DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video time limit?

RedfishStan

Reactions
I'm flying a mini 3 pro and just recently started playing with video. If I try to do a longer shoot I end up with multiple 5 min videos. Does it automatically stop and restart every 5 min or is there a way to do a longer video? Thanks Stan

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
this is how it works on all the drones, there is no way to change that as far as I know. It spits the files to make them smaller likely to edit easier .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

Last edited:
Reactions: michaeldallen1
Does it automatically stop and restart every 5 min
No, but the video file will be automatically split into separate files every 4 GB.

is there a way to do a longer video?
It will take longer to reach the 4 GB max size if you shoot lower quality video. However, most people prefer keeping the quality high and joining the videos with some type of video editor after flying. And you might have to do that either way depending on the length of your videos.

Reactions: EyesWideShut
Reactions: michaeldallen1
It is a hard limit set by Microsoft’s FAT file format that DJI continues to use. Using exFAT would allow much longer files to be recorded. Why DJI has not changed to this newer format is a mystery to me. It has been this way since the early Phantoms.

FAT32 is the format recommended if the card is 32GB or smaller, cards larger then 32GB are formatted in XFAT and their file size is a function controlled by DJI. I use a 128GB card and they are always formatted XFAT. The individual file sizes are still 4GB.

Last edited:
Reactions: mobilehomer

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1