DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Filming in National Parks is Banned for YouTubers

drakkor

Reactions
From Jeven Dovey's channel:
"If you're an outdoor creator in the United States then you need to see this video. I recently learned that a judge has reversed a ruling that forces any creator to obtain a permit to film on federal land.

As I dig deeper into this topic I realize that this affects 28% of the land in the United States. The crazy part is they're treating a vlogger with a go-pro the same as a full 100+ crew filming a motion picture.

Since October you now have to get a permit to make video content on public land if you post it somewhere like YouTube or TikTok. This video goes through the issue and process to get a permit now to film.

If you're an outdoor creator this will affect you..."
Watch the video here

"If you're an outdoor creator in the United States then you need to see this video. I recently learned that a judge has reversed a ruling that forces any creator to obtain a permit to film on federal land.

As I dig deeper into this topic I realize that this affects 28% of the land in the United States.
Only 3.4% of the public land in the US is NPS property. Not sure where you got 28% (http://www.allgov.com/departments/d...nages the almost 400,3.4 percent of U.S. land.)

The crazy part is they're treating a vlogger with a go-pro the same as a full 100+ crew filming a motion picture.

Since October you now have to get a permit to make video content on public land if you post it somewhere like YouTube or TikTok. This video goes through the issue and process to get a permit now to film.
I have no problem with permits for most commercial stuff, but a YouTuber or TikTok person shouldn't need this. That's silly.
Watch the video here

Only 3.4% of the public land in the US is NPS property. Not sure where you got 28% (http://www.allgov.com/departments/department-of-the-interior/national-park-service?agencyid=7251#:~:text=NPS manages the almost 400,3.4 percent of U.S. land.)

I have no problem with permits for most commercial stuff, but a YouTuber or TikTok person shouldn't need this. That's silly.
Google says 28% of the US is *federal land* which is obviously much different than national parks or land managed by NPS.

Yes, blahahaha! That is because the government has expanded their experimentation with animals, plants, and aliens to national park systems. Through incremental restrictions, national parks will soon become an extension of area 51. Strange lights in the sky. Bizarre sounds emanating from the forest. Jurassic park. Soylent green bubbling up from the unnatural springs.

Well, 100 person crew or a lone person with a go-pro. Commercial use is commercial use regardless of the equipment or number of people. I doubt though they would bother someone walking around with a camera and taking selfie videos, soon as you put it on a tripod and stand in front of it that's different. Personally, I think it's fair. No one want's the parks littered with bloggers and YTers setting up cameras and making a nuisance of themselves. And honestly, some YTers have elaborate rigs, multiple cameras, sound rigs, etc.

Reactions: halifax
He pulls up the part about YouTube and TikTok, reads the first sentence, but then completely ignores this very meaningful clause in NPS's permit section:

"This includes individuals or small groups that don’t use much equipment, but generate revenue by posting footage on websites, such as YouTube and TikTok. The primary focus of the NPS, however, is on commercial filming that has the potential to impact park resources and visitors beyond what occurs from normal visitor use of park areas. Examples of this type of filming are productions that use substantial equipment such as sets and lighting, productions with crews that exceed 5 people, and filming in closed areas, wilderness areas, or in locations that would create conflicts with other visitors or harm sensitive resources."

NPS seems to pretty explicitly be saying that they don't really care about online creators until they start to look more like a traditional film crew. If you're just one or two people out creating some content and not bothering people, you're not what they're concerned about (AFAICT).

Last edited:

As I dig deeper into this topic I realize that this affects 28% of the land in the United States. The crazy part is they're treating a vlogger with a go-pro the same as a full 100+ crew filming a motion picture.

Watch the video here
If you want to MONETIZE your You Tube with your vacation video, this applies. If you do not want to monetize it and are filming like any tourist, it would not affect you.

Dale

Google says 28% of the US is *federal land* which is obviously much different than national parks or land managed by NPS.
Yeah, that's an issue with folks who only do a little bit of research. They misinform, and then that misinformation gets relayed.

And it's literally a 10 second Google search to confirm. Dovey did the creative community a disservice by overstating the number.

It's also on the back end. If it is posted on a monetized social media channel. I really can't see the GoPro PoPo running around interrogating people in parks with a GoPro on a stick. If I were running around with my Ursa Mini Broadcast G2 on my shoulder I wouldn't be surprised if I was approached. Even then, with no professional credentials I doubt anything could be done beyond warning me of the consequence of utilizing captured video to produce revenue.

None of this should effect us as drone pilots because we haven't been able to fly in a national park ever, right?
depends... 😉Dronie2.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Beet
There is usually an instigating event that triggers NPS decision-making. I wonder what it was...

Yeah, that's an issue with folks who only do a little bit of research. They misinform, and then that misinformation gets relayed.

And it's literally a 10 second Google search to confirm. Dovey did the creative community a disservice by overstating the number.
<drift>
Vic, I'm not picking on you but I hate google. It gives the illusion of enlightenment when it actually just presents the intersection of one's search words and Alphabet's idea of what you should see.

IMHO, using google to "do research" on complex topics can be very misleading. Unless one has some previous domain knowledge, there's no way to know if google is feeding you BS or not. So I'd give Jeven a break.
</drift>

Land status in the western US is a big deal - not only for where you're flying, but also where you're standing. Probably nobody knows that better than hunters. One resource that might help when you're out flying is this USGS interactive map. It'll tell you management status but it's still up to you to know what that management agency has for flying rules.

Reactions: KD2SSP
So the Joe Average family on vacation with a iPhone recording a video would need a permit to ‘film’ in/on Federal land, parks like Yellowstone, Mt. St. Hellens, Yosemite, Grand Canyon, etc. ?????

Only 3.4% of the public land in the US is NPS property. Not sure where you got 28% (http://www.allgov.com/departments/department-of-the-interior/national-park-service?agencyid=7251#:~:text=NPS manages the almost 400,3.4 percent of U.S. land.)

Yeah this is one of those issues where some retard blogger/droner yada yada did something really stupid and an example had to be made. This is why we are getting hit with more restrictions, because idiots don't use discretion and wreck it for the majority of responsible videographers. Then there's always the money being made or lost depending on what end you're on.

Last edited:
So the Joe Average family on vacation with a iPhone recording a video would need a permit to ‘film’ in/on Federal land, parks like Yellowstone, Mt. St. Hellens, Yosemite, Grand Canyon, etc. ?????
No. This has nothing to do with Joe Average at all.

No. This has nothing to do with Joe Average at all.
Okay maybe I miss understand.. if you film with iPhone and place it on YouTube and your video is monetized, you don’t need a permit, but if I fly your drone legally and post to YouTube and are monetized you do need the 107, and permit?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarizzman