DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fear of crashing your drone

On one of my first flights I was flying low along a river aiming to capture a sudden drop (imagine a waterfall about three feet high).
I went to reverse in order to get a second shot but had not got used to the controller properly, so watched as my drone descended dangerously close to the water. Luckily, I managed to stop in time, but I nearly needed new underwear.
Also nearly flew into a skip while seeing how fast sport mode actually was. Again, I managed to stop in time, but I am so careful with it now.

As a relative newbie with only around 25 flights I fly with appropriate fear, some anxiety, but with a lot of joy. The ratio of joy to fear/anxiety improves with every flight but I hope I never loose all of the fear because that can lead to overconfidence. Pushing the envelope without caution from appropriate fear is when mistakes and potential accidents happen.

As a relative newbie with only around 25 flights I fly with appropriate fear, some anxiety, but with a lot of joy. The ratio of joy to fear/anxiety improves with every flight but I hope I never loose all of the fear because that can lead to overconfidence. Pushing the envelope without caution from appropriate fear is when mistakes and potential accidents happen.

I hear you...My feelings to a T

I am always flying with a bit of FEAR + Joy

I have about the same amount of flights as you and each time is like the FIRST

The Adrenaline kicks in and i am in the ZONE

as i have said TOO many times here (but i will say it again) I fly in the NYC limits...you throw a rock and you will hit 2 people (the rock would bounce off the first person and then (a bit sofly) the other

It is always on my mind...IF i fly to far out of the park i fly at,i am in fear of it falling down with people..LITERALLY EVERYWHERE !

Dead serious...no exaggeration...THAT many people..ALWAYS..Everywhere

So far no problems...have not crashed..

IF and when...i hope it is over a NO PEOPLE ALLOWED area...in my DREAMS !

as i have said TOO many times here (but i will say it again) I fly in the NYC limits...you throw a rock and you will hit 2 people (the rock would bounce off the first person and then (a bit sofly) the other

I can relate to that problem. Living in a densely populated area does not allow much opportunity to fly with freedom and hone one’s skills. I really envy pilots who have the luxury of living in places with easy access to open expanses and scenic landscape. Being able to Fly without worrying about buildings, people’s privacy and no-fly zones must be a liberating feeling.

Reactions: swings16 and mnis
I have only flown my Air a dozen times. What strikes me is how dependable it is. If I am uncertain as to what to do next, I just let go of the sticks and figure it out. I have only had one episode where panic set in. It was shortly after Christmas, sunny but windy, and pretty chilly. I was flying late in the afternoon and the glare from the sun was miserable. I was maybe 400 yards out, but could not figure out which way I was headed (the glare made my Galaxy S9 very hard to see). Then the high wind warning popped up on the screen. I thought to myself, "Is this it? Two flights and it will be a goner?" I hit the RTH button but nothing happened. True panic set it. I then pressed and held it, and sure enough, the soothing voice of the controller lady called out "returning home". I was never more relieved than when I could hear it approaching and in wonder watched it land right next to me in the parking lot where it took off from.

Lesson from that episode was to make myself much more familiar with every aspect of the controller.

Reactions: Megalodrone
I started out with a Phantom 3 Pro I crashed it several times trying risky stuff, or not properly gauging it's proximity to things like trees. I sent it in for repairs and bought another P3P while it was being fixed. I crashed that one a couple of times for the same dumb reasons and had to get that one repaired. When the Mavic Pro came out, I decided to get one, mostly because it's easy to transport. I sold one of the P3Ps and got a Mavic Pro Platinum. I must have learned my lesson, because I haven't crashed it once since I got it a year ago. I've gotten much more comfortable and less apprehensive with time. I've figured out that I don't have to be in tight places to get good videos or photos. I don't fly the P3P much anymore and considered selling it. I decided to keep it, because it's worth more as a back up and alternative platform, than what I'd get for it. The main thing is experience and respect for immovable objects.

I can relate to that problem. Living in a densely populated area does not allow much opportunity to fly with freedom and hone one’s skills. I really envy pilots who have the luxury of living in places with easy access to open expanses and scenic landscape. Being able to Fly without worrying about buildings, people’s privacy and no-fly zones must be a liberating feeling.

I hear you..Say it AGAIN...Say it Again

so true...you nailed it

Don't know where you are at but you have a similar circumstance

Another problem is having a CONSCIENCE

I do not want to hurt anyone...i don't want to invade their space

Nice to hear ...still people out there that give thought to consequences of their actions !

YES

Reactions: LazyBird
I started my RC flying career with a Blade 450 3D (a CP helicopter). Compared to these beasts (and mine was quite easy to fly compared to others) a drone is really simple and straight forward to fly. So I had no fear. My heart started to race only once I had a connection loss because of a castle between me and the Mavic. The signal went from best to loss within a second. But RTH engaged and the Mavic came back into signal reach.

I fly a Mavic Pro and agree with most comments however I have lost my drone once going way up above the clouds in pretty windy weather
The drone never returned unfortunately however the following day tracked it from the GPS and found it around 3 miles away totally undamaged other than my pride the day prior
I become s lot more confident after that episode as now I’m more happy with the knowledge it was pilot error being me and always recoverable with a little sensible tracking I now fly more confident and get a lot more enjoyment my advise it just go for it guys

Posts in the thread and numerous other pilot accounts point to one simple undeniable fact, one cannot fast-track learning and experience. It’s a notch by notch process and takes time.

I've spent a lot of time researching incidents where other people have crashed and/or lost their drones. That information allowed me to gain a deep understanding of how DJI drones work and what I should do in order to prevent similar situations with my drones. I've compiled that information and made it shareable in the guide below. Perhaps it will be helpful for you too.

Prevent a Crash or Flyaway with Your DJI Drone (The Complete Guide)

Gday from Downunder.
Thanks for giving us access to the great guide.
Would it be possible to allow us to download it or is it copyright?
TIA
Stuart.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman