DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fight with a strong interference signal from TV Tower

Proffy

Reactions
It was my worst flight at all times. ))) Flying around and near TV Tower, face the drone with strong signal interference and keep losing signal over and over. When I try to film ascending close to the tower it reminds me Don Quichotte story )))) Anyway I got enough footage to compile a small movie with tallest TV Tower in Europe! Enjoy!

Thought yey would be on diff freq? Could have been worse. It could have fried the drone or just made it drop out of the sky?

Here's some aerial photos:

image1.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8701.jpg
    IMG_8701.jpg
    770 KB · Views: 9
  • Wow
Reactions: W2EJ and Gindra
IMG_8701.jpg

It was my worst flight at all times. ))) Flying around and near TV Tower, face the drone with strong signal interference and keep losing signal over and over. When I try to film ascending close to the tower it reminds me Don Quichotte story )))) Anyway I got enough footage to compile a small movie with tallest TV Tower in Europe! Enjoy!

I think in spite of the issues you were having this video is simply stunning. That tower is absolutely beautiful. I’m not sure I’d want my studios directly under it like that but is just amazing and you should be very proud of your work.

In fact there is a you really great YouTuber named Ken Heron. Look him up for TNL Thursday Night Live and send him the URL for your video. If he likes it he’ll show it as well. Could be video of the week and you’ll win a set of Freewell Lens Filters for any device you have to make your videos even better. Just a beautiful tower and perfectly shown as well. Why don’t we have towers like this in the U.S.?

Thanks for sharing it

• Love
Reactions: Proffy
Thought yey would be on diff freq? Could have been worse. It could have fried the drone or just made it drop out of the sky?

I didn't think they can fried it up. When the drone loses signal it start cruising to home point

I think in spite of the issues you were having this video is simply stunning. That tower is absolutely beautiful. I’m not sure I’d want my studios directly under it like that but is just amazing and you should be very proud of your work.

In fact there is a you really great YouTuber named Ken Heron. Look him up for TNL Thursday Night Live and send him the URL for your video. If he likes it he’ll show it as well. Could be video of the week and you’ll win a set of Freewell Lens Filters for any device you have to make your videos even better. Just a beautiful tower and perfectly shown as well. Why don’t we have towers like this in the U.S.?

Thanks for sharing it

Thank You for the valuable feedback and for advice! I already contacted Ken, will see on Thursday of he interested. :) Thanks again!

@harle83 Thanks for advice! :) Ken put this into his show! :) Here's a link -

That is the weirdest thing I can think of. I just recently used my Mavic 2 Pro to shoot footage of a TV tower out in Georgia and never had any issues. The antennas on the top of the tower are pumping out way more energy (>1 MW) than any cell tower does. The drone was around 10-15 feet from the structure during the ascent.

It is true, however, that powerful antennas can create EMI with the drone's electronics, but I don't know the EM flux levels which can become disruptive to the drone. Many professional drone models eg DJI Matrice series are EM hardened for use in both antenna and power line inspections.

• Haha
Reactions: Proffy
That is the weirdest thing I can think of. I just recently used my Mavic 2 Pro to shoot footage of a TV tower out in Georgia and never had any issues. The antennas on the top of the tower are pumping out way more energy (>1 MW) than any cell tower does. The drone was around 10-15 feet from the structure during the ascent.

It is true, however, that powerful antennas can create EMI with the drone's electronics, but I don't know the EM flux levels which can become disruptive to the drone. Many professional drone models eg DJI Matrice series are EM hardened for use in both antenna and power line inspections.

This isn't a TV TOWER :)))) It's just a TV Antenna. Here how the thing approximately looks inside every "leg" of TV Tower (actually that's why they covered :) ) Also it got tons of mobile translators on it.
Cables2-1_1.jpg

Of course its not like this. It's worst. ))) But If You think those doesn't do EMI you're totally wrong. Anyways, if you still have any doubts - head out to the nearest (active) radar spot and try to fly near those:
irbenes-lokators-ventspils-radiologijas-latvia-travel.jpg

If you'll don't loose your drone, or at least doesn't get any EMI problems, I will eat my hat. :)

Here's a capture of the Antenna which have much more EMI the you where filming.
Anyways its clear and nice. Just a bad comparing mate. Try to flight near the REAL EMI stuff. :) Have a great day!

This isn't a TV TOWER :)))) It's just a TV Antenna. Here how the thing approximately looks inside every "leg" of TV Tower (actually that's why they covered :) ) Also it got tons of mobile translators on it.
Cables2-1_1.jpg

Of course its not like this. It's worst. ))) But If You think those doesn't do EMI you're totally wrong. Anyways, if you still have any doubts - head out to the nearest (active) radar spot and try to fly near those:
irbenes-lokators-ventspils-radiologijas-latvia-travel.jpg

If you'll don't loose your drone, or at least doesn't get any EMI problems, I will eat my hat. :)

Here's a capture of the Antenna which have much more EMI the you where filming.
Anyways its clear and nice. Just a bad comparing mate. Try to flight near the REAL EMI stuff. :) Have a great day!

No actually that is a tower. The antennas used for transmitting TV broadcasts are up near the top and are visible in the last minute or so of the video. And no, I don’t recall saying that there is no such thing as EMI coming off the tower; I’m just not sure what level of EM flux would be strong enough to start causing problems with a drone like A Mavic 2.

Last edited:
No actually that is a tower. The antennas used for transmitting TV broadcasts are up near the top and are visible in the last minute or so of the video. And no, I don’t recall saying that there is no such thing as EMI coming off the tower; I’m just not sure what level of EM flux would be strong enough to start causing problems with a drone like A Mavic 2.

Dunno but MA1 always catch EMI from a nearest Radars or Towers :-/

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan