pro at the request from Adobe. The new upgrade had changed the aspect ratio in the sequence settings! When I re-set the aspec ratio to 16:9, all of the black bars had disappeared!!!! Moral of the story, be very cautious whenever you upgrade your software!!

Please enjoy my latest short video, Fairchild Tropical Gardens, in Coral Gables (Miami), Florida. Again, I used a combination of media, including Nikon DSLR (D750) for the timelapses, and the Mavic 2 Pro DJI drone. Editing down on Adobe Premiere Pro. 3:37 minutes with titles. This is a re-mastered version, with the corrected aspect ratio of 16:9.

Last edited:
Dear Forum members:

I am pleased to re-submit this amended version of my most recent video, Fairchild Tropical Gardens. I was greatly dismayed to see that the initial submission, which you have probably seen, had black bars along the bottom and top of each clip. I spent the entire day today trying to query panel members of the forum and Adobe search and Your Tube search to find the answer. Finally, I called a friend who was familiar with Premiere Pro and he diagnosed the problem immediately. I had recently upgraded Premiere Pro at the request from Adobe. The new upgrade had changed the aspect ratio in the sequence settings! When I re-set the aspec ratio to 16:9, all of the black bars had disappeared!!!! Moral of the story, be very cautious whenever you upgrade your software!!

Please enjoy my latest short video, Fairchild Tropical Gardens, in Coral Gables (Miami), Florida. Again, I used a combination of media, including Nikon DSLR (D750) for the timelapses, and the Mavic 2 Pro DJI drone. Editing down on Adobe Premiere Pro. 3:37 minutes with titles. This is a re-mastered version, with the corrected aspect ratio of 16:9.

Great work Dale. Your video and editing skills are improving with every submission.

One small thing that I did notice. At 19 secs, when you switch scenes (from time lapse to regular vid) the same trees/greens become very noticeably duller. Could you colour grade the footage (of either/both clips) to bring the colours of both scenes closer together?

Dear Forum members:

I am pleased to re-submit this amended version of my most recent video, Fairchild Tropical Gardens. I was greatly dismayed to see that the initial submission, which you have probably seen, had black bars along the bottom and top of each clip. I spent the entire day today trying to query panel members of the forum and Adobe search and Your Tube search to find the answer. Finally, I called a friend who was familiar with Premiere Pro and he diagnosed the problem immediately. I had recently upgraded Premiere Pro at the request from Adobe. The new upgrade had changed the aspect ratio in the sequence settings! When I re-set the aspec ratio to 16:9, all of the black bars had disappeared!!!! Moral of the story, be very cautious whenever you upgrade your software!!

Very nice!

Great work Dale. Your video and editing skills are improving with every submission.

One small thing that I did notice. At 19 secs, when you switch scenes (from time lapse to regular vid) the same trees/greens become very noticeably duller. Could you colour grade the footage (of either/both clips) to bring the colours of both scenes closer together?
Dear Terry:

You are a sharp observer! Yes indeed, I worked, and worked on that transition. I am really disappointed with the color correction abilities of Premiere Pro. I wanted to add more vidid greens and more contrast, and tone down the bright sky. Alas, what you saw was the best I could get out of that software, and unlike Photoshop and Lightroom, there is is no gradient filter to adjust the light of the foreground or the background separately. I have not yet learned about the Lumetri color adjustments. I am just using the standard basic menus on the right side of the screen. My biggest breakthrough with this video was the smooth flying offered to me by my very first use of WAYPOINTS. This was actually a practice session for way points. I pre-programmed this flight the night before at my desk!

Reactions: TerryToast
Dear Forum members:

Glad you got it figured out Dale... well done!

Dear Terry:

You are a sharp observer! Yes indeed, I worked, and worked on that transition. I am really disappointed with the color correction abilities of Premiere Pro. I wanted to add more vidid greens and more contrast, and tone down the bright sky. Alas, what you saw was the best I could get out of that software, and unlike Photoshop and Lightroom, there is is no gradient filter to adjust the light of the foreground or the background separately. I have not yet learned about the Lumetri color adjustments. I am just using the standard basic menus on the right side of the screen. My biggest breakthrough with this video was the smooth flying offered to me by my very first use of WAYPOINTS. This was actually a practice session for way points. I pre-programmed this flight the night before at my desk!
Waypoints! I’m impressed that you’re diving into the advanced features of your drone. Well done.

Another idea that you might want to consider, given that it’s gardens and thus a lot of the beauty is the flowers and close-ups, you could mix some regular (ground level) camera video footage with your drone footage. Assuming you have a decent camera that films 4K video?

Dale, as a newbie myself but a long time user of Premiere, I understand the time and effort we go to make any video look great. Kudos to you for taking your time to film, edit an post the video. Love it.

lease enjoy my latest short video, Fairchild Tropical Gardens, in Coral Gables (Miami), Florida. Again, I used a combination of media, including Nikon DSLR (D750) for the timelapses, and the Mavic 2 Pro DJI drone. Editing down on Adobe Premiere Pro. 3:37 minutes with titles. This is a re-mastered version, with the corrected aspect ratio of 16:9.
Hi Dale,
I like the gardens. Amazing place to walk and shoot videos/photos! video is well done, even if the horizon is a little bit curved ;) Normally that hapends using a very wide angled lens as for example with the Hero when one choose "wide" But as I know the Mavic2 Pro has not such an excesive wide lens...Strange!
cheers Paul

Waypoints! I’m impressed that you’re diving into the advanced features of your drone. Well done.

Another idea that you might want to consider, given that it’s gardens and thus a lot of the beauty is the flowers and close-ups, you could mix some regular (ground level) camera video footage with your drone footage. Assuming you have a decent camera that films 4K video?
My other cameras that are video capable are the iPhoneProMax which has amazing 4K video, and of course, my Osmo Action which is mostly a wide angle camera and not suitable for close ups. You might be surprised to learn that this garden, which houses the largest collection of rare palms in the world, has very few flowers, except in the green house, which maintains a high humidity all the time.

I was scared as s...to use Way Points before the new Waypoints 2.0 came out. Now it is a piece of cake. I designed the entire flight on a map on my iPad the day before the shoot! Then stored it, and loaded it up for the day of the shoot. Really amazing.

Hi Dale,
The aerial shots look a little washed out. If you boost the contrast and increase the saturation you should be able to match your Nikon shots more closely.

There is an option to add an S-curve contrast adjustment, which will increase the contrast in the mid to black and mid to highlight regions without affecting the mid-range levels.

The horizon is distorted quite a bit. I’m not certain but I believe there is an option in Premiere to adjust lens distortion with a setting for the DJI cameras. Hopefully someone who has Premiere installed will be able to advise.

Looking forward to getting home to our palm trees and warm weather. Had enough of the Autumn and colder weather in the UK.

Hi Dale,
The aerial shots look a little washed out. If you boost the contrast and increase the saturation you should be able to match your Nikon shots more closely.

There is an option to add an S-curve contrast adjustment, which will increase the contrast in the mid to black and mid to highlight regions without affecting the mid-range levels.

The horizon is distorted quite a bit. I’m not certain but I believe there is an option in Premiere to adjust lens distortion with a setting for the DJI cameras. Hopefully someone who has Premiere installed will be able to advise.

Looking forward to getting home to our palm trees and warm weather. Had enough of the Autumn and colder weather in the UK.
Do you know where, in Premiere, I might find that S curve, and the DJI camera settings?

Do you know where, in Premiere, I might find that S curve, and the DJI camera settings?
I found the curve!!!! Here it is and the color I was able to produce. Nice a dark green! Now if I can find the DJI Mavic 2 Pro settings!!!Premiere Curve.jpg

Reactions: SkyeHigh
I found the curve!!!! Here it is and the color I was able to produce. Nice a dark green! Now if I can find the DJI Mavic 2 Pro settings!!!View attachment 116408
I FOUND IT!!!!! Here is a screen shot. It was in Video Pre-sets. see screen grab and how I have straightened the horizon.Effects>Presets>DJI>4K. then go to key frames on the left side, curvature>adjust curvature!!!Lens distortion in Premiere.jpg

I FOUND IT!!!!! Here is a screen shot. It was in Video Pre-sets. see screen grab and how I have straightened the horizon.Effects>Presets>DJI>4K. then go to key frames on the left side, curvature>adjust curvature!!!View attachment 116412

That was quick!

Here’s a link to colour grading in Premiere. You’ll never look back now you can adjust your video just like your DSLR and Mavic stills.

I FOUND IT!!!!! Here is a screen shot. It was in Video Pre-sets. see screen grab and how I have straightened the horizon.Effects>Presets>DJI>4K. then go to key frames on the left side, curvature>adjust curvature!!!View attachment 116412

I can see another render session coming up. [emoji3]

Last edited:
I can see another tender session coming up. [emoji3]
Sorry, by jove, what is a tender session? (is that something I would seek in a spa?). That tutorial you sent to me was great. I am going to study it and learn it as best as possible. Many thanks for it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrefu