DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Filter help please, is this a fault?

ttreaders

Reactions
Hi,

I'm using 'Freewell All Day' filters, after getting home and checking the video, I noticed a 'snowing' effect that moves across the screen. I think it's the water reflection and can only think that it's somehow getting behind the filter and reflecting back onto the actual lens creating the effect? Is this a fault with the filter or just something that can happen? I double checked and the filter is definitely fitted correctly.

Please have a look at the YouTube link and see what you think - it appears over the island.

Cheers!

If you take the filter off that will all go away as well as the reflection on the glass,
That refraction of light is just hard on the filter for that shot.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
I've seen that effect in motion pictures.

Usually a car driving towards the camera at night and you can see another set of headlights off in the corner from the reflection of the lens.

That, or you just filmed some sort of time portal to another dimension. ?

• Haha
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
A polarized filter may help reduce the reflections.

Most of them are adjustable and work fine on a camera in your hand to adjust the light at a certain angle, but that's hard to do when the drone is in flight and has different viewing angles during the flight.

I think they make fixed polarized filters that may remedy this?

Thanks for the replies guys, it's strange, when I google this issue I can't find anyone else with the same problem, maybe I'm not using the right terminology in my search?

In my filter pack I have polarized filters which I was planning to try, I just wasn't sure if this what I was seeing was 'normal' and whether it was down to my own user error or not.

I'm aware that if I don't use the filter then this wont happen but I want to be equipped to be able to use a filter over the water if necessary - filming there again for example on a sunny day when the boats are going around, I'd like to be able to select the correct shutter speed to get the right amount of motion blur.

Am I right in thinking the water is reflecting into the filter lens from the side and is reflecting back onto the drone lens?

Thanks

Reactions: RMuntan
As you kit probably includes ND and ND/PL filters, when using the PLs be sure to set up properly for the one way shot / direction you plan.
PLs can be difficult to get the best out of due to any change in direction or camera gimbal tilt will change how it works.
Great for hand held cameras, a bit of a pain for drones.

I use filters on my Cannon hand held camera but never really had the need to use a filter on my drone.

Yes, it’s not that unusual. It can occur within a lens assembly as well as between a filter and the lens elements.

Stills and video camera lenses use multiple coatings on the glass to reduce internal reflections but it’s unlikely the same quality coatings are used in our tiny drone cameras.

Reactions: hiflyer201
Thanks, how would I go about avoiding this issue then? Is there anything I can do about it? (other than not using a filter).

Thanks, how would I go about avoiding this issue then? Is there anything I can do about it? (other than not using a filter).

Avoid filming into the sun, and / or try flying higher and angling the gimbal down more.
Experiment a little to get to know what the camera will manage vs sun in various positions.

Reactions: SkyeHigh
What video are you using? Is it showing up on the file from the SD card? What video settings? It looks as if you are getting compression artifacts in and around the reflections. This comes from shooting low res video, like the video that the tablet or phone records, rather than the full res version on the SD card.

What video are you using? Is it showing up on the file from the SD card? What video settings? It looks as if you are getting compression artifacts in and around the reflections. This comes from shooting low res video, like the video that the tablet or phone records, rather than the full res version on the SD card.

Hi Dave,

It's using max res of 2.7k at 30 fps and taken from the SD card, the uploaded clip isn't max quality. I've had the same issue in multiple places over water also, although the other day it showed as a smaller water reflection that changed into a red dot as it went over the land.

Cheers

Update: I sent Freewell the video and they replied:

"Hey,

Thanks for your message.

As I see the footage that's happening when the camera is pointing towards sunray reflection".

Not a very detailed response!

Hi,

I'm using 'Freewell All Day' filters, after getting home and checking the video, I noticed a 'snowing' effect that moves across the screen. I think it's the water reflection and can only think that it's somehow getting behind the filter and reflecting back onto the actual lens creating the effect? Is this a fault with the filter or just something that can happen? I double checked and the filter is definitely fitted correctly.

Please have a look at the YouTube link and see what you think - it appears over the island.

Cheers!
As you and others have noted, it does appear to be a reflection occurring when pointed into that bright sun as the light is apparently so strong, it can reflect off of the surface of the lens, onto the backside of the filter, then back into the lens and still be strong enough to be sensed. I've only used the DJI filters with the MA2 and was so turned off by the decrease in crispness of even stationary objects, that I'm going to be looking for something of higher quality. So I guess I learned a little something from your experience. Thanks.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spawnn