DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FCC mode in CE area

Can anyone confirm that the FCC-trick still works? I mean doing the actual wifi region-change. I mean not just you guys who still get the choice to change back and can cancel.

The thing is I've tried this quite a few times now, with different methods following all the videos and tutorials, but I still don't get it to switch to FCC. I can see that the fake gps works on the phone and in google maps, but when I start the DJI app it doesn't ask me to switch region, and when I start and connect the drone it still shows 13 channels.

So, is it time to accept that DJI has "fixed" this, or am I just stupid?

Did it on my MA yesterday with latest everything... Why, because I used my new tablet and muscle memory got the better of me and I pressed ok.

Plugged the phone back in, did the do, and then plugged the tab back in and hey presto.

Reactions: bremsly
I'm not sure how they can fix it to not work to be honest...the drone, or rather the app, should be able to detect if and when it's in a new geography so that it can operate to the local restrictions - I can't see them disabling that?

So your efforts are falling apart at the first hurdle then? You're firing up Fake GPS, setting a US location and checking that in Google Maps it shows the fake location by the sound of it - all with the DJI app and drone turned off? And still not getting a location change request when you fire the drone and app up (with Fake GPS still running)?

I'm not sure how they can fix it to not work to be honest...the drone, or rather the app, should be able to detect if and when it's in a new geography so that it can operate to the local restrictions - I can't see them disabling that?

So your efforts are falling apart at the first hurdle then? You're firing up Fake GPS, setting a US location and checking that in Google Maps it shows the fake location by the sound of it - all with the DJI app and drone turned off? And still not getting a location change request when you fire the drone and app up (with Fake GPS still running)?

I couldn't describe it better, that's exactly what's happening. Of course I've made sure to be in flight mode and I even tried deleting the whole DJI app and reinstalling after activating the fake gps. What's weird is that even though Google map shows that I'm in the US, the map in the DJI app shows my exact location in Europe.
(EDIT: Maybe that's not weird. I guess that map shows the AC´s location, not the phones'... )

I even tried putting the drone in the oven, as somebody mentioned earlier LOL :D

You're not doing it in WiFi with just the phone are you?You need it connected to the controller....?

If you can put up with the accent and the fact it's a bit long winded, this video isn't bad...

You're not doing it in WiFi with just the phone are you?You need it connected to the controller....?

If you can put up with the accent and the fact it's a bit long winded, this video isn't bad...

Finally, it worked! Thank you for giving me the hope I needed to keep going. :)

I was doing it with the RC and I had seen that exact video too, among many other.

But what I finally tried was to turn the DJI app wifi into custom mode and chose a 2.4 channel (instead of the 5.8 that had been chosen by the auto mode).
EDIT: This turned out to not likely having been the issue.

I shut off the drone and app and did the whole procedure, and voila! The change region prompt showed up and now everything seems to be working as it should be.

I'm of course not a 100% sure this was the issue, but it sure seems like it. It is however surprising that it hasn't been mentioned in any of the videos or forum posts I've seen.

EDIT: Wanted to figure this out so I did it all again and I think I finally know what happened. My phones' wifi wasn't switched off when I powered up the drone. Since I removed the data from the DJI app (which is probably not necessary), the wifi was needed to sign in to DJI when starting the app back up. What I did the last time was I switched the wifi off Before starting the drone, and then it all worked according to the instructions. So flight mode and no wifi is the trick for that first startup after changing the location with fake gps.

Last edited:
I'm not sure that was the key to be honest - mines in FCC and I always have it in auto mode but hey, you did it!!

You're right, it wasn't the key! See my edit to my last post. :)

Seems like the DJI app uses the phone's wifi for location and that overrides the fake gps location. So wifi needs to be switched off when powering up the drone.

But hey, thank you so much for the help!

Last edited:
You're right, it wasn't the key! See my edit to my last post. :)

Seems like the DJI app uses the phone's wifi for location and that overrides the fake gps location. So wifi needs to be switched off when powering up the drone.

But hey, thank you so much for the help!

Ah ok...if you look back to my original description on the previous page you'll see that I said you need to turn all location services off on your phone, not just GPS, everything. It's not WiFi per se that's the issue, it's that you've got stuff like letting Google see your location from your web activities etc.. I have all that crap permanently disabled.

Can anyone confirm that the FCC-trick still works? I mean doing the actual wifi region-change. I mean not just you guys who still get the choice to change back and can cancel.

The thing is I've tried this quite a few times now, with different methods following all the videos and tutorials, but I still don't get it to switch to FCC. I can see that the fake gps works on the phone and in google maps, but when I start the DJI app it doesn't ask me to switch region, and when I start and connect the drone it still shows 13 channels.

So, is it time to accept that DJI has "fixed" this, or am I just stupid?
Well, all I can say is that I’m now running DJI Go 4.2.21 and did several tests (power on & off) and each time I got the WiFi region change option, hit cancel and stayed in FCC. I THEN DID 2 batteries worth of flying and was in FCC. So I guess you’ve answered your own question :p:D

Reactions: Minijohnjc
Ah ok...if you look back to my original description on the previous page you'll see that I said you need to turn all location services off on your phone, not just GPS, everything. It's not WiFi per se that's the issue, it's that you've got stuff like letting Google see your location from your web activities etc.. I have all that crap permanently disabled.
I don’t turn anything off on my phone and it works for me

I don’t turn anything off on my phone and it works for me

Yeah, I've never had to fiddle with anything either, never turn off WiFi/Data/Location/Anything, Don't do anything special with the Mavic, just do it..... Works fine every time, done it in the house, and out in the field.

So not sure, perhaps Android version? only ever done it with 8.x.x. I'll try it with the tab next time as that's on 7.1.1 but can't see why that would affect it as long as not 6.x.x (as that all sorts of 'features' in the Fake Location stuff)

Yeah, I've never had to fiddle with anything either, never turn off WiFi/Data/Location/Anything, Don't do anything special with the Mavic, just do it.. fine every time, done it in the house, and out in the field.

So not sure, perhaps Android version? only ever done it with 8.x.x. I'll try it with the tab next time as that's on 7.1.1 but can't see why that would affect it as long as not 6.x.x (as that all sorts of 'features' in the Fake Location stuff)

What you say makes complete sense of course because if the phone is under the control of Fake GPS then location services and GPS shouldn't have any effect. I've looked at the detailed write up for a couple of these apps though and they both say you can leave GPS on but you need to turn other location services off.

But it didn't work for me..I'm on Android 7 but no idea what difference that makes. Tried numerous times until I turned off WiFi, location services and GPS and bingo.

Oh well.

If you have WiFi on when making mod and area change, it's doesen't affect at all, i have WiFi on when i made a mod.

Last edited:
I did not turn off anything either, just use fakeGSP.
Open google maps and make 100% sure it shows your fake location on the map, or else it will not work.

What is the current state about autoswitching to CE mode when using Autopilot or Litchi?
Last thing I‘ve read was, autoswitching only happens on iOS not on Android.
And you can stay in FCC mode on iOS if you take off and land with the GO4 app and inbetween switch to Autopilot or Litchi.
Can anyone confirm this?

Never tried it on Litchi must say, although bought it, not really used it yet, want to go somewhere nice and open to play with it

Hi guys does anyone know if this hack still works with the latest update. I bought an air this weekend in the UK and want to change to fcc. I have followed the videos online but when I get asked to change wlan setting it looks like the ok is greyed out and the cancel is in blue. This is to accept the change too fcc not decline it going back to ce. If I press ok nothing happens and I still show the have 13 channels meaning I’m still in CE, any help is appreciated

Yeah still works fine here, did it earlier today in fact, and managed a 2ish mile flight without any signal loss whatsoever. Was in a good (ie very low wifi interference area) shots from it are in my latest video going up soon.

Yep, works for me. You need to follow the video VERY carefully (I take it you’re using a borrowed android device?)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
themass31