DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My Air 3 batteries are just not good enough

I read a report that stated that hovering consumes more energy that flying at moderate speeds. I can’t recall what they said about wind conditions.
Was it this?
seems counter-intuitive, but it's very true. The forward motion provides airflow over the blades, which enhances the lift on the Drone. As such, forward flight is much better for motor life and to increase battery flight time

We could ask a helicopter pilot about this. We can assume he has to add more whatever it is called to maintain lift in a hover as opposed to a moving through the air. Ah, Cafguy, as he said....

While I appreciate what people are saying in comparing the Air 3 battery capacity with other UAV experiences, I do know that these are better than most, or in fact any FPV or other consumer RPAS systems out there. But I'm comparing mine to other Air 3 experiences I've heard and read about.

My humble thanks to all who have responded with reasoning and suggestions.

Reactions: Wild Drone Pilot
I dont understand how my Air 3 batteries (all three) dont last more than 25-28 mins EVER!. I recently did a static timelapse. Basically flew it up some 100 metres and started the timelapse. No time spent in waypoint selection, no movement, and it wasnt even windy that morning. And I thought at least this would get me close to the advertised range of 35-40 mins. But that was not to be. At about 18 mins it began warning me of low battery with about 20% left. I pushed it to about 6% since I would have to just lower it in a straight line to me and it wouldnt have needed anymore than 2% for that. At the end the result was roughly 23 mins; in a situation where I thought I would actually get higher range than my average of 25-28 mins. How can all three batteries be faulty? What am I doing wrong here? Or is this normal?
I know this is an old thread, however it popped up in the weekly topics email... I think the other factor over and above what others have said is that the published time are without any recording and sensors off (that chomps power) and to 0%... ;)
Most I've got with recording video @4K and light winds is 35 minutes to zero (only because I had a flyaway :D )

• Max Flight Time​

• 46 minutes

Measured by DJI Air 3 flying at a constant speed of 28.8 kph in a windless environment at sea level, with APAS off, AirSense off, camera parameters set to 1080p/24fps, video mode off, and from 100% battery level until 0%. Data is for reference only. Always pay attention to reminders in the app during your flight.
  • Max Hovering Time​

• 42 minutes

Measured by DJI Air 3 hovering in a windless environment at sea level, with APAS off, AirSense off, camera parameters set to 1080p/24fps, video mode off, and from 100% battery level until 0%. Data is for reference only. Always pay attention to reminders in the app during your flight.

" But I'm comparing mine to other Air 3 experiences I've heard and read about."
Yeah, I get longer times than what you are getting. So seems like many other Air 3 owners are getting longer battery life than you. I don`t think anyone here can help, might be best to bring it up with DJI and see what they say.

I know this is an old thread, however it popped up in the weekly topics email... I think the other factor over and above what others have said is that the published time are without any recording and sensors off (that chomps power) and to 0%... ;)
Most I've got with recording video @4K and light winds is 35 minutes to zero (only because I had a flyaway :D )

• Max Flight Time​

• 46 minutes

Measured by DJI Air 3 flying at a constant speed of 28.8 kph in a windless environment at sea level, with APAS off, AirSense off, camera parameters set to 1080p/24fps, video mode off, and from 100% battery level until 0%. Data is for reference only. Always pay attention to reminders in the app during your flight.
  • Max Hovering Time​

• 42 minutes

Measured by DJI Air 3 hovering in a windless environment at sea level, with APAS off, AirSense off, camera parameters set to 1080p/24fps, video mode off, and from 100% battery level until 0%. Data is for reference only. Always pay attention to reminders in the app during your flight.
I read a comment from DJI that hovering consumers more power than flying.

Reactions: zeusfl
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne