DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Final Cut Pro - Optimized media?

magnil

Reactions
Trying to learn how to use FCPX and have a few questions,

-When importing media from Mavic should I create optimized media or stick with native media?
-I have a Macbook Pro. Can I put media on external drive, create proxy media on Macbook and edit without the external drive? Just use external drive when I should export final video?

Reactions: Mystiko
Optimized media is only useful if your Mac is too slowto handle native media.

Proxies have to be in the library, but you can do what you'd like if you keep the original media outside of the library and on the external drive.

If you leave your media outside the library, yes you can move it to an external drive. Import your media as linked media (dont copy to library) and request FCPX to create the proxies. Once the proxy creation is finished, you should be able to switch to using the proxy and remove the external drive.

I have had media linking issues in the past, but usually the relinking process works fine and hooking the original back to your library should work fine.

I am using FCPX as well. I create proxy media for 4K footage when editing, and revert to original media upon export. 2.7K out of the Mavic camera plays back fine on my older MacBook Pro. I use proxy for my time lapse 4K footage as well.

I keep everything in the library. When I am finished with a project, I use Final Cut Library Manager to remove the proxy and optimized media. (All of which can be created from the original camera media if need be. here is a link to it.

Arctic Whiteness

I finally had a chance to try this. It works well, keep original in external disk and make proxy while import (did not use optimized media). Only problem is that original clips on external disc is 11.1 GB and proxy media is 9.2 GB. Not much space to save?

Originals is Gopro 1080/60 and Mavic 2.7K/30 media. When I switch to Proxy media I can see that the quality is a lot worse. How come the size difference is not bigger? Any settings?

I finally had a chance to try this. It works well, keep original in external disk and make proxy while import (did not use optimized media). Only problem is that original clips on external disc is 11.1 GB and proxy media is 9.2 GB. Not much space to save?

Originals is Gopro 1080/60 and Mavic 2.7K/30 media. When I switch to Proxy media I can see that the quality is a lot worse. How come the size difference is not bigger? Any settings?

Hi
Thank you.
May I know what is your external disc?

If you leave your media outside the library, yes you can move it to an external drive. Import your media as linked media (dont copy to library) and request FCPX to create the proxies. Once the proxy creation is finished, you should be able to switch to using the proxy and remove the external drive.

I have had media linking issues in the past, but usually the relinking process works fine and hooking the original back to your library should work fine.

Hi
What is your external disc?
Thank you

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rui S