DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FCC mode/fcc boost mode

RetiredInFL

Very Large Member
Premium Pilot
Reactions
At the risk of sounding like a dummy newbie (which I am :) ) what is FCC MODE and FCC BOOST MODE and who do I or don’t I need them?

At the risk of sounding like a dummy newbie (which I am :) ) what is FCC MODE and FCC BOOST MODE and who do I or don’t I need them?
FCC mode is the standard radio control transmission power available in the United States and maybe a few other places. If you are flying in Florida this is your “normal.” You have FCC already.

Our friends in other places around the globe unfortunately have the power of their RC throttled down due to local regulations regarding radio transmission power from consumer devices. This significantly reduces the distance they can fly before losing signal.

“FCC Boost“, also known more accurately as just “Boost” mode is when we hack the remote controller to use it’s maximum transmission power.

See DJI uses off the self components for its drones when possible. This makes good business sense, why develop something from scratch that already exists for less money than you could make it yourself. But the off the self components may not come in exactly the power that you need. Therefore, get the more powerful version and use software to dial it back with software to meet local regulations.

By hacking the software we can remove this software limit and use the full power potential of the hardware.

If you have the option on your drone which you didn’t mention which one it is, I don’t see why you’d ever want to use anything but boost. In fact many of us put additional external amplifiers and antennas on our remotes to boost the power even further.

The benefit is you can fly further with a better more stable connection to the drone.

Reactions: veegh
FCC mode is the standard radio control transmission power available in the United States and maybe a few other places. If you are flying in Florida this is your “normal.” You have FCC already.

Our friends in other places around the globe unfortunately have the power of their RC throttled down due to local regulations regarding radio transmission power from consumer devices. This significantly reduces the distance they can fly before losing signal.

“FCC Boost“, also known more accurately as just “Boost” mode is when we hack the remote controller to use it’s maximum transmission power.

See DJI uses off the self components for its drones when possible. This makes good business sense, why develop something from scratch that already exists for less money than you could make it yourself. But the off the self components may not come in exactly the power that you need. Therefore, get the more powerful version and use software to dial it back with software to meet local regulations.

By hacking the software we can remove this software limit and use the full power potential of the hardware.

If you have the option on your drone which you didn’t mention which one it is, I don’t see why you’d ever want to use anything but boost. In fact many of us put additional external amplifiers and antennas on our remotes to boost the power even further.

The benefit is you can fly further with a better more stable connection to the drone.

Thanks .. I have a Mavic Platinum Pro. After reading around I pretty much figured FCC Mode was what you described but the FCC BOOST is what I really didn't understand. Guess I'll do some more Googling and searching in the hardware mods section. Thanks!

Thanks .. I have a Mavic Platinum Pro. After reading around I pretty much figured FCC Mode was what you described but the FCC BOOST is what I really didn't understand. Guess I'll do some more Googling and searching in the hardware mods section. Thanks!
Here is where this information originally comes from

The method for doing this is different now but if you want to find where it came about from this is where you’ll find that information

Hello!
On this topic, can using the fcc mode boost cause overheating of the components of the drone and control radio?
Is it safe to keep enabled by default?

Thank you.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Electrakill21