DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Filter removal

aerialinspiration

Reactions
Anyone got any tips to remove stock lens filter? I’ve just got my ND filter pack but the factory fitted lens seems impossible to unscrew and I’m afraid of breaking something if I put any more force on it.

Anyone got any tips to remove stock lens filter? I’ve just got my ND filter pack but the factory fitted lens seems impossible to unscrew and I’m afraid of breaking something if I put any more force on it.
Do it with the Mavic off. Point the camera down and get a good grip with both hands. I held the camera with my left and did the lens ring with my right thumb and index finger.

I used a rubber band to get a good grip. Also, don’t squeeze too hard. Grabbing it too hard might actually make it harder to turn. After you get the ring off the first time, it’ll be much easier in the future. I have the UV filter on pretty much all the time.

D
I used a rubber band to get a good grip. Also, don’t squeeze too hard. Grabbing it too hard might actually make it harder to turn. After you get the ring off the first time, it’ll be much easier in the future. I have the UV filter on pretty much all the time.
Do you notice the difference with the uv filter on? I've got one but can't tell the difference... I was using an nd16 but just as like a sunglasses thing lol. Too rookie to know filming modes, and it helped photos a little, but after much reading the uv filter was suggested but it's just clear? Indunno

D

Do you notice the difference with the uv filter on? I've got one but can't tell the difference... I was using an nd16 but just as like a sunglasses thing lol. Too rookie to know filming modes, and it helped photos a little, but after much reading the uv filter was suggested but it's just clear? Indunno

UV filters are notoriously useless. Their primary function is supposed to be the reduction of the faint blue cast you get in bright sunlight, especially at altitude. In practice any difference is all but impossible to detect and DSLR users tend to have them just as a lens protector.

ND filters are just bits of grey glass that reduce the amount of light entering the camera to slow everything down. They are normally used in stills photography only to slow down motion in water, clouds etc to blur and smooth the image. Their only practical use with drones is to be able to reduce frame rates when shooting video in very bright scenarios like beach, snow etc..

Some people will claim they produce better stills photos but that's because they are too dim to use the camera controls properly, reducing EV for example when you have too much light and want to underexpose (which makes it easier to pull out detail in post production - the same is not true of overexposure because it will have lost a lot of that detail).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS