DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

firmware .800 Flight restrictions

You no longer own your drone. It is leased and conditions for use can be changed at the sole discretion of DJI.
I'm sorry, but do you really ever own anything... house - don't make the payments or the taxes, it goes. Car - don't pay the taxes or tags can't drive it. Your phone - don't pay the bill can't use it, get out of range can't use it. If you use google and have location turned on your phone. They know where you are at all times. If you don't like something then change it. There are tons of youtube to build your own drone.
I come to this forum to read and see what other people are doing with there mavics. The good or bad times, no one wants to read about how someone thinks DJI is controlling there drone. You're being controlled by your boss, wife, kids, goverment, police, ect.. SELL the **** thing and go away!!!

Sorry, just tired of reading all about the new FW updates. I'm 100% updated and I'm flying fine! Having fun and enjoying life.

I'm sorry, but do you really ever own anything... house - don't make the payments or the taxes, it goes. Car - don't pay the taxes or tags can't drive it. Your phone - don't pay the bill can't use it, get out of range can't use it. If you use google and have location turned on your phone. They know where you are at all times. If you don't like something then change it. There are tons of youtube to build your own drone.
I come to this forum to read and see what other people are doing with there mavics. The good or bad times, no one wants to read about how someone thinks DJI is controlling there drone. You're being controlled by your boss, wife, kids, goverment, police, ect.. SELL the **** thing and go away!!!

Sorry, just tired of reading all about the new FW updates. I'm 100% updated and I'm flying fine! Having fun and enjoying life.
You are not alone!.... :)

a37b10e5dc0a69877e041843f0466be6.jpg

Are we have the same update guys???

The only outrage here is that font.

Last edited:
I had to upgrade/Refresh firmware with each battery installed. I always refresh anyway with each battery but this time had a pop up window that said incompatible module firmware, update
Confirm or cancel

I had to upgrade/Refresh firmware with each battery installed. I always refresh anyway with each battery but this time had a pop up window that said incompatible module firmware, update
Confirm or cancel
and when the battery is getting flashed, it does some cool led dance, which I don't recall happening previously.

I'm sorry, but do you really ever own anything...
Even though I'm still on .400, (my DJI Go is up to date) I fully agree with you - world changes and we move from buying products to buying services. Things like our MPs are mix. And while I was giving my money to DJI I was fully aware that I will own the hardware but for software - I will have to sign to whatever comes.
That's just how things go nowadays - and we can either enjoy it (sometimes carefully - referring to my .400) or get nervous, write thousands angry posts and get a heart attack at the end.
Life is too short, and just one in addition - no point on wasting it in this way.

Posted this elsewhere.
Read carefully. Only need login initially after the update,no requirement to keep logging in or have constant internet/ cellular.
No requirement to update as it says you can stay on older firmware.
Too much misinformation going around.

View attachment 14579

not sure what you mean mate by "misinformation", perhap read my original post, this is in plain English what it says, if anything its being misguided by DJI themselves.

This is what was on my screen before updating. It says nothing about during flight.
Says if you start flying without first being connected and logged in after the updates. My reading and experience of updating and a short flight now show that nothing has been restricted.
If you start out with the app and it crashes the MP will act as it always has and you can RTH or restart app as normal.
Some people's perception is that if app crashes they will have no control of MP. This is false.
After my upgrade I was still logged in as normal, I could fly without internet connection or cellular as normal.

IMG_0138.PNG

Reactions: WDEnterprises
This is what was on my screen before updating. It says nothing about during flight.
Says if you start flying without first being connected and logged in after the updates. My reading and experience of updating and a short flight now show that nothing has been restricted.
If you start out with the app and it crashes the MP will act as it always has and you can RTH or restart app as normal.
Some people's perception is that if app crashes they will have no control of MP. This is false.
After my upgrade I was still logged in as normal, I could fly without internet connection or cellular as normal.

View attachment 14634
i hear what your saying, but a lot of people will be discouraged to even get to that point you are at after reading the official release notes, DJI really need to get there act together and provide accurate information.

Reactions: Michael Ainsworth
Just out of curiosity:
The good old .400 is already gone from official FW availability list.
In point 2. they state that while unsatisfied, you can downgrade to previous version (this looks to me like safety provision covering DJI actions that might be of a legally questionable nature in some countries).

I wonder what they will state, when even the oldest available FW will have login restrictions and users will be not satisfied because of this particular change? To what previous version they will have an option to revert to?

I wonder what they will state, when even the oldest available FW will have login restrictions and users will be not satisfied because of this particular change? To what previous version they will have an option to revert to?

They may elect to keep .700 on the list for longer than usual and they can always offer to allow access to .700 via support as the firmware options you see can be controlled by your login ID to allow access to versions not generally available.

On the Litchi Facebook page, today :
"With the current versions of Litchi (iOS 1.16.12 and Android 3.10.10), if you update to the latest DJI firmware for Mavic Pro (v01.03.0800), Phantom 4 Pro (v01.04.0602) or Phantom 4 Advanced (v01.00.0128) you will be required to log in in DJI Go to unlock the new altitude and distance limitations both for DJI Go and Litchi. The upcoming Litchi versions will automatically unlock the restrictions without having to log in in DJI Go except if you fly in China (in which case log in with DJI Go will still be required but can be done within Litchi)."

