DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

File Type/File Size

caleb1

Reactions
When looking at some videos from my mavic pro, I am noticing that a 2.1 GB MOV video is 7 minutes long and a 2.6 GB MP4 video is 5 minutes long.

I'm a windows user, so MP4 is a format that's a little more native to my operating system. I can open MOV files, it's just if I use windows I feel better about MP4, but maybe since it makes this much of a size difference I should use MOV...

Anyone else notice this? For windows users like me that have noticed this do you continue shooting in MP4 or MOV?

Thanks for any input on this.

I FILM WITH Mp4 all the time now. It just seems to make everything work better. But I didn't think about file size.
I am currently trying to figure out how to get a specific flight log to submit to the group for analysis of a possible problem. A lot of operating this equipment seems to be hit and miss for an old guy like me. Good Luck!

When looking at some videos from my mavic pro, I am noticing that a 2.1 GB MOV video is 7 minutes long and a 2.6 GB MP4 video is 5 minutes long.

I'm a windows user, so MP4 is a format that's a little more native to my operating system. I can open MOV files, it's just if I use windows I feel better about MP4, but maybe since it makes this much of a size difference I should use MOV...

Anyone else notice this? For windows users like me that have noticed this do you continue shooting in MP4 or MOV?

Thanks for any input on this.
If you have a look at online data, it appears that the .mp4 and .mov file types are much the same - as they both compress the data and use the MPEG-4 codec. I think the only real difference is that .mov is pretty much standard for Mac's, whereas .mp4 is more a standard of the Windows based media players.
Since you are a windows user, then MP4 is your 'standard' mode.

Reactions: caleb1
Thanks for the input everyone. I will use MOV as the file size is smaller. It was harder to open MOV files on windows 7 and older, but now that I am on windows 10 it has much more compatibility for MOV files.

Are you testing with the same video? If not, then your results are skewed since compression can vary due to content more than wrapper type.

Reactions: caleb1
Are you testing with the same video? If not, then your results are skewed since compression can vary due to content more than wrapper type.
Your probably right. I will do a new test with similar videos from the same place with same settings.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dozerdan