DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My Air 3 batteries are just not good enough

Amitee

Reactions
I dont understand how my Air 3 batteries (all three) dont last more than 25-28 mins EVER!. I recently did a static timelapse. Basically flew it up some 100 metres and started the timelapse. No time spent in waypoint selection, no movement, and it wasnt even windy that morning. And I thought at least this would get me close to the advertised range of 35-40 mins. But that was not to be. At about 18 mins it began warning me of low battery with about 20% left. I pushed it to about 6% since I would have to just lower it in a straight line to me and it wouldnt have needed anymore than 2% for that. At the end the result was roughly 23 mins; in a situation where I thought I would actually get higher range than my average of 25-28 mins. How can all three batteries be faulty? What am I doing wrong here? Or is this normal?

For comparison, this is how DJI said they achieved a 46 minute flight time in the Air 3 specs:

"Measured with DJI Air 3 flying at a constant speed of 28.8 kph in a windless environment at sea level, with APAS off, AirSense off, camera parameters set to 1080p/24fps, video mode off, and from 100% battery level until 0%. Data is for reference only. Always pay attention to reminders in the app during your flight."

Best I have gotten is 35 minutes , and like you that is straight up on hover. I would say that time lapse is taking a lot out of the battery most likely.

Try to test it on its own flight without the Time Lapse an see if you dont do a little better.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

For the info. Hovering burn more battery than cruising.

Last edited:
Cursing increases battery life?
I'll have to try that! LOL!
This is how DJI tested. By cruising the wind create some lift on the drone and the motors does not work as hard as hovering because of this and this is why burn less battery. Is not a joke. We are not talking about a big difference. We are probably talking about 45 seconds to 1 minute difference. There are tons of factors. Weather, wind speed, humidity ect..

Last edited:
This is how DJI tested. By cursing the wind create some lift on the drone and the motors does not work as hard as hovering because of this and this is why burn less battery. Is not a joke. We are not talking about a big difference. We are probably talking about 45 seconds to 1 minute difference. There are tons of factors. Weather, wind speed, humidity ect..
I'll definitely be swearing at the wind on my next flight, to squeeze out that extra 45 seconds of flight time! LOL!

"Do not curse the wind. If you see that which is displeasing to you then say: 'O Allah, we ask of you the good of this wind and the good of what is in it and the good that it is commanded to bring along with it. And we seek your protection, from the harm of this wind and the evil of what is in it and the evil that it is commanded to bring along with it.' "

Important issues:

1) Cursing the wind is prohibited.
2) Guidance to beneficial words when someone sees that which he dislikes.
3) The wind is commanded by Allah's Order
4) The wind may be ordered with good as well as harm.

Sorry for the Cursing. I mean cruising speed.

Reactions: Michael Ainsworth
I dont understand how my Air 3 batteries (all three) dont last more than 25-28 mins EVER!. I recently did a static timelapse. Basically flew it up some 100 metres and started the timelapse. No time spent in waypoint selection, no movement, and it wasnt even windy that morning. And I thought at least this would get me close to the advertised range of 35-40 mins. But that was not to be. At about 18 mins it began warning me of low battery with about 20% left. I pushed it to about 6% since I would have to just lower it in a straight line to me and it wouldnt have needed anymore than 2% for that. At the end the result was roughly 23 mins; in a situation where I thought I would actually get higher range than my average of 25-28 mins. How can all three batteries be faulty? What am I doing wrong here? Or is this normal?
Unless you have a Wind-tunnel tuned to the perfect speed for maximizing battery life,
Flight time may vary. And not in a good way!
Sorry :oops:

I have flown RC helicopters 3D style. That is only about 3-4 minutes flying per 2 batteries set. 12S configuration or 14S configurations. Same with 6S.

Reactions: Cafguy
I get around 35 minutes during regular flight, the maximum I got was 40 I think.
Make sure you're not flying in Sport mode, don't go crazy on the controls, the best speed for cruising is around 25-30 km/h for battery life.

Hear me out, after flying FPV constantly, the Air 3 seems that it flies forever lol!

What is the temperature like where you are flying. From what I have read you will start to see diminished capacity below 59 degrees. Personally I've been thrilled with the Air 3 batteries compared to the Air2S

Reactions: Wild Drone Pilot
I read a report that stated that hovering consumes more energy that flying at moderate speeds. I can’t recall what they said about wind conditions.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas