DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Firefighters, rooftop view, lots of smoke

I’m just a geek that likes to play with drones. I have a good relationship with local fire chiefs. When I’m available and they get a big fire, they allow me access to shoot drone video.

as a courtesy, I give the chiefs first access to the video and allow them
To veto anything they would prefer not get published.

It allows me to get some pretty unique shots.

I imagine they also use these videos for training after the fact to talk about what went well, what could have been done better.

Here is the video from this particular fire:

I’m just a geek that likes to play with drones. I have a good relationship with local fire chiefs. When I’m available and they get a big fire, they allow me access to shoot drone video.

I imagine they also use these videos for training after the fact to talk about what went well, what could have been done better.

Great opportunity there, guess those blokes would be the ones requesting a NFZ if they wanted or needed it on the area.
We usually get them put in place pretty quick on areas with home / car / grass fires etc.
Good you can work in with them so well.

Some really interesting perspectives on the teamwork, they managed pretty well considering how well that back section of the home was alight, and how fast it spread internally into the 2 storey area.

The 'swimming pool' water source and teamwork keeping water up to the main pump truck was particularly good.

Reactions: davery87
Great opportunity there, guess those blokes would be the ones requesting a NFZ if they wanted or needed it on the area.
We usually get them put in place pretty quick on areas with home / car / grass fires etc.
Good you can work in with them so well.

Some really interesting perspectives on the teamwork, they managed pretty well considering how well that back section of the home was alight, and how fast it spread internally into the 2 storey area.

The 'swimming pool' water source and teamwork keeping water up to the main pump truck was particularly good.

most of the departments around here do not have any fire hydrants so they have to truck in all of their water. These portable tanks allow the tanker trucks to dump their water and leave.

it’s pretty neat watching them set everything up and thing more or less running like clockwork.

it is still tragic that someone lost their home and most of their possessions.

Background story ?
Your pic ?
Were you part of the team, keeping on eye on the firefighters ?
Wouldn't like to be on the roof there, wondering if inside framework was burning through and about to drop the roof !
I might be off base here but all of the drone teaching I have had stresses that it is illegal to fly over accidents, disasters, etc. whether or not the fire chief is your buddy. That being said, it was a really great shot, and suitable for the local newspaper.

• Wow
Reactions: GadgetGuy
I might be off base here but all of the drone teaching I have had stresses that it is illegal to fly over accidents, disasters, etc. whether or not the fire chief is your buddy. That being said, it was a really great shot, and suitable for the local newspaper.

It's not a question of whether he is your buddy - it's a question of whether the incident commander (in this case probably the Fire Chief) authorized the flight.

It's not a question of whether he is your buddy - it's a question of whether the incident commander (in this case probably the Fire Chief) authorized the flight.

Agreed. And he did.

full disclosure, I am a career firefighter and fly drones as part of my job. I work far away from where I live.

also, in this case, i occasionally shoot drone video of emergency incidents in the town where I live, as a hobby.

my typical process is this: I have blanket permission from the fire chief to do so, but I usually launch the drone and let it hover some distance from the incident, then search out the incident commander who is not necessarily the chief, and make certain this particular flight won’t interfere.

then I capture amazing footage.

once produced, i send the fire chief an unlisted link and allow him to veto anything he would prefer not get published. Sometimes this includes entire videos that never see the light of day.

I am fortunate that I am able to make such arrangements and understand that most people do not have such opportunities.

Very good and respectful process. You are very fortunate to have this quite unique opportunity. Great video.

Theres tons of information in the videos. Maybe there are some particulars that may save property and most importantly human life...

Last edited:
By far the most exciting video I’ve seen on this site! You capture those heroes in action. Tremendous job, Geek!

Reactions: Lapeer20m
Some of the users on here are know it all, miserable sapps, who always have to act like drone police with every video posting. Ignore their bs and bravo on making an exceptional video that's actually interesting! I'm sure the department loves what you put together for them.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whathesaid