DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

"Field Charging Unit".

Sassy

Reactions
Drone Valley advertised a "Field Charging Unit" that allowed you to charge 4 batteries at once plus the controller and Iphone etc. When I ordered it, Drone Valley had decided not to carry it due to high shipping charges from the manufacturer and out to the customer. I am looking for a multi-charger for use in the field. Does anyone have a suggestion. I've googled and have not found one like the one Rick advertised at Drone Valley

I haven't tried this yet, but I would think that one could use a voltage inverter using the standard DJI charger?

Reactions: Rambler22
How “field” are you going? Near a car or on foot?

If on foot, best to just use extra batteries, if in car- use a charger but put one of these in front of it so your charging unit will have continuous 13.9v power from the car battery or battery bank, regardless of if your engine is running or not and it will give you use over a wider range of input voltages:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AW1JLI8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_dQuECbWZEEE1E

Reactions: Sassy

If on foot, best to just use extra batteries, if in car- use a charger but put one of these in front of it so your charging unit will have continuous 13.9v power from the car battery or battery bank, regardless of if your engine is running or not and it will give you use over a wider range of input voltages:

Thanks for the link. None of the current 12 volt car chargers for my mp2 will work without this step up transformer. Just be sure to monitor your car battery voltage so that you don’t get stranded with a dead battery.

Thanks for the link. None of the current 12 volt car chargers for my mp2 will work without this step up transformer. Just be sure to monitor your car battery voltage so that you don’t get stranded with a dead battery.

Very good point. I have a dual battery setip for this very reason- the auxiliary battery only powers auxiliaries (camp lights, computer and chargers), and the main only powers the engine. A Blue Seas switching regulator keeps rhe auxiliary battery charged when the engine is running, and keeps the auxiliary battery isolated from the main battery in use:

SI-ACR Automatic Charging Relay - 12/24V DC 120A - Blue Sea Systems

Reactions: TR Ganey
Very good point. I have a dual battery setip for this very reason- the auxiliary battery only powers auxiliaries (camp lights, computer and chargers), and the main only powers the engine. A Blue Seas switching regulator keeps rhe auxiliary battery charged when the engine is running, and keeps the auxiliary battery isolated from the main battery in use:

SI-ACR Automatic Charging Relay - 12/24V DC 120A - Blue Sea Systems

Smart man! I have dual batteries in my diesel truck but they are not isolated as it requires both to start my truck. I monitor voltage using a USB charger that has a voltage readout.

Reactions: Sassy
I also have a portable “field charging” unit utilizing ebike batteries as the power source pictured below.
a6f2bd4762440bc38dca2273012d5dd2.jpg

Smart man! I have dual batteries in my diesel truck but they are not isolated as it requires both to start my truck. I monitor voltage using a USB charger that has a voltage readout.

There’s a Blue seas remote switching regulator that lets you select 12v for aux “house” power and 24v for starting- its not cheap but may be what you want... I will try to find a link for you.

Good suggestion.Am I correct that you have used it often enough to determine if it is not harmful to the DJI battery?I have a portable jump starter(battery).Could it also be used with that to charge a dJI battery?

Good suggestion.Am I correct that you have used it often enough to determine if it is not harmful to the DJI battery?I have a portable jump starter(battery).Could it also be used with that to charge a dJI battery?

The transformer only regulates power from the car battery and alternator going to the DJI 12v charger, so no, it wont harm the FJI battery. Ive used it for my computers and camera battery chargers too. No issues. Just to be sure all is well, always check the volt comming out of rhe transformer before plugging it into anything, and especially if uou suspect it was damaged somehow. It should be around 13.9v.

My wish list includes DJI producing a charger like the one they make for the Spark... charges batt in the bird and two others plus the charger stores power to charge all again without connecting to electrical source and it is a great travel device for short trips due to the protection it offers as well as USB ports to charge accessories. I hate carrying a tangle of cords as we have to now.

Last edited:
The transformer only regulates power from the car battery and alternator going to the DJI 12v charger, so no, it wont harm the FJI battery. Ive used it for my computers and camera battery chargers too. No issues. Just to be sure all is well, always check the volt comming out of rhe transformer before plugging it into anything, and especially if uou suspect it was damaged somehow. It should be around 13.9v.
AMann-Thanks kindly for the quick reply.

Try Colorado drones, I have a few of their packs and I preordered one for my Mavic2.

Can you charge the charger pack and drone batteries at the same time? How many charges do you get on the M2?

This pack charges everything at the same time. I think the specs say 3 to 5 charges , but to date I have only done 2 charges on a outing. since I have 3 batteries that gave me almost 2 hours flight time. I believe the charging estimate is based off of the batteries having 20-30% charge left when placed in the charger. It will also depend on the temperature of your operating environment when using. They work great for me though.

smatree mavic 2 pro portable charging station - Bing video

Reactions: lolo780
Coloradodronechargers.com has a system that is in a case that will charge multi batteries at the same time along with the controller and some other usb devices
53BA8E87-B9E1-4857-B263-F1CB8ABD9BF8.png18C1985B-4BEB-4E00-8A17-E5D35DADC49A.png
53BA8E87-B9E1-4857-B263-F1CB8ABD9BF8.png18C1985B-4BEB-4E00-8A17-E5D35DADC49A.png

I’m sure I did this wrong, sorry guys

So the portable jump starter could be used as a charging source with the step up voltage inverter?Or if close to the car I can use the car battery with the step up and have the portable jump starter in case car won't start?

Reactions: AMann
So the portable jump starter could be used as a charging source with the step up voltage inverter?Or if close to the car I can use the car battery with the step up and have the portable jump starter in case car won't start?

Yes. How many Ah is the jump starter?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oshgeo