DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

firmware .800 Flight restrictions

Thanks for that, is it me or does that seem to be a BIG limitation. What if you are anywhere with no cell signal for that matter, USA, Colombia, Costa Rica, Belize etc. The whole object of these things to "Go where no man has gone before" and get some good pictures for your memories. It does make the Mavic less attractive for the price.

I do agree and understand your perspective. You and I purchased the Mavic from DJI (hardware) and should have the right to fly as we wish as long as we are safe. However DJI still owns the software rights. From their perspective this restriction (if not connected to the logged in app upon powering up) is added safety to insure that the pilot has true visual line of sight when flying the drone with the remote controller solo without the video.

I am still running FW .400 and I don't plan on updating no time soon. I am running the latest GO4 app with no issues on a new iPad mini 4. I got tired of fighting with android issues. The iOS is rock solid, no lagging video stream, cache video with no freezing. Love it and is well worth the $385.00 it cost me.

They have also happily given you the opportunity to stay with your current firmware OR even downgrade if you so desire.

People are just making a mountain out of a mole here on this issue. I guarantee you that 99.999% of all future purchasers of the Mavic will NOT read the TOS before they make their purchase and they'll be blissfully unaware of these "apparently" terrible and legally questionable TOS.

RAMJET-1 I hear you. Thanks again for the Video Link it did the trick for me. Your scenario is good as long as you do not want to run with the goggles.

Reactions: RAMJET-1
This forces everyone to log on to dji. It is actually a way of forcing everyone to agree to their terrible and legally questionable terms of service, including a reference to void them of being able to be sued, and giving up your rights to class actions.

Quite literally every large corporation does this.

RAMJET-1 I hear you. Thanks again for the Video Link it did the trick for me. Your scenario is good as long as you do not want to run with the goggles.

Yep... I may update in the future with confidence since I have the iPad now. I did try the .600 and .700 firmware and the Fixed Wing mode was fun however the app would crash just about every other flight when I was on my Android device so that is why I downgraded back to .400 and GO3 app (3.1.4) since it was pretty much free of glitches and stable.

According to the statement in the Release notes this answer is NO I cannot fly without a phone or tablet. Remember I left the phone in the car and do not have it at all when I want to fly.
Correct. The aircraft must connect to the GO4 app, or a thrid party app that has been built with the new DJI SDK (none have released updates yet, except Drone Harmony, I believe), in order to lift the LOS limits.

However, at that point you can disconnect your smart device and put it in your pocket, and fly by the RC alone to your heart's content without any restriction.

If you're a person that regularly leaves your smartphone at home when you go to fly this will be a problem for you.

DJI will completely ignore this issue because none of those seven people on the planet own a DJI drone. Problem solved.

DJI IS NOT FORCING ANYONE TO DO ANYTHING. NOT A SINGLE THING!!

This forces everyone to log on to dji. It is actually a way of forcing everyone to agree to their terrible and legally questionable terms of service, including a reference to void them of being able to be sued, and giving up your rights to class actions.

Reactions: Cerberus
My 2cents worth.
Once you have upgraded make sure you are logged in on the GO 4 app.
Then it makes not a bit of difference when you shut everything off.
To all intents and purpose you are still "logged in" on the app.
After this you do not need internet or cellular access.
You can be in the mountains, wilderness, desert. With absolutely no access to these services but as long as you can get enough satellites you can fly and record as normal.
Why would you leave your phone in the car if you are going out anywhere to fly.
My Mavic is used as a flying camera not something to just fly around, although I do enjoy the occasional fly.
I love watching the screen to get my vicarious birds eye view.
There is way too much confusion regarding this update. It really is no big deal and I have yet to find any restrictions on my flying.
Lastly..... You only need to make sure you are logged in after you update, exactly the same process when you first activated the MP. No difference.

I find I have to update NFZ zones as dji go app prompts me every time I fly in a new area.... The issue with that is that I have a wifi only able tablet so it makes my tablet unusable.... Very very inconvenient.... Idk... A few more things and I'll have to get a typhoon

Tried to fly a few minutes ago but the new update stopped me. Question, I have never hooked my mavic to the computer and have only updated the go4app. Does that mean my mavic is still at the .400 I hear about or does the app update take it to the .800?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hippysmavic