DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

video saving problem

Rio634

Reactions
I record a 10 min flight video and end up with 3 mp4 videos . I am using the recommended 512 sd card . I have never had this problem before using mov. Why does it stop and start again after recording for just over 3 min?

I believe it has to do with file size - this post may explain what you are seeing:

How big are each of those 3 files?

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
Is there a maximum permissible file size, what size are the segments of each video? lol beaten to it by a second or so.

Reactions: PeterPatrick
I record a 10 min flight video and end up with 3 mp4 videos . I am using the recommended 512 sd card . I have never had this problem before using mov. Why does it stop and start again after recording for just over 3 min?
There is a filesize limit of approx 3.7GB.
This applies whether you record in MP4 or MOV formats.
There is no way around it.
You can have longer file segments by shooting at a lower resolution or frame rate.

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
There is a filesize limit of approx 3.7GB.
This applies whether you record in MP4 or MOV formats.
There is no way around it.
You can have longer file segments by shooting at a lower resolution or frame rate.
I will run trials with different settings.I have 12 min mov videos on my Mavic Pro Platinum.

I will run trials with different settings.I have 12 min mov videos on my Mavic Pro Platinum.

The higher the resolution, the larger the files will be. If you are shooting at 4k/60fps the file will be significantly larger than a 1080p video.

You can easily determine if this is the cause by looking at the 3 files you have on your card already. If they are near 4GB, you have your answer.

The higher the resolution, the larger the files will be. If you are shooting at 4k/60fps the file will be significantly larger than a 1080p video.

You can easily determine if this is the cause by looking at the 3 files you have on your card already. If they are near 4GB, you have your answer.
You are correct .The files are all just around the 3,600,000 KB range . How do I lower the resolution?

How do I lower the resolution?
The first think to look at would be the frame rate you are using.
If it's 60 frames/sec, that makes a big difference ,, drop that to something between 25 and 30 fps.

You are correct .The files are all just around the 3,600,000 KB range . How do I lower the resolution?
Hi Meta4! I would reconsider lowering the resolution. You will be sacrificing picture quality for the sake of having smaller file sizes. As Kilrah mentioned above, the files are seamlessly merged. It's common for me to record a 20 minute flight and come home with 5 video files (or more). I'm assuming you are using some kind of video editing software on your computer to make final movies, if so, just 'drag & drop' them on the timeline and you will have flawless transitions from one file to the next. On my big screen TV I can TOTALLY notice the drop from 4K to 1080p. Personally, I can't stand it. This is all just my opinion. Mike

I'm assuming you are using some kind of video editing software on your computer to make final movies
You are assuming that I do a lot of video, but I hardly shoot any.
I was simply answering the OP's question and you should note that the first thing I suggested for him was to check his frame rate.

I'm not aware of framerate changing the bitrate on DJI aircraft, but maybe the M3E is different.
A little testing with a Mavic 3 shows that reducing the framerate does reduce the filesize.
But only 10% ... not as much as I had assumed.

I haven't had the need for editing in the past with small file sizes. What software are you using ?

So reducing resolution would be the way to have segments go for longer.
What resolution is the camera set on?

Here's how you check and change it:
i-DtLSgjd-M.jpg

The video settings are shown in the bottom right.
This is showing 5.1K 30 fps

i-kxKthZ4-M.jpg

To change reduce the resolution, tap the settings and slide the top line away from 5.1K to 4K and see how that goes.
You can do a test shot on your desy without any need to start the motors.

Last edited:
I haven't had the need for editing in the past with small file sizes. What software are you using ?
I don't shoot video.
But if you previously didn't have many 3.7GB file segments, you must have been shooting a lower resolution that 4K.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehj147