DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Feeling Like A Criminal when flying...

Are you using an antenna with extended wiring to place on the roof of your car? I can't get a signal if i sit in my car.

No , I have used both the Standard Controller : Smart Controller and the Plus Controller and the signal has always been fine.

Try this : Get you Signal and Sats before you enter into the car, than tell me how much of that you loose.

I have flown all the Drones from inside the Car , however there may be some differences in each car / truck

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and Land on the Water.

Reactions: Droniac
Our drone group in NJ flies very early morning missions. We usually meet at 6:30AM or whenever the sunrise is happening. You will be amazed how empty most areas are between 6 and 8am. Wherever you go you will have most of the place to yourself. Maybe a few early people who are out for a walk. We are in a group so safety is not usually an issue. Solo by yourself might be a concern that early. We just like the fact that no one is around that time of day.

The best time to fly somewhere busy is before and after it rains. Just about everyone is gone and opens a nice window for a easy peaceful flight if you cannot get up early. lol

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and Land on the Water.

I have and use a bright green vest that says "FAA Licensed Drone Pilot". Got it from Amazon and it cuts down 90% of the "what you doing" questions. But there is always that one guy that has to ask. You see him on TV commercials a lot, Captain Obvious.
That’s where I got my FAA sweatshirt and it’s made a significant difference in the way people approach me. I try to educate so they can have something say on a positive note about drones and drone pilots. Godspeed. (Captain obvious ?)

Sometimes when I fly my drone I feel like a criminal even thou i'm doing nothing wrong.....
I have my remote and tablet and at times I look up at the sky and people walking by have no idea what i'm doing....I feel i look suspicious to them....
I guess thats just one of the anxieties about flying a drone.
"Da plane, boss, da plane", if they ask.

I got into this hobby in large part because of seeing a guy flying his drone, and going over to watch, and chat with him.

People are people. Some are curious and just want to see what you are doing and simply asking. Most people I encounter when flying - very few and far between when doing waterfalls and out where few people venture - are simply curious about drones and if you "show" them some of the cool things on your screen - I get a far different reaction (not the bad kind). They are like - SO COOL! WOW! Not had anyone try to bust my kahuna's over it - YET! I'm sure it's coming.

Education is a good thing and if we as a community speak to others about the hobby / job - the more they understand what is real and the BS they are typically fed. Yes, there will always be the ( Mod Removed Language)types - yet, like bad drone pilots - they are a small minority from what I've encountered flying all over the US.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone who flies a drone is an ambassador for the drone industry. Our interaction with the public reflects on all of us. I'd recommend everyone who flies to get a part 107 cert to get familiar with all the things they DON'T know. It just makes you more aware as a pilot. I wear a green vest with FAA cerified on the back... thus marking us as an operator. I'm friendly and will answer questions from people around me.

That could be...I'm a vet....I only feel that way when i'm flying around people who have no idea what i'm doing....
I live three blocks away from where George Floyd died and i think everyones much more paranoid about each other and what their doing these days unless you live in a cave or in the mountains somewhere.
I see you live in Canada....
Living in Canada is a much better place than USA....
I remember when I used to go to Canada when there was no passport needed,,,all you had to do is tell them where you were going and how long your stay would be...
I wish the USA would become more like Canada....Keep the trash out.
not Sure what you mean when you say Canada is keeping the trash out,but trust me,we have more than our share of problems. What we do have is (finally) a somewhat clear and quite free set of rules governing drone flights. I fly my mini2 around my City quite often and can count on one hand the number of times anybody has bothered to speak to me. I think it is quite “Canadian“ (for the most part) for people to mind their own business. So flying Here has been in my experience ,quite pleasant.

We have a worm farm with a really pretty pond and grounds. I asked permission of the owner and after explaining that I wanted to because it was beautiful he said sure (he had never heard of such a thing. I even gave him a disk with the pictures I took and he was very happy.

Sometimes when I fly my drone I feel like a criminal even thou i'm doing nothing wrong.....
I have my remote and tablet and at times I look up at the sky and people walking by have no idea what i'm doing....I feel i look suspicious to them....
Can't say I ever gave (Mod Removed Language)ever, but with the way things are going in the US of A, everything will be outlawed anyway, so enjoy your new found life of crime.

• Wow
I'd recommend everyone who flies to get a part 107 cert to get familiar with all the things they DON'T know. It just makes you more aware as a pilot.
^ This. When I first started flying, I felt a little bit like I was bound to be stopped or questioned with every flight. After learning all the 107 content and passing the test, I found myself much more confident and know that I am operating legally whenever I fly. Someone still might question you, but at least you’ll be informed and educated, and have a license to back you up.

Try flying from inside the Car , you will find there is much less anxiety and your flights will be much more focused.

I went thru a period a couple years ago , where just carrying a back pack or a black case made me very self conscious as we were on high alert for terrorist. I feel you .

The Car helped a lot and really became my go to when at all possible

Phantomarain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic Air 2 /S in the Rain and Land on the water.
but what of VLOS? i never get that far away where i cannot see my MINI. but, if you are in the car, impossible to see it, no matter the distance or altitude, unless directly in front of you.

but what of VLOS? i never get that far away where i cannot see my MINI. but, if you are in the car, impossible to see it, no matter the distance or altitude, unless directly in front of you.

I fly 100% legal- but fly like I used to smoke weed as a paranoid kid. Plan for a quiet time during the week, walk in casual with the drone hidden, be discreet and have a good look around before lighting up, make it a quick blast, pack up quick and be gone before the cops show up. Keeping a low profile has kept me out of trouble and hassle free for 50+ years.

not Sure what you mean when you say Canada is keeping the trash out,but trust me,we have more than our share of problems. What we do have is (finally) a somewhat clear and quite free set of rules governing drone flights. I fly my mini2 around my City quite often and can count on one hand the number of times anybody has bothered to speak to me. I think it is quite “Canadian“ (for the most part) for people to mind their own business. So flying Here has been in my experience ,quite pleasant.
I cant help but have your six on this. I appreciate you standing up to be heard. Touched a nerve in me a bit. I figured my perception must be off. Godspeed

Just wear a green safety vest and they'll think you're "official" and will pay no attention. Some on here spring for vests with FAA warnings and drone pilot warnings, etc. I just wear a plain old construction vest and this makes me blend right in - hiding in plain sight.

D

I fly 100% legal- but fly like I used to smoke weed as a paranoid kid. Plan for a quiet time during the week, walk in casual with the drone hidden, be discreet and have a good look around before lighting up, make it a quick blast, pack up quick and be gone before the cops show up. Keeping a low profile has kept me out of trouble and hassle free for 50+ years.
That’s hysterical. More likely because I can relate to your story. Keep up the clandestine work. Godspeed

I guess I just have that... I just dont give a (Mod Removed Language) I am out doing my Job...

However, flying from inside a vehicle, like a car, decreases your situational awareness. It can also affect your VLOS. When I am doing commercial work in an urban area I will fly the drone over and around my Point of Interest, to get the shots I need, but I might be across the street or 2 buildings down, standing near some trees or in spot where I am hard to find.

Out-of-Plain-Sight.jpg

I used to feel like that. Now I don't really care.
It also depends on where you are flying.

In a park, it's curiosity.
Around buildings and houses I think people do get suss

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851