DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Firehouse strobe mount with safety thread

AL GUY

Reactions
Picture of Firehouse strobe on my mini. Notice safety thread in case 3m failsfirehouse.jpg

I'd be wary of a thread routed like that allowing the strobe to be sucked into the left prop. It may seem improbable but I have seen some odd things happen to flotsam caught in my drones' prop washes.
Besides I would question the need if a good attachement mechanism is used, I stuck a strobon in the same place with either the epoxy putty I used to angle the strobon as I desired or evostick impact adhesive between the puttyand the drone and it took surpising force to remove it when I decided to do so.
I would also question the security of a loose loop.
If you think a tether is a must then perhaps via a single SMALL hole drilled in the battery door.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be wary of a thread routed like that allowing the stobe to be sucked into the left prop. It may seem improbable but I have seen some odd things happen to flotsam caught in my drones' prop washes.
Besides I would question the need if a good attachement mechanism is used, I stuck a strobon in the same place with either the epoxy putty I used to angle the strobon as I desired or evostick impact adhesive and it took surpising force to remove it when I decided to do so. I would also question the security of a loose loop.
If you think a tether is a must then perhaps via a single SMALL hole drilled in the battery door.
Good idea, but I agree with PhiliusFoggg. I personally would rather have it drop away clean rather than possibly get tangled in a prop. If you ae using that industrial strength 3M hook & loop (velcro) I have never had it dislodge or come unstuck, as long as the surface was clean before application. I think losing one would be unlikely :)

Reactions: Thomas B
Good idea, but I agree with PhiliusFoggg. I personally would rather have it drop away clean rather than possibly get tangled in a prop. If you ae using that industrial strength 3M hook & loop (velcro) I have never had it dislodge or come unstuck, as long as the surface was clean before application. I think losing one would be unlikely :)
Based on the last few comments I am reconsidering my safety string. I will either think of a better method or just trust the 3M.

Thanks for the comments.
AL

Picture of Firehouse strobe on my mini. Notice safety thread in case 3m failsView attachment 121123
Not a bad plan. I did have one strobe fall off as I let my young grandson put the strobe on and I didn't check it properly. When using velcro alone I double check to make sure that the male and female mate properly. Also, the other day, I had my Mini land in the snow and because of the cold the adhesive let loose and the strobe came entirely off of the male velcro. I replaced the velcro, but will be careful to check each time for proper adhesion.

On the arms of my Mini (both 1 and 20 the R/G strobes are attached with elastic bands. This works great. I don't use velcro because sometimes I need to reposition the lights to accomodate prop guards and velcro makes the arms too thick. And besides, the elastic by itself is perfect. However on my M2 I use both velcro and elastic.

String and things that fly isn’t a good mix. As long as you have a good quality Velcro, they won’t come off. The cost of an aircraft dropping to the ground from a prop failure is a bit more than the cost of a small strobe.

Dual Lock works much better than velcro.

Reactions: IFlyhigh37

Agreed, this is a slightly harder material to work with, but does provide a better bond.

I am going to get these.
AL

Picture of Firehouse strobe on my mini. Notice safety thread in case 3m failsView attachment 121123
I agree with catusjackslade the one inch square velcro works great, and can be cut to the exact size to match the light. It's hard enough to pull off let alone fall off.
The plus side is I do not have to remove clips or fasteners snapping on and off the arms every time I want to to fold up the drone for storage when placing in my backpack. Just remove the light and place it back when you go to fly.

Do the firehouse strobes affect the camera at night? I am interested in these but Im not sure how t affects the camera - especially with placement. Firehouse has the new mounts for the arms but Im not sure if thats good or if Im better off putting one on top and another on bottom /rear

Do the firehouse strobes affect the camera at night? I am interested in these but Im not sure how t affects the camera - especially with placement. Firehouse has the new mounts for the arms but Im not sure if thats good or if Im better off putting one on top and another on bottom /rear
On my M2Z I can see the flash in the video. I turn off the front leg light and leave the back on. I also have the downward facing spotlight to have VLOS with.

On my M2Z I can see the flash in the video. I turn off the front leg light and leave the back on. I also have the downward facing spotlight to have VLOS with.
Interesting... on my M2P strobes mounted on either front arms or legs have never interfered with or been visible in my videos or still images.

what are your flight conditions and method of mounting?

Interesting... on my M2P strobes mounted on either front arms or legs have never interfered with or been visible in my videos or still images.

what are your flight conditions and method of mounting?
My light is center on the front leg and I was trying to video a rocket launch at night. It is not bright but you can see the slight flash. Possibly reflecting off the front underside of the AC itself, or just catching the lens. I don't fly at night much, and in the daytime no effect on the video. Perhaps the strobe could be moved more towards the center of the AC.

My light is center on the front leg and I was trying to video a rocket launch at night. It is not bright but you can see the slight flash. Possibly reflecting off the front underside of the AC itself, or just catching the lens. I don't fly at night much, and in the daytime no effect on the video. Perhaps the strobe could be moved more towards the center of the AC.
Or more distal on the arms

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Inky