This complicates a little bit the use of Litchi (and other 3rd party apps, I guess) as long as an update based on SDK4 is not ready and fully tested. At least, this force you to have the two apps in the same device...

Yes, it would help if someone in DJI could put out a much clearer statement.

And they could post a "FAQ" to provide the Mavic pilots that don't completely understand or may have interpreted the statements for the updates differently. That would clear up all of this confusion.

From my perspective regarding this restriction....

First let me say that I have not updated to .800 and I am still running .400 firmware. The reason for not updating is mainly because in the past when I did update the firmware to .500, .600, and .700 and update the GO4 app as well, I experienced issues like "No Signal", app would freeze and crash, and the dreadful black screen crash, video downlink issues, of the GO4 app. and the list goes on. This is using Android smart phones and tablets and from what we've all read on this forum and DJI's forum, for most of us using Android it has been painful to say the least. Most all Apple iOS users do not experience these issues with the GO4 app. So, I have bit the bullet and will be receiving my new iPad mini 4 tablet today. Also due to these unclear issues in regards to the updated "NFZ" is another reason I am still on .400.

Now, in regards to the "Restrictions if not logged into app before flight" you can not fly above 30m or 90m from home that is added with the new firmware release.... If you look at it from DJI's perspective, it is clearly a preventative safety measure to ensure that the pilot has true LOS if flying solo with the RC prior to take-off. Sometimes we forget to look at things from a different perspective and have an open mind as to understand the reasons why some things change. I'm not saying that I always agree but in this case I feel that it is a good change and do agree. Especially for new drone pilots. This is nothing more than a protective measure that DJI put in place for the Mavic and the pilot IMO.

Last edited:
Posted elsewhere but...

I'm trying to think of a better analogy of how I think the new Firmware/App/SDK system works as it appears to confise so many of us.

By default, when the Mavic powers up- it is "locked".(restricted)

When you connect your device (phone/tablet) via the internet using Go4 (or the newest API) to your DJI account - you download a "Key" to your device. This key stays on you device.(unless you deliberately delete it by clicking on log out)

When the Mavic connects to your device either via Go4 or the API - this key "unlocks" the drone. The drone stays unlocked until it powers down.

Power it back up again and the key is still on the device to unlock it when you re-connect (no internet needed)

This analogy means:
  1. If the App dissects, for some reason, when re-connected the drone is still unlocked
  2. When the drone is powered off (battery change) as soon as it re-connects to the device (phone/Tablet) the key is still on the device and unhooks the drone.
  3. If you fly controller only then the drone is locked (no key on controller).
    1. But first connect with device (and key) to unlock (no internet needed as key is already on device) - then disconnect and fly. Drone remains unlocked until power off.
Now I've no doubt this key has an expiry date (probably several days) and will be refreshed each time your device/Go4 reconnects to the internet. So unless your staying off-grid for months I cant see this being an issue.

I *think* this analogy works. (it's how I'd program it)
Anybody updated and fond something that disproves the above?

And they could post a "FAQ" to provide the Mavic pilots that don't completely understand or may have interpreted the statements for the updates differently. That would clear up all of this confusion.

From my perspective regarding this restriction....

First let me say that I have not updated to .800 and I am still running .400 firmware. The reason for not updating is mainly because in the past when I did update the firmware to .500, .600, and .700 and update the GO4 app as well, I experienced issues like "No Signal", app would freeze and crash, and the dreadful black screen crash, video downlink issues, of the GO4 app. and the list goes on. This is using Android smart phones and tablets and from what we've all read on this forum and DJI's forum, for most of us using Android it has been painful to say the least. Most all Apple iOS users do not experience these issues with the GO4 app. So, I have bit the bullet and will be receiving my new iPad mini 4 tablet today. Also due to these unclear issues in regards to the updated "NFZ" is another reason I am still on .400.

Now, in regards to the "Restrictions if not logged into app before flight" you can not fly above 30m or 90m from home that is added with the new firmware release.... If you look at it from DJI's perspective, it is clearly a preventative safety measure to ensure that the pilot has true LOS if flying solo with the RC prior to take-off. Sometimes we forget to look at things from a different perspective and have an open mind as to understand the reasons why some things change. I'm not saying that I always agree but in this case I feel that it is a good change and do agree. Especially for new drone pilots. This is nothing more than a protective measure that DJI put in place for the Mavic and the pilot IMO.

I think DJI has just cracked under government pressure to add this "safety" feature, and as a massive knee jerk reaction they have responded in the worst possible way by making there loyal users jump through multiple hoops and making it so restrictive that it dilutes DJIs reputation. Worst of all its not a compulsory change and even encourages the user to back date there firmware to what ever if they are unhappy with the new firmware, so anyone wanting to break the law can easily get around it. The users DJI is actually pissing off are the poor loyal user who do the right thing and dont break the law, the poor people who look forward to new firmware updates with new features such as fixed wing mode and goggles.
Im certain if they started advertising this 30mx50m restriction along side there Mavic specs page there sales would drop significantly and enough to impact on there drone market share and quickly promt them to rethink there business decisions.

I think it wont be long before DJI back flip on this "Safety" and come up with another better solution to make there drones safe while not annoying there loyal users. you heard it here first!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clang123