DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Faulty controller: DJI support. They want what?!

Reactions
Hi all,

This is more of a rant than anything else, I'm afraid.

I've just had a really odd request from DJI support, and it's a first for me. I've never heard anything so weird.

A couple of days ago, I decided to take my new Mavic 2 Zoom for a fly since the weather was good. However, I was doomed to failure because the remote control would not connect to my phone in any way. I tried everything I could think of, but the phone would only charge, and was not able to recognise the presence of the drone at all. The usual pop-up window, asking me if I wished to start the DJI Go or DJI Go 4 app (I fly a Phantom 3 Pro with work) would just not appear.

Once I got home, I decided to try out some diagnostics. I found that switching the cable did not help. In case it was a problem with the phone, I tried connecting the phone to my DJI Spark using DJI Go 4, and it worked perfectly. I tried switching cables, and I tried using another tablet with the faulty remote controller. Nothing worked, but since I had the equipment to switch out everything- the cables, the android device and even the controller, I could narrow it down to the Mavic 2 controller.

So, I got in touch with DJI email support. They asked me to refresh my firmware (without giving any instructions on how to do this) and...to record a video of the fault happening. Huh. I've never even heard of that being a thing before. According to DJI, I'm supposed to somehow juggle both a phone and a tablet at the same time in order to record a fault that does not need recording since it is possible to describe it easily. I think this is simply a delay tactic, but a very annoying one.

Anyway, I've replied, explaining that I cannot refresh the firmware, since my phone, my tablet and my Windows PC (running DJI assistant) will not recognise the existence of the controller. I've also said that I'm just plain not recording a video since it's pretty much impossible to do so. I've also mentioned the Consumer Rights Act (2015) and explained that it's their legal duty to provide a replacement or refund, not mine to prove the fault.

Either way, if they don't provide a reasonable level of assistance, I'll just return the entire drone in its box and get a replacement from the original vendor.

Anyway, has anyone else been asked to provide video evidence of a computer fault? This is a new one on me!

I'd go ahead and return it to place of purchase and get a new one anyway. No sense jumping through hoops when you have better options.

Hi all,

This is more of a rant than anything else, I'm afraid.

I've just had a really odd request from DJI support, and it's a first for me. I've never heard anything so weird.

A couple of days ago, I decided to take my new Mavic 2 Zoom for a fly since the weather was good. However, I was doomed to failure because the remote control would not connect to my phone in any way. I tried everything I could think of, but the phone would only charge, and was not able to recognise the presence of the drone at all. The usual pop-up window, asking me if I wished to start the DJI Go or DJI Go 4 app (I fly a Phantom 3 Pro with work) would just not appear.

Once I got home, I decided to try out some diagnostics. I found that switching the cable did not help. In case it was a problem with the phone, I tried connecting the phone to my DJI Spark using DJI Go 4, and it worked perfectly. I tried switching cables, and I tried using another tablet with the faulty remote controller. Nothing worked, but since I had the equipment to switch out everything- the cables, the android device and even the controller, I could narrow it down to the Mavic 2 controller.

So, I got in touch with DJI email support. They asked me to refresh my firmware (without giving any instructions on how to do this) and...to record a video of the fault happening. Huh. I've never even heard of that being a thing before. According to DJI, I'm supposed to somehow juggle both a phone and a tablet at the same time in order to record a fault that does not need recording since it is possible to describe it easily. I think this is simply a delay tactic, but a very annoying one.

Anyway, I've replied, explaining that I cannot refresh the firmware, since my phone, my tablet and my Windows PC (running DJI assistant) will not recognise the existence of the controller. I've also said that I'm just plain not recording a video since it's pretty much impossible to do so. I've also mentioned the Consumer Rights Act (2015) and explained that it's their legal duty to provide a replacement or refund, not mine to prove the fault.

Either way, if they don't provide a reasonable level of assistance, I'll just return the entire drone in its box and get a replacement from the original vendor.

Anyway, has anyone else been asked to provide video evidence of a computer fault? This is a new one on me!
I’m confused.....

You appear to be in the UK. If so, and you purchased the Drone from a vendor then DJI have absolutely nothing to do with any warranty claim. It would be the original vendor that must deal with a faulty item.
In the first six months the onus isn’t even on you to prove the issue/fault.
If your Vendor is trying to say, it needs to be sent to DJI etc for repair he is breaking the law. The contract of sale was with the vendor - you have no contract with DJI.
English consumer law is different to many other parts of the world and affords very good levels of protection.

That being said, and especially since your dispute is ongoing, I would respectfully draw your attention to the forum rules....

Manufacturer/Distributor/Vendor and Customer Disputes

This forum is not intended to be a mechanism for people to vent frustrations about manufacturers, distributors or sales from private parties. Please settle your differences with the seller, manufacturer and distributors through other means but not through our community.

Reactions: charliej
Oops, sorry I was unaware of that rule. I thought it might be simpler to get a replacement controller than try to replace the entire item. I was just puzzled by being asked to provide video evidence. That's a new one on me! Anyway, I guess I will have to bench this thread it if's against forum rules.

Oops, sorry I was unaware of that rule. I thought it might be simpler to get a replacement controller than try to replace the entire item. I was just puzzled by being asked to provide video evidence. That's a new one on me! Anyway, I guess I will have to bench this thread it if's against forum rules.
Many UK vendors (especially online ones) will try and wriggle and say you need to send an item back or contact the manufacturer directly to get something repaired or replaced.
If you point out they are breaking the law and will go to trading standards and/or a solicitor they will cave in and replace the offending item.

You're fine asking questions etc but some people come here trying to "persuade the membership" to jump in and act on their behalf or to just simply paint a one sided picture. Thus far your post is fine and isn't a problem on this forum.

The Editor has given some very solid advice on how to proceed from here.

Keep us posted and GOOD LUCK!!

Allen

Oh I wouldn't expect anyone else to fight my battles. I'll let you all know how it gets on. I've reminded DJI of the UK law regarding consumer rights, and explained why I can't/won't provide video evidence.

If I don't get success I'll go back to the shop I bought it from. As I said, I'm just curious if other people have also been asked to send videos to DJI. It's such an odd request!

Reactions: BigAl07
Oh I wouldn't expect anyone else to fight my battles. I'll let you all know how it gets on. I've reminded DJI of the UK law regarding consumer rights, and explained why I can't/won't provide video evidence.

If I don't get success I'll go back to the shop I bought it from. As I said, I'm just curious if other people have also been asked to send videos to DJI. It's such an odd request!
Just to be clear here. DJI have no obligation to repair or replace your item.
Nor are they contractually obligated to do so under English Law.

The contract exists between you and the original vendor - not DJI.
Although it can be argued a vicarious liability exists with the manufacturer a court of law would rule that DJI never sold you the item and would only be called upon to answer a claim for injury or death caused by faulty product or their negligence, but even then would need to be joined as a third party to any action concerning the actual sale.

Take up your dispute with your vendor (who legally must rectify the issue). It will be the route of least resistance and you will be protected by law.

Last edited:
The Editor Is correct, this is a common mistake frequently covered in the PC mag I subscribe to.

They state your contract is with the vendor you purchased from not the manufacturer.

They also state that if you have any dealings with the manufacturer bypassing the vendor in the process it gives the vendor a way out of giving you any help.

Always contact the vendor first concerning any problems, it is up to them to sort things out with the manufacturer.

Reactions: Inspirephil
Very helpful as I also have problems connecting phone to controller. The UK law advice has been illuminating and welcomed. Thank you

Right update time!

I have to admit after their initial and very weird 'we need a video' request, they were fine to deal with. They have not asked me to perform any further tests and sent me a free packing label to ship it via UPS to the Netherlands for repair.

@Elmo_Blimey Have you tried searching in settings for usb preferences and manually switching on usb tethering?

I did, yes- while halfway up a mountain :D. My phone is a OnePlus 6, one of the supported DJI models, but there is a little wrinkle in using it with a drone- you have to make sure you turn OTG on. I tested it after coming back down with the same cable and my Spark remote, and it worked fine. The Mavic remote would also not connect to DJI Assistant on my PC, so yep, I diagnose a broken USB processing board.

To the technical problem rather than legal.
Were you happening to use the bottom full sized USB port on the remote to connect to your phone?

If yes, did you still have the included short cable plugged into the side port of the RC?

If yes again, that's your issue. The short cable connected to the side port disables data on the bottom port, even if the other end of the short cable is not plugged into anything. Bottom port will still provide power to the mobile.

You might fault DJI support for not pointing this out, but even the best techs can forget even the simplest solutions (years ago I forgot to have event logs checked for an Exchange problem), and after 13 replies, nobody here pointed it out either.

Hi Danman,

This is excellent advice, and I did try it, after some googling :). The thing is, it had worked perfectly just a few days earlier and I had not upgraded or changed any firmware on my drone, the remote control or my phone since it had last worked. So it does seem that in this case, it's an early product failure, although I did notice that a lot of people have had issues with that side port in the remote, and it's certainly very good advice to check it.

Some more news on this!

I've just heard from DJI, they have located the fault and are now fixing it for free. I should get my controller back in two to three days :D.

I have to say that even though my first email enquiry was a bit...oddly handled...the process of sending it in to be repaired and getting it returned has (so far) been flawless. Props to the DJI folks in the Netherlands!

Reactions: Thomas B
Final news on this: My remote controller has just returned and was fixed for free.

Well...sort of fixed. It's actually a slightly different model of controller (the metal grill on the top has a slightly different design), so I guess they replaced it with a refurbed one. Either way, it works and I am happy.

Reactions: Thomas B
I just read this post.. Kudos for the OP for posting the actual follow-up rather than leave us all hanging on how it came out. Some people get kinda lazy after their drone is back up in the air.Thanks for that.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78