DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Files names resetting to 0001

MavicMike55

Reactions
File names reset to DJI_0001 after formatting Card. This did not happen on the MA1. This is stupid and a PITA. So after saving files to my computer, I format card to reuse on future flights, and now I have duplicate files. DJI, are you taking a page from AUTEL's book?? ?

It numbers one above the last one on the card. I clean the card by deleting all but the last.

It numbers one above the last one on the card. I clean the card by deleting all but the last.
Oh cool. I'll have to try that. You sure it doesn't fill in the numbers above it?

It does not. It will continue the count using the file number of the file left on the card.
OK, great...I guess I can work with that. BUT ****, DJI, come on, get your act together. Geez.

Reactions: Tentoes
OK, great...I guess I can work with that. BUT ****, DJI, come on, get your act together. Geez.

Probably an engineering decision. I don't know what the nonvolatile storage in the MA2 is, but flash has a limited number of rewrites.

File names reset to DJI_0001 after formatting Card. This did not happen on the MA1. This is stupid and a PITA. So after saving files to my computer, I format card to reuse on future flights, and now I have duplicate files. DJI, are you taking a page from AUTEL's book?? ?
You can delete all the files and this frees up the space on the card but don't re format and they will number consecutive ..You don't have to leave one on...?

Which implies the 'next number' is stored in a file on the SD card somewhere. Might be worth having a look for it.

You can delete all the files and this frees up the space on the card but don't re format and they will number consecutive ..You don't have to leave one on...?

Hmm. I'll try that.

Which implies the 'next number' is stored in a file on the SD card somewhere. Might be worth having a look for it.
Really what difference does it make if you can delete all your media, which frees up space, and it keeps numbering consecutive. It just works as long as you don't format the card. At least until they put this option in the app for the Air 2 as it was for the mini.

Different use cases I guess. I don't have an MA2, but if I did I would not want the next file number to be reset after a format. Neither would I want to change my folder structure to accommodate this behavior. My Nikon doesn't do it, neither do any of my other digital devices. It's just plain wrong.

Reactions: RonMav
When I off load cards I use a utility that allows me to rename at the same time. I have found that a format “yyyy_mm_dd-sequence number” works well. It guarantees unique files, and provides a healthy jog to remembering when each shot was generated.

Hi, not a direct answer, but related: I do want the filenames as "date+time.jpg" instead of the standard numbering. I do use renamer with the following rule: "replace current name by :EXIF_date:". This creates a name according to the date/time the photo was taken.

As soon as I return home, this program changes all filenames on the SD card before moving them to my computer. Helps organizing them, and I never have duplicates.

BTW doesn't work for .DNG files

Example:
1593519763002.png

They were on the original Mavic Air!! This was the reason I sent back the Autel Evo. I thought it was absolutely ridiculous to reset file numbers after every flight.
What’s ridiculous is sending back a purchase that had nothing wrong with it because it did not have a continuous file system option. This is ridiculous if you ask me.

I agree with the post above with having dated folders. I have a folder set up for each drone I fly (DJI-Mavic Air, DJI-Mavic PP, DJI-Mavic 2 Zoom). In each of these folders I have sub-folders for the date I fly, which is where all the files go (both SD and internal if I used it). Pretty easy to find them this way.

Also makes it easier as I back them up each month and then delete the dated folders I no longer need on that drive.

Maybe I'm too obsessive about this, but then again, I can tell you how much we spent on groceries in September of 2002 :) Oh, it was $279. 90 if you were interested.

Ah, the life of a retired engineer :)

What’s ridiculous is sending back a purchase that had nothing wrong with it because it did not have a continuous file system option. This is ridiculous if you ask me.
Actually, there were several reasons. This was just one of them. Another one was the fact that the battery was a b**ch to remove. And it kept telling me to update firmware when it had already been done. But mainly, it had a problem with the FPV transmission to the connected device. Continously had to restart the drone and the software. I just felt that their drone was inferior to DJI drones. I couldn't keep something that expensive that was giving me fits to use.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NIKLM