DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fairchild Tropical Gardens Coral Gables Florida

Dale D

Reactions
Site
vimeo.com
This is a 2:14 minute film (without end titles) photographed at Coral Gables (Miami) Florida's Fairchild Tropical Gardens. Fairchild is one of the oldest and most beautiful tropical gardens in the world and is only 30 seconds from my doorstep! Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden is an 83-acre botanic garden with extensive collections of rare tropical plants including palms, cycads, flowering trees, and vines.

This film was made with the use of the following techniques; (1) Nikon D750 DSLR and 28-300mm,f/3.5-5.6 lens with 6x ND filter, Mavic 2 Pro DJI drone with 16x ND filter, Dynamic Precision Motion timelapse slider with Sapphire three axis pan-tilt head, Osmo Action, Osmo Pocket, and Osmo Mobile cameras. The processing was done with Adobe Premiere Pro, Lightroom, and LRTimelapse5 software, and iMAC 1600GB 2400MHz DDR4 ram.

Nice work as usual Dale! Been there many times. It is beautiful. :)

Was looking forward to watching the video- but now it says Video does not exist? Can you post a new link? Thanks.

Sorry about that, Geekser!

I noticed a typographical error in the title and re-did it and took down the first one. Here it is. Thanks for letting me know. Amazingly, this video of about 2 minutes without end titles took me 2 weeks of filming, multiple visits to the site, and two days of editing. Hope you enjoy it. All comments positive and negative always welcomed.

Reactions: sikspy and Geekser
This is a 2:14 minute film (without end titles) photographed at Coral Gables (Miami) Florida's Fairchild Tropical Gardens. Fairchild is one of the oldest and most beautiful tropical gardens in the world and is only 30 seconds from my doorstep! Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden is an 83-acre botanic garden with extensive collections of rare tropical plants including palms, cycads, flowering trees, and vines.

This film was made with the use of the following techniques; (1) Nikon D750 DSLR and 28-300mm,f/3.5-5.6 lens with 6x ND filter, Mavic 2 Pro DJI drone with 16x ND filter, Dynamic Precision Motion timelapse slider with Sapphire three axis pan-tilt head, Osmo Action, Osmo Pocket, and Osmo Mobile cameras. The processing was done with Adobe Premiere Pro, Lightroom, and LRTimelapse5 software, and iMAC 1600GB 2400MHz DDR4 ram.

Sorry about that guys. I found a typographical error in the title and changed it and reposted. Here is the video now

Reactions: Hauptmann
Cool, I have always wanted to fly there but am hesitant about the rules since it is a preservation.
I have never asked permission but I have been observed many times there by the staff who drive by in their golf carts and they see me flying.

Thanks for the response, I have always wanted to fly there but am so paranoid of being disturbed by annoyances of any kind.
I forgot to mention that I have been a paying MEMBER for years. I live so close that we often go there. The membership supports the gardens. I get a little sticky tag to put on my shirt while I am there to prove to all staff I am a member. The gardens are very large, as you know. 83 acres so it would not be difficult to get isolated for a flight.

Reactions: Romulus Archibald
Thanks for the response, I have always wanted to fly there but am so paranoid of being disturbed by annoyances of any kind.
youll get over that eventually.

its your camera. do people bother other people who are using DSLR's... nah, thats not a thing.

so when somebody asks, just tell them you are using a flying camera lol, dont use the word drone... hit them with the "sUAS" or "UAV"... they'll probably just leave.

tell them you have it registered. that usually squashes all concern.

youll get over that eventually.

its your camera. do people bother other people who are using DSLR's... nah, thats not a thing.

so when somebody asks, just tell them you are using a flying camera lol, dont use the word drone... hit them with the "sUAS" or "UAV"... they'll probably just leave.

tell them you have it registered. that usually squashes all concern.

I call as little attention as possible. I dress like a schlub, no yellow jacket, no officialdom, I hide in shadows of the palms while flying. Before I take off I case the area like a bank robber and wait until the golf cart has passed by, or if there are strollers in the garden, I wait until they are out of sight. I do my flight rapidly ( I don't need long "takes" for my videos 3-5 seconds are sufficient), so I get my materials and I pack up and get out of there. In one worth- STEALTH.

Last edited:
I call as little attention as possible. I dress like a schlub, no yellow jacket, no officialdom, I hide in shadows of the palms while flying. Before I take off I case the area like a bank robber and wait until the golf cart has passed by, or if there are strollers in the garden, I wait until they are out of sight. I do my flight rapidly ( I don't need long "takes" for my videos 3-5 decodes are sufficient), so I get my materials and I pack up and get out of there. In one worth- STEALTH.
you should have seen me today. i circled like a hawk from nearby, until it was time to strike! then i swooped in (or up should i say lol) got my shots, and got out!

stealth does definitely win every time, but im not worried about somebody coming up to me if it happens, is all i was saying.

Thanks for the heads up! Defintely the reassurance I needed.

We'll have to plan ahead to make sure we don't run in to each other in the air then!
No worries about that
I have really exhausted the subject for now
I was practicing my moves in prep for upcoming Montana vacation
Best to get there at opening time
Behind visitors center are nice lakes and short walk
Longer walk to gorgeous Montgomery overlook where they have all the weddings
If lucky you can score a golf cart ride wearing mask and $5 tip to driver and call for pickup when finished
But with COVID precautions they a a bit more antsy about the golf cart
Thanks for the heads up! Defintely the reassurance I needed.

We'll have to plan ahead to make sure we don't run in to each other in the air then!
Correction- it's called the BAILY Overlook, not Montgomery Overlook. Here is an old video (Aug. 2018) when I really didn't know how to fly or edit.
It really is a long walk in this heat so get a ride if possible.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kinskajitka