DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

firmware .800 Flight restrictions

OK... get this. Buckle up y'all. I updated my firmware. Flew my Mavic Pro. JUST like when I flew it yesterday.

I know... I know. I thought something crazy was going to happen but nope.
I suspect that almost no one will see a change when they update right now and things will carry on as normal for a while. Everything will be fine, everyone will relax ... (except of course those whose settings are messed up and some things that worked before are no longer functional or available) ... but things will get ironed out and we will live within the limitations that are imposed on us. Then ... suppose this: We have a terrorist incident in a city and an entire area of the country is blanketed as a No Fly Zone. NO one will be able to launch and fly as we do now. Will it happen? I don't know and we've been relatively free from incidents but it might be a good thing if the threat is real and as long as it's not permanent. But if I happen to be in the mountains where there is no threat at all and filming some spectacular scenery with my toy drone (but sophisticated) and that area is closed down arbitrarily I might be a little ticked. In fact ... I might even put my Mavic on Ebay. Our government here in America has not been know to be all that smart and often totally noobs when it comes to technology and just to be sure ... they might just close down the entire country. The Mavic is pretty capable and perhaps that's the reason they just released the Spark and not a Mavic Pro 2? Speculation of course. Will I update? Well my Mavic flies great and everything works ... so why would I? I don't see anything that enhances my experience but I do see the potential for restricting my flying without giving me a reasonable explanation of why I would give them that control. So for now ... I won't and the wifi on my display stays off and all Auto-Updates are turned off. Including System Updates. I'm tired of being messed with because some company want's to see how many of their releases are still being used vs how many were initially downloaded. But that's just me.

If you happen to be in the mountains I assume you won't have your phone connected to the internet or cell service.
It is good practise to make sure you are in airplane mode or using a tablet without cell or internet connected.
You don't need to be connected to fly as normal.

I am not sure what you mean when you say "not all 3 batteries"?

I did the firmware update with one battery, and then flew the quad with the same battery and everything appears to be fine.

Are you saying this update needs to be done with each individual battery you use? I.E., are these smart batteries also required to be firmware updated individually?

I recently updated, but not all 3 batteries, never seen anything actually update with battery changes previously. This time however, mid-flight at distances beyond the limits, received an immediate update warning notice, cleared it, app crashed, no vision, all settings reset. Instant moments of dread fearing a flyaway or something worse, fortunately flew it home blind. 15 minutes of trouble-shooting on the ground, aeroplane mode on the phone magically restored full functionality and all settings.
If you always fly in aeroplane mode you'll likely never see the issue. If you don't, you should. I always will from now on.

I am not sure what you mean when you say "not all 3 batteries"?

I did the firmware update with one battery, and then flew the quad with the same battery and everything appears to be fine.

Are you saying this update needs to be done with each individual battery you use? I.E., are these smart batteries also required to be firmware updated individually?

Yes, all batteries need the update.

If you happen to be in the mountains I assume you won't have your phone connected to the internet or cell service.
It is good practise to make sure you are in airplane mode or using a tablet without cell or internet connected.
You don't need to be connected to fly as normal.
Yes, currently. What about the future? That seems unclear to me. So the purpose of the new firmware and software update is?

They have also happily given you the opportunity to stay with your current firmware OR even downgrade if you so desire.

People are just making a mountain out of a mole here on this issue. .

But wait - wasn't there a blurb by DJI saying if you did not accept the upgrade you would be permanently restricted to the 30m range? Sounds like the ACA "you can keep your health plan".

Reactions: esquire
But wait - wasn't there a blurb by DJI saying if you did not accept the upgrade you would be permanently restricted to the 30m range? Sounds like the ACA "you can keep your health plan".

What i have learnt is DJI is extremely poor at communicating with there users, heres what i have noticed so far:
app has multiple spelling errors (till this day)
descriptions of faults unclear on the app
prompts on DJI app are misleading (such as the flight restrictions)
release notes are (intentionally?) vague but also contradictory

not sure how much more you can go wrong.

I just fly and have fun!
I'M with you guys, everybody Quit Bitchin and fly and have fun!! I swear some people either don't read slow enough or just like Drama! I updated and am fine, no changes, flying like I was before, HAPPY!![emoji16] [emoji2]
They have also happily given you the opportunity to stay with your current firmware OR even downgrade if you so desire.

People are just making a mountain out of a mole here on this issue. I guarantee you that 99.999% of all future purchasers of the Mavic will NOT read the TOS before they make their purchase and they'll be blissfully unaware of these "apparently" terrible and legally questionable TOS.

Reactions: ceirsik
If I don't connect to the internet then there is no way DJi can change my configuration as it is now, and I can fly any place. If I do upgrade the software and the firmware than I have given up my rights to DJ I to enlarge the restricted areas as they see fit or as they are told to do and the firmware will willing abide by those restrictions. It all seems very fishy to me. Yes I understand that nobody is having a problem now but the potential to be denied flying in the future is under DJi's control.

Yes, currently. What about the future? That seems unclear to me. So the purpose of the new firmware and software update is?
What's the purpose of any upgrade be it SW or FM with any computer programme and operating system.
Windows10 does it pretty much every other week.

What's the purpose of any upgrade be it SW or FM with any computer programme and operating system.
Windows10 does it pretty much every other week.

this is very different with new features and software improvements, but Microsoft dosent restrict the user from using there hardware, this is like microsoft throttling your CPU to prevent people from hacking password for example.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mavman
Microsoft does if you try running new or more powerful programmes.
Also try Photoshop, you get the very basic trial programme but to use all the features you need to ante up and pay a monthly fee, can they also increase the price and if don't pay you are locked out of your previous programmes.
Not much different. I could fire many more instances but this has been done to death on a multitude of threads.
My phone Internet in Aus is a data plan, go over the monthly data it is throttled back until the next month, whether that is one week or four.

Also try Photoshop, you get the very basic trial programme but to use all the features you need to ante up and pay a monthly fee, can they also increase the price and if don't pay you are locked out of your previous programmes.
Not much different. I could fire many more instances but this has been done to death on a multitude of threads.
My phone Internet in Aus is a data plan, go over the monthly data it is throttled back until the next month, whether that is one week or four.

i think your way off on this one. none of those examples remotly relate to our discussion. if you are using a trial program such as adobe then its a bit rich to ask for free all the advanced features, your phone data is what you signed up for, if you paid for 3GB then thats all you get. not sure how this relates to FW and software updates.

i would like to hear more about "Microsoft does if you try running new or more powerful programmes."

Last edited:
Once again, what is gained by upgrade

People are just making a mountain out of a mole here on this issue. I guarantee you that 99.999% of all future purchasers of the Mavic will NOT read the TOS before they make their purchase and they'll be blissfully unaware of these "apparently" terrible and legally questionable TOS.
Are you a dji employee?

Reactions: grizzard
The programs that you mention advise when you buy that that's the way it is.
Dji. on the other hand, chaned the rules after the game started.

Reactions: mpa
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NIKLM