DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Filming around Cinque Terre Italy

Drone UK

Reactions
I will be having a holiday in cinque terre and have heard its a no fly zone. But then i found a map showing the areas in question which are not allowed. So does this mean if i travel way from these to the areas, which i have highlighted in Blue, i will be ok to take off and fly the drone?

Be such a shame not to fly the drone to get some beautiful footage and make a video when on the coast in Italy. I was not going to take the drone till i found this map and thought maybe i am ok as long as i stay away from the green areas.

Thanks
Andy

Attachments

• Unknown 01.jpg
    Unknown 01.jpg
    606.8 KB · Views: 44
  • Unknown.jpg
    Unknown.jpg
    623.3 KB · Views: 45
I will be having a holiday in cinque terre and have heard its a no fly zone. But then i found a map showing the areas in question which are not allowed. So does this mean if i travel way from these to the areas, which i have highlighted in Blue, i will be ok to take off and fly the drone?

Be such a shame not to fly the drone to get some beautiful footage and make a video when on the coast in Italy. I was not going to take the drone till i found this map and thought maybe i am ok as long as i stay away from the green areas.
The Cinque Terre is that area surrounded by the green line and with the bird symbol
The five villages are all marked in the southern half of that area.
It will be very crowded there.
It's a great location for drone shots but if you don't take a drone, there's plenty to shoot with a camera from ground level. too.
Manarola_1-XL.jpg

Reactions: Dropyn and Drone UK
...So does this mean if i travel way from these to the areas, which i have highlighted in Blue, i will be ok to take off and fly the drone?

Be such a shame not to fly the drone to get some beautiful footage...

Great location, can totally see your reasoning. All the key towns along the coast there get really busy with people so overfly is a non-starter as you already know.

If your map is correct it does seem like you have some possibilities to capture either from over the sea, or from land just outside the green restricted zones - but - bear in mind on the land side, its pretty rugged terrain around cinqueterre, which could be good for finding a nice isolated, elevated launch point but could limit your range in terms of LOS and possibly even signal reach depending on the direction you fly in.

If you do fly out over the water try not to overfly any of the beaches (not too difficult, the're typically quite small), and be aware that even if you opt for early morning, its possible you'll be out around the same time fishermen are going out (not necesarily a problem but worth noting if you are wanting to be super discreet).

Lastly, read up on the current drone laws for Italy, particularly regarding insurance. Been a while since I checked but I seem to remember somwehere reading two contradictory statements regarding whether needed or not.
Regardless, if you have a Mavic, its so portable it would be crazy not to take it on the off-chance - just do some prep on the local regs, which you've already started doing.

Thanks for the replies guys and good info as well. Seems i should be ok but be both careful and double check things. I think i will take the drone but be very careful and look at the map to see where i am and if ok to take off from and as said i could fly over the sea looking at the coast.

Thanks again
Andy

Thanks
Andy
It would be so sad if you were not able to take drone pictures in this incredibly beautiful spot. I was there a couple of times (pre-drone), and got great photos with a non-flying camera, but I always hoped to go back with a drone. I don't know why they get so anti-drone without even knowing anything about them. Anyway, the best possible drone shots of the area would be from over the sea, aimed at the land. I don't see how that should bother or endanger anyone.

Reactions: Drone UK
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa