DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Feeling Like A Criminal when flying...

I try to find beautiful areas with nice nature (rare in the Netherlands), where it is legal to fly (even rarer), where there are not too many people around (impossible combination). The latter mainly because it is already so crowded here, I don't want to disturb too many people with the annoyance of a drone flying around their heads. It is difficult to find these places, but the plus side is that I have never come across people who were really being @ssholes towards me. I guess the people who disliked the presence of the drone kept to themselves so far, and the only people approaching me were the ones interested. I always try to make them part of the experience by showing them what it looks like from above and chat a bit. It can be annoying though especially when you need all the battery time you have to take the shots you want. Still, I always feel like I am "a criminal" in the respect that I might bother other people with what I am doing. So @Droniac , I understand how you feel! Nothing like a childhood trauma, just raised a bit too sensitive towards trying to not be an (Mod Removed Language):-D

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: SkiProiii
I try to find beautiful areas with nice nature (rare in the Netherlands), where it is legal to fly (even rarer), where there are not too many people around (impossible combination). The latter mainly because it is already so crowded here, I don't want to disturb too many people with the annoyance of a drone flying around their heads. It is difficult to find these places, but the plus side is that I have never come across people who were really being @ssholes towards me. I guess the people who disliked the presence of the drone kept to themselves so far, and the only people approaching me were the ones interested. I always try to make them part of the experience by showing them what it looks like from above and chat a bit. It can be annoying though especially when you need all the battery time you have to take the shots you want. Still, I always feel like I am "a criminal" in the respect that I might bother other people with what I am doing. So @Droniac , I understand how you feel! Nothing like a childhood trauma, just raised a bit too sensitive towards trying to not be an @sshole... :-D
Being unobtrusive should not make you feel like a criminal, but make you feel like a respectable citizen. To me it sounds like you are a good ambassador for the hobby/business by giving a positive interaction with those who do approach you.

eah, I did something like that once. Had a tablet and tripod with an amplifyer. It looked like I was conducting serious oerations or something. The police were called within 15 minutes to find out what I was doing. I frightened some of the condo tenants nearby. I left. Didn't want too get a ticket for disturbing the peace.
What the (Mod Removed Language)is wrong with people where they call the cops before having a simple conversation? Especially considering that there's a non zero chance that any encounter with the cops can end with your death.

Luckily, I've yet to have a confrontational experience with anyone, most people are just curious or don't say anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
then, find a tree with shade? brighten your screen? i think there are all sorts of alternatives. but flying from inside car seems very irresponsible to me.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